C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the std c6 z51 brake pads ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
highflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the std c6 z51 brake pads ??

I have been running my car at Thunderhill and the brakes are perfect for me. Hard braking is very impressive, wear rate is acceptable, no rotor damage, and the dusting doesn't bother me,

I just want to replace the pads with the same thing I have now, when they are worn out.

My car was built in Feb06 with the z51 package. Does anyone know the GM part numbers of the pads that were used on this car ??

I've read every post I can find on z51 brakes but I haven't found this info.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
longboy4
Burning Brakes

Default In 6 minutes you will have the answer.........

Originally Posted by highflyer
I have been running my car at Thunderhill and the brakes are perfect for me. Hard braking is very impressive, wear rate is acceptable, no rotor damage, and the dusting doesn't bother me,

I just want to replace the pads with the same thing I have now, when they are worn out.

My car was built in Feb06 with the z51 package. Does anyone know the GM part numbers of the pads that were used on this car ??

...........when you call your parts dept. at your dealership.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:30 PM
02impactblue
Pro

I just went through this with my car. I have a dec2005 built 06 z51 and I got 5 track days out of the stock pads and was impressed with the performance for stock pads. I called the dealer and gave them my vin# and they ordered me 88965625. These are suppose to be the same pads but they were not. I went to watkins glen last mon-tues on these new brakes (pads and rotors properly bedded) and they where terrible. I got bad fade 5 minutes into the sessions not good doing 145 down the back straight and can't stop. They where gone after 2 days I was on the backing plates driving home plus they left heavy pad deposits on my front rotors. It looks like they actually melted. after I installed them and went through the bedding process I knew something was wrong . They faded terrible during the bedding process. If you find the right replacements pm me the info. Until I get it figured out I'm using c5z06 pads for street and carbo techs for the track.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Replacing mine is in my immediate future.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM
highflyer
Instructor

Default squeeky might be better

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
I just went through this with my car. I have a dec2005 built 06 z51 and I got 5 track days out of the stock pads and was impressed with the performance for stock pads. I called the dealer and gave them my vin# and they ordered me 88965625. These are suppose to be the same pads but they were not. I went to watkins glen last mon-tues on these new brakes (pads and rotors properly bedded) and they where terrible. I got bad fade 5 minutes into the sessions not good doing 145 down the back straight and can't stop. They where gone after 2 days I was on the backing plates driving home plus they left heavy pad deposits on my front rotors. It looks like they actually melted. after I installed them and went through the bedding process I knew something was wrong . They faded terrible during the bedding process. If you find the right replacements pm me the info. Until I get it figured out I'm using c5z06 pads for street and carbo techs for the track.
Your story makes sense to me because I read that GM got many complaints about squeeking z51 brakes and offered replacement pads. Apparently the replacement part number is the same as the stock (quieter but softer) c6 pads.

I'm not sure which pads my car was built with but I assume they were the harder squeeky pads. I'll tell you if I can find out more.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the September 2005 TechLink:

For 2006, a new brake pad is introduced on the Z51 Corvettes for reduced operating noise. It is quieter than the pad used in 2005.

TIP: Use European specification brake pads for autocross competition. However, operating noise will be noticed with these pads.

I don't have part numbers, but you might try ordering the European spec pads.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by Buffy
From the September 2005 TechLink:

For 2006, a new brake pad is introduced on the Z51 Corvettes for reduced operating noise. It is quieter than the pad used in 2005.

TIP: Use European specification brake pads for autocross competition. However, operating noise will be noticed with these pads.

I don't have part numbers, but you might try ordering the European spec pads.
Does anyone know the part# for the european spec pads. I have 7 different part numbers for c6 pads. This is All I wanted is the same exact pads it came with from the factory. I tried to order the part numbers from the 2005 z51 but now I'm told the rear # has been changed.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
Does anyone know the part# for the european spec pads. I have 7 different part numbers for c6 pads. This is All I wanted is the same exact pads it came with from the factory. I tried to order the part numbers from the 2005 z51 but now I'm told the rear # has been changed.
I'm travelling abroad for my airline job right now but I have a set I took off my car early on. If there is a part number on them, I will post back. I know there is at least a pbr number on them.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Zoli007
Racer

Why do you insist on stock pads for track use? They are not intended for that. The are meant for low temp street use.

Its not like they're SO much cheaper than a good track pad is so why not make the switch to a track pad, or at the very least an aggresive street pad.

