C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rear main seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 AM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine rear main seal leaking

Has anyone experienced a rear main seal leak in their C6? I have an '05 with only 7700 miles and the seal is leaking badly. I seem to recall an issue with the LS1 on the early C5's, but I thought GM fixed it. I guess not!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Are you sure its oil and not the more likely clutch fluid which is more likely to be dark in color and would come from the bell housing?

Check the clutch master cylinder resevoir.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:15 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Leaking oil can come from several places and run down the back of the block and look like it's coming from the rear main. Check up stream and see if any oil is running down to that area.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Leaking oil can come from several places and run down the back of the block and look like it's coming from the rear main. Check up stream and see if any oil is running down to that area.
Quite true. I had what I thought was a rear main leak on my GTO's motor. It turned out to be a cross-threaded oil gallery plug.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:04 AM
vtvamagic
7th Gear

I have also experienced oil leaking on a new 07 - appears to be under the rear end. I have an appointment next week to take it in.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Duck916
Quite true. I had what I thought was a rear main leak on my GTO's motor. It turned out to be a cross-threaded oil gallery plug.
The oil is definately coming from the flywheel cover/bell housing area. There is nothing wrong with the clutch. Also, Duck916, did your GTO leak after a while or right away? I would think that with a cross-threaded oil galley plug, it would leak from day 1.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:44 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

You need to take it to the dealer. An oil leak is covered no matter where it's coming from. Car's don't leak oil anymore and there is no reason that it can't be fixed.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by overrev64
The oil is definately coming from the flywheel cover/bell housing area. There is nothing wrong with the clutch. Also, Duck916, did your GTO leak after a while or right away? I would think that with a cross-threaded oil galley plug, it would leak from day 1.

Strangely, it took a little while show up. At first the rear of the engine was just dirty-looking, but by around 5000 miles I had a real leak. I think the plug started to back out, causing the leak to get worse.

If the engine were out of the car it would have been obvious where the leak was coming from, but when the motor in place it was a tough diagnosis. The tech ended up using flourescent dye to find the leak.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You need to take it to the dealer. An oil leak is covered no matter where it's coming from. Car's don't leak oil anymore and there is no reason that it can't be fixed.
I know. The problem is that I am not very confident that the work will be done right. The fact that the transaxle, torque tube/driveshaft assembly and clutch assembly have to be removed to fix the problem is not a promising thought.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:22 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

I know. The problem is that I am not very confident that the work will be done right. The fact that the transaxle, torque tube/driveshaft assembly and clutch assembly have to be removed to fix the problem is not a promising thought.
From what I've seen that's not that big of a deal when you have the proper lift and jacks.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
GOOG's C6
Instructor

What color was the fluid?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GOOG's C6
What color was the fluid?
It is definitely oil. There is a trail originating at the bell housing area and going down the oil pan to its lowest point covering the bottom of the oil pan. There is no oil near the drain plug or the filter. There wasn't any oil on the pan when I changed the oil 1500 miles ago. I noticed it when I had the car aligned recently.
I have since taken it to the dealer and all they could do now is put dye in the oil and have me return in 500 miles to black light the area to find the leak.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Like anything else the more you have to disassemble the more chances of errors to go up.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Lexicon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I jut put on the front brake ducts and Z51 front sway bars and...

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM

The oil is in the rear seam but not by the filter or oil plug with a stain on the oil pan but mostly at the seam of the bell housing.

Can you please give an update on your leak progress.

My car is an 07 w/ 6500 miles.

I am in the Seattle area and I know of no good dealerships for service.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lexicon
I jut put on the front brake ducts and Z51 front sway bars and...

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM

The oil is in the rear seam but not by the filter or oil plug with a stain on the oil pan but mostly at the seam of the bell housing.

Can you please give an update on your leak progress.

My car is an 07 w/ 6500 miles.

I am in the Seattle area and I know of no good dealerships for service.
Nothing has changed. I don't drive the car now because winter has finally arrived here in north Jersey. When the salt is off the roads in a couple months, I will take it to the dealer again to have them check for the dye they put in in November. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles on the engine? Check valve covers gaskets, check clutch fluid, make sure PCV is all connected and not loose or a pluged hose to cause seal blowby (have you put an oil catch can on and/or filter plugged), do you have such mods as a blower to boost pressure, and other mods to boost engine pressures and possible seal blowby, etc. Hopefully with a little time and searching you will discover the problem, definitely have the dealer look at if still under warranty and take it to another dealer if not satisified. Good luck
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Ricosuave24
Heel & Toe

Default Real main leak

I have an 07 c6 ls2 and just noticed a leak, the filter has no oil on it but the drain plug does and also on the rear of engine any thoughts? It stops when i put some lucas stop leak for the meantime

Last edited by Ricosuave24; 10-25-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricosuave24
I have an 07 c6 ls2 and just noticed a leak, the filter has no oil on it but the drain plug does and also on the rear of engine any thoughts? It stops when i put some lucas stop leak for the meantime

It's normal had mine done under warranty repair. There known to do this. Gasket goes bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine rear main seal leaking

Quick Reply: Engine rear main seal leaking