C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 6 Onstar Vehicle Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:03 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Gen 6 Onstar Vehicle Diagnostics

Last week I upgraded my Gen 5 OnStar on my 2005 C6 to the new Gen 6 (dual mode) OnStar VCIM. The hands free calling, and OnStar connection work, as well as GPS location and remote door unlocking.

What does not work is the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics where the vehicle transmits system status data to OnStar.

I called OnStar and tech support verified that they can not access system status data, and they have elevated this concern to 2nd level support at OnStar. However, I have to wait 3 - 5 working days for them to call me back and at that time I will be out out town while the car is locked in the garage.

Anyone else have this concern or know how to correct this?

Thanks,

Last edited by calemasters; 11-05-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r u nuts........
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Resolution

Originally Posted by calemasters
Last week I upgraded my Gen 5 OnStar on my 2005 C6 to the new Gen 6 (dual mode) OnStar VCIM. The hands free calling, and OnStar connection work, as well as GPS location and remote door unlocking.

What does not work is the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics where the vehicle transmits system status data to OnStar.

I called OnStar and tech support verified that they can not access system status data, and they have elevated this concern to 2nd level support at OnStar. However, I have to wait 3 - 5 working days for them to call me back and at that time I will be out out town while the car is locked in the garage.

Anyone else have this concern or know how to correct this?
RESOLUTION:
There was an issue with the new OnStar Gen 6 VCIM whereas the if the GM LAN went down before the Class 2 line, causing the VCIM to stay power beyond the 24 hours and drain the battery. Therefore, the feature of transmitting system status data to OnStar was disabled on the Gen 6 VCIM to prevent a discharged battery.

As per OnStar, this can be fixed remotely by OnStar Engineering calling the car and flipping the bits to reprogram the VCIM thus enabling the remote diagnosis and system status data to be transmitted to OnStar. So my car will get the fix today, while it sets out in the parking lot at the office. OnStar will only fix a few cars this way on a "one on one" basis, and then the fix will be in the Gen 6 VCIM soon.

This infromation is just FYI, as I am probably not the only person that will have this condition.

As for the above posted question, probably.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:26 AM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by calemasters
RESOLUTION:
There was an issue with the new OnStar Gen 6 VCIM whereas the if the GM LAN went down before the Class 2 line, causing the VCIM to stay power beyond the 24 hours and drain the battery. Therefore, the feature of transmitting system status data to OnStar was disabled on the Gen 6 VCIM to prevent a discharged battery.

As per OnStar, this can be fixed remotely by OnStar Engineering calling the car and flipping the bits to reprogram the VCIM thus enabling the remote diagnosis and system status data to be transmitted to OnStar. So my car will get the fix today, while it sets out in the parking lot at the office. OnStar will only fix a few cars this way on a "one on one" basis, and then the fix will be in the Gen 6 VCIM soon.

This infromation is just FYI, as I am probably not the only person that will have this condition.

As for the above posted question, probably.
I am having the same issue. I called OnStar this past weekend and tell told me that my GPS Antenna (sp) was not transmitting to them. I am out of town all week and will have to try to get to the dealer next week. I did the OnStar upgrade in Sep 06.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by black05c6z51
r u nuts........
Don't think GM needs all that info.

Get notified of new replies

To Gen 6 Onstar Vehicle Diagnostics

Quick Reply: Gen 6 Onstar Vehicle Diagnostics