OEM pads suck on the track. Hell I got mine to fade in one single slow from a quick 140-70 brake. Grabbed nice in the begining and then quickly started losing brake force.

Just my 2 cents but do yourself a favor and get some real pads in there.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
highflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
I'm travelling abroad for my airline job right now but I have a set I took off my car early on. If there is a part number on them, I will post back. I know there is at least a pbr number on them.
Thanks for taking the time to look at your old pads for a number. I'll look forward to whatever you find.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
highflyer
Instructor

I still haven't found this info. ...

My car was built in Feb06 with the z51 package. Does anyone know the GM part numbers of the pads that were used when this car was built ??
Old 08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Here are the part numbers that the July 2005 bulletin calls for to replace the pads on 2005 Z51s where the customer complains of noise; I would assume that these would be the same as the 2006 pads. But we know where assuming gets us!

89060211 Front
88964095 Rear

However, I've heard that these pads are inferior to the original 2005 Z51 squeaky dusty pads; and if you're happy with yours on the track I have to wonder if you don't have those even if your car is a 2006.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ferodo?

We put a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads on a Z06 last month, customer called back estatic with the improvement over stock - very driveable on the street, but they are geared for track day use as well.

I personally have never tracked them on a C6, but have on a variety of other marques and have been very happy with their performance - so please don't take this as a recommendation, more as a suggestion for further research.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Racer C3
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffy
Here are the part numbers that the July 2005 bulletin calls for to replace the pads on 2005 Z51s where the customer complains of noise; I would assume that these would be the same as the 2006 pads. But we know where assuming gets us!

89060211 Front
88964095 Rear

However, I've heard that these pads are inferior to the original 2005 Z51 squeaky dusty pads; and if you're happy with yours on the track I have to wonder if you don't have those even if your car is a 2006.
I picked up new pads for my '05 Z51 at the dealer this morning - and I was hoping I was getting the same pads as the car had originally - but after reading this thread, who knows?

The part numbers for the pads I bought today are:

Front 88965625
Rear 88965628

Old 08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Who knows indeed! Hope they're the same; I'll make a note of those numbers. Looks like there may be some confusion on other part numbers too - I ordered new air filters using the PN in the owner's manual and got what are probably C5 air filters - much bigger than the ones in the car. I found different part numbers for this as well as the windshield wipers in the '06 owner's manual; I'll try ordering these and see what I get.

We may need to start a part number FAQ!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer C6
I picked up new pads for my '05 Z51 at the dealer this morning - and I was hoping I was getting the same pads as the car had originally - but after reading this thread, who knows?

The part numbers for the pads I bought today are:

Front 88965625
Rear 88965628

I just got mine in from Fichtner today

88965625 Front
89026853 Rear

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-16-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Racer C3
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
I just got mine in from Fichtner today

88965625 Front
89026853 Rear
I have to ammend my earlier post. I got those numbers from a print out they gave me - but this afternoon I looked at the boxes, and the part numbers are the same as listed here.

The rears are 89026853 - NOT what was listed on the print out. So I called them up, and they said the part number for the rears has changed, and that's why the print out says one thing, and the box says another. This is crazy making!

Get notified of new replies

To what are the std c6 z51 brake pads ??

Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM
highflyer
Instructor

thanks for the updated part numbers. I know this is all subjective but, please tell me if you can perceive any difference (from the originals) in braking after you install them.

My original pads are about 1/2 gone and the rotors still look perfect but I'll be faced with replacing them soon.

As I learn to drive faster, I have come to sense the limits of the stock pads. After they get really hot the pedal gets really hard with no commensorate increase in braking effect. This is especially noticable when braking from 100+ to 30 at the end of a fast straight.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:05 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

hate to drag up an old thread, but are the oem z51 replacements still these "softer" revised versions?
Old 12-31-2016, 03:46 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
hate to drag up an old thread, but are the oem z51 replacements still these "softer" revised versions?
these are the semi-metallic original part numbers rear p/n-89026853 and front p/n-19152862.they are quite pricey compared to the AC DELCO replacements.they run around $ 350.+ for the set.if you find a cheaply priced replacement set your not getting the good GM ones you are getting the inferior AC DELCO replacements.as long as the good ones are available that is all I will run on my car.I find them to be an excellent pad and the dusting from them is not a concern to me

Last edited by irok; 12-31-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: what are the std c6 z51 brake pads ??