C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 AM
reddevl
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension

I really want to know is there any good way to stop the c6 rear end from oversteering a lot. I have a full time track only c6 which i dont use for many autocrosses but mainly just for road & track events.

i got the car to be at its limits many times and still the rear end steps out little more than i wanted.

any really good aftermarket shocks that can help with my problem. i do know a brand called koni's are out there, can i just have a professional tuner install these in the rear and can i only do rears. I know these shocks are about 250 bucks a piece.

watch the third clip.

http://clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=8FC3B618D7E6CFAB

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

Last edited by reddevl; 08-25-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try getting a larger front sway bar or a smaller rear one, that should reduce/remove the oversteer.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:01 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Looks to me like you are pinching the car in the corner and not running out to the edge of the track at corner exit. Once you hit the apex, you need to free the car up and just let it run to the outside of the track at exit. You don't really have an oversteer problem until you are using up all of the track and have drive slower just to stay on the pavement.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:15 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
You could try getting a larger front sway bar or a smaller rear one, that should reduce/remove the oversteer.
Other way round. A bigger front bar makes the rear loose. A bigger rear bar makes the front loose.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
stapleking
Intermediate

Just buy and install the GM T1 kit - all your problems will go away. 'Cept the one with the driver.....
Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
reddevl
Pro

Originally Posted by stapleking
Just buy and install the GM T1 kit - all your problems will go away. 'Cept the one with the driver.....
i already ordered the z06 rear sway bars. i dont mind the front loose but its the rear i hate when i cant run the power through the corner.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
reddevl
Pro

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
Looks to me like you are pinching the car in the corner and not running out to the edge of the track at corner exit. Once you hit the apex, you need to free the car up and just let it run to the outside of the track at exit. You don't really have an oversteer problem until you are using up all of the track and have drive slower just to stay on the pavement.
its the esses and hard turn ins i am worried about, u are already going in the corner at 45-50 and just little more in and the AH kicks in. i am not worried about car doing a 180 or 360 and going off track, but i want to learn to drive the car at limits before AH kicks in. i am also running bridgestone potenzas through the rest off this year so that by next year i can get some real r compounds.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
reddevl
Pro

come on guys need advice on the oversteer problem. i sat in a c5 z06 those felt more planted than the c6, but one is race inspired sports car while other is just a base sports car.

btw i have the z51 package.

i need suggestions on the shocks now as i already ordered the z06 rear sways.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300cawd
come on guys need advice on the oversteer problem. i sat in a c5 z06 those felt more planted than the c6, but one is race inspired sports car while other is just a base sports car.

btw i have the z51 package.

i need suggestions on the shocks now as i already ordered the z06 rear sways.
The Z06 sways are going to INCREASE OVERSTEER.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Maybe a tad less negative camber too?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
KGB6
Instructor

"I really want to know is there any good way to stop the c6 rear end from oversteering a lot. I have a full time track only c6 which i dont use for many autocrosses but mainly just for road & track events.

i got the car to be at its limits many times and still the rear end steps out little more than i wanted.

any really good aftermarket shocks that can help with my problem. i do know a brand called koni's are out there, can i just have a professional tuner install these in the rear and can i only do rears. I know these shocks are about 250 bucks a piece."

You may want to consider buying a set of adjustable endlinks. They will allow you to control the amount of stiffness applied by the bars.
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&SubGroup=1899
Old 08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
reddevl
Pro

Originally Posted by C6400hp
nope not if i get only the rears, as it will loosen up the front.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
reddevl
Pro

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Maybe a tad less negative camber too?
how do i get the negative camber done on my car.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Other way round. A bigger front bar makes the rear loose. A bigger rear bar makes the front loose.
A bigger front bar adds understeer, a bigger rear bar adds oversteer.

You can also play with tire pressures to make the rear tires stick more, front tires stick less.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I really want to know is there any good way to stop the c6 rear end from oversteering a lot.
How much is a lot?

To reduce oversteer:
A) more front tire pressure or less rear tire pressure
B) larger rear tires or smaller front tires
C) larger front sway bar or smaller rear sway bar
D) less negative camber at the front
E) lower compression in the rear shocks, and/or higher rebound in the front shocks
F) less throttle input

But really, how much is a lot? If you rather new to tack driving, you might simply be able to correct the drivers inputs to the car and change nothing on the car itself! Slowing the rate of steering input can help, a little more respect for the throttle pedal helps, choosing a line that allows you to go full throttle just before arriving at apex can also help, finally, slow down earlier (and a little more).

Finally, a car will have more grip with softer springs, bars, and shocks. Stiff springs, bars, and shocks make the transistion from slipping to sliding easier (in both directions) and more controllable but it is not necessarily faster.

So how much is a lot? In my opinion, a 'lot' is when the steering wheel is more than 15 degrees in the opposite direction as the turn. If the steering correction only goes to straight ahead, you are not really oversteering, but you have simply found where the car has gone truly neutral.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch has some good information to absorb. And stiffening the rear end will make the car oversteer more - just ask *any* front driver. That's why some front drive guys take their front sway bar off completely, to get the rear end to swing more.

Plus, you mentioned the addition of better tires in your arsenal come next year... does that mean you are running the OE runflats now? Just getting rid of the runflat lead-lined sidewalls will drastically change the way your car transitions, off curbs, et al.

Before changing anything drastically, figure out which tires you're sticking with first.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension

Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope not if i get only the rears, as it will loosen up the front.
No it will not, the larger Z06 rear sway bar will increase oversteer. If your Z51 C6 has too much oversteer for you, you either have an alignment problem, or a technique problem. Is this your first rear wheel drive car? The C6Z51 is very neutral with a hint of understeer at the limit unless you power it into oversteer. I would actually prefer more oversteer as it is sometimes hard for me to get the car to rotate on corner entry. Is the oversteer you are experiencing on entry, mid corner or exit?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Many different bits of information here, but I didn't see what I think is the most critical question......have you had the car on a good (and I empahasize "good") alignment machine to see where you're starting from? Shocks alone are not going to change the oversteer/understeer characteristics of a car...whether they be Koni's, Bilstein' or Joe Schmo's. You need to know very accurately what caster, camber & toe settings you have & then work from there. Once you have the alignment right, you can then go to different size sway bars, adjustable link ends, etc. I'm not familiar with your location, but a good, competition chassis shop should have a laser alignment machine like the new Hunter & will now what caster, camber or toe setting to dial in, depending upon your description of the handling.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM
jimc62k7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about parts from: http://www.pfadtracing.com/

Quick Reply: Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension