C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTE 2005-2007 C6 Corvette L92/L76 Performance Upgrade Package Results

Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

A few questions -

Were these heads "worked" (Port, milled, etc)?

The reason for the more mild cam I am assuming was for daily driveability, but could one go a step more aggressive and see better numbers (by better I mean an increase in power under the curve specifically MORE TORQUE MANG!).

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by valdeztke
A few questions -

Were these heads "worked" (Port, milled, etc)?

The reason for the more mild cam I am assuming was for daily driveability, but could one go a step more aggressive and see better numbers (by better I mean an increase in power under the curve specifically MORE TORQUE MANG!).

Thanks
1. Yes, by us in-house.

2. The very mild cam grind was for drivability and it was specifically what the customer requested/wanted above all-else.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DynoTech Engineering
Not in this case, plus smoothing only goes as high as 5, not 6....

The smoothing tool is only a function of graphical resolution, nothing more and is used to smooth out a jagged dyno curve to make the graph more legible for reading accuracy for some vehicles.

An example~
We sometimes use the higher smoothing functions when we chassis dyno big 4x4 trucks that have huge, heavy, out-of-round tires that shake on the dyno at high speed. That shaking is often picked up by the chassis dyno and shows up on the graph as an occilation, making the graph hard to read due to the waves in the graph line. Higher smoothing rates in this scenario allows us to sift the erroneous data from the good data we're after, so we can effectively read the graph accurately.

Corvette's are not that way and the driveline, wheels and tires are generally smooth in operation at high speed, therefore smoothing isn't required obtain clean dyno data. When a vehicle is properly tuned with a good combination of components, the dyno graph line will appear just as clean and linear in "0" smoothing as it does in "5" smoothing, therefore, there will not be a huge delta of results difference between one level of resolution to another. In this case, our combination produces an exceptionally clean, smooth, linear pull from beginning to redline, so any differences you may see from the hightest resolution to the lowest would only be 1-2 RWHP, *NOT* 10 as you suggest...

We only use the smoothing function to sort out erroneous data from good, accurate data and by selecting the "smoothing 5" function, you're effectively dis-arming yourself of dyno graph resolution, which is foolish if you're a professional tuner that has the equipment.

A power curve on a dyno graph should always be a smooth, linear, clean pull all the way to redline, not jagged and uneven- for *BOTH* extremes of resolution settings.

We tune our vehicles here to carry a smooth, linear pull all the way to redline- in "smoothing 0". If it's not, we find out why and correct the issue before the car leaves. When we have achieved that with our packages, we have done our jobs correctly...
You are correct on the smoothing of 5 not 6. I've had 14 pulls on the same Dyno, same operator and he showed me how higher numbers of smoothing give lower numbers of HP/TQ. My experience shows this on the recorded HP. Dynojet 248, SAE corrected, smoothing "O" will show higher HP numbers than the same run with a smoothing "5". My C6 experience, not a truck.

If you want the highest numbers for bragging use smoothing "O", if you want numbers for tuning use the same smoothing factor for every run.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

That is a very nice L92/L76 curve, especially for such a small cam. No low end torque dip that is typical on these setups on a 6.0L. Nice cam choice, worth keeping a secret.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Do you guys clean up the L76 intake as part of your package?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:04 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Do you guys clean up the L76 intake as part of your package?
Yes. We target the air flow optimization of the entire inlet air tract from the air filter to the cylinder heads.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by haljensen
You are correct on the smoothing of 5 not 6. I've had 14 pulls on the same Dyno, same operator and he showed me how higher numbers of smoothing give lower numbers of HP/TQ. My experience shows this on the recorded HP. Dynojet 248, SAE corrected, smoothing "O" will show higher HP numbers than the same run with a smoothing "5". My C6 experience, not a truck.

If you want the highest numbers for bragging use smoothing "O", if you want numbers for tuning use the same smoothing factor for every run.
I agree, if your car did not have a smooth, linear dyno pull to where the graph was jagged in the highest graphical resolution, than yes, "smoothing 0" would provide you with falsified results. However, if that was the case, than your tuner should have sorted out whatever was causing that problem and corrected it so that it could produce a clean, linear pull in either resolution extreme.

The problem of using using a lower graphical resolution when calibrating a vehicle on the chassis dyno is that if you choose to "numb" the curve by smoothing it out too much, you effectively remove your ability to keenly observe and target minute det. events that can be tuned out with proper calibration. Using a scan tool is not the only means to witness det. and the dyno will pick up the small, discreet reductions in engine power due to det. far easier/faster than you'll ever see it on a scan tool alone. That's why we calibrate our vehicles here to obtain smooth, linear pulls with whatever smoothing method you want to choose- using the scan tool -AND- the chassis dyno tools in tandem with each other. This method of calibration takes much more time, but the end results are far better~ as demostrated here with the power this car produces with such a small camshaft.

As I also stated earlier, the common issue of increased power delta comparing between "0" to "5" was *not* the case with our performance package combination, as it *did* produce a smooth, linear pull all the way to redline and as also stated before, the difference from the highest graphical resolution of "smoothing 0" to the lowest graphical resolution of "smoothing 5" is usually only 1-2 RWHP if the car is built/tuned properly.

Our package only shows a difference of 1 RWHP/1 RWTQ between the two extremes of resolution- as it should be...

BTW- We *always* use the smoothing factor of "0" on our chassis dyno for every car we build here- whether we're "bragging" or "calibrating" the vehicle.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 05-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Was the baseline pull seriously running ~15:1?!? Am I reading that right?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Was the baseline pull seriously running ~15:1?!? Am I reading that right?
The baseline run didn't have the wideband AFR sensor connected to the vehicle, as it didn't matter for us to do so since the car was stone-stock; hence the 15:1 AFR reading you see for that baseline is only the default value the chassis dyno software uses when there is no AFR data requested.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice numbers i have been looking at these for several months as they are bargin for sure. see you saterday vetcop!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:17 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DynoTech Engineering
I agree, if your car did not have a smooth, linear dyno pull to where the graph was jagged in the highest graphical resolution, than yes, "smoothing 0" would provide you with falsified results. However, if that was the case, than your tuner should have sorted out whatever was causing that problem and corrected it so that it could produce a clean, linear pull in either resolution extreme.

The problem of using using a lower graphical resolution when calibrating a vehicle on the chassis dyno is that if you choose to "numb" the curve by smoothing it out too much, you effectively remove your ability to keenly observe and target minute det. events that can be tuned out with proper calibration. Using a scan tool is not the only means to witness det. and the dyno will pick up the small, discreet reductions in engine power due to det. far easier/faster than you'll ever see it on a scan tool alone. That's why we calibrate our vehicles here to obtain smooth, linear pulls with whatever smoothing method you want to choose- using the scan tool -AND- the chassis dyno tools in tandem with each other. This method of calibration takes much more time, but the end results are far better~ as demostrated here with the power this car produces with such a small camshaft.

As I also stated earlier, the common issue of increased power delta comparing between "0" to "5" was *not* the case with our performance package combination, as it *did* produce a smooth, linear pull all the way to redline and as also stated before, the difference from the highest graphical resolution of "smoothing 0" to the lowest graphical resolution of "smoothing 5" is usually only 1-2 RWHP if the car is built/tuned properly.

Our package only shows a difference of 1 RWHP/1 RWTQ between the two extremes of resolution- as it should be...

BTW- We *always* use the smoothing factor of "0" on our chassis dyno for every car we build here- whether we're "bragging" or "calibrating" the vehicle.
You guys have lots more experience and tuning knowledge than I do, all I can go by is my experience where smoothing 0 showed 3.6 HP more than smoothing 5. When we are dyno racing at meets 379 HP looked better than 375 HP.

Now if I could just find a Dyno below sea level on a cold day with high barometric pressure and run SAE uncorrected I might be able to claim 400 HP with bolt ons.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Dyno in the fall.. The weather is always in favor of power production then, as there are a lot of "fast days" in October.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Just a quick update. I picked up the car and it's everything Phil said it would be....and more! I'll write a detailed review after I get some sleep - it's been a long day.

Thanks Phil, Jenny, and crew at DTE! You guys (gal) are the BEST!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks for making me spend more money on the C5 Eric.

Congrats buddy. See you tomorrow night.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM
12oh
Burning Brakes

$6250 installed(parts,labor,tuning) for this pkg. called today and they will only sell it it if they install it, and will not sell the pkg seperately.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 12oh
$6250 installed(parts,labor,tuning) for this pkg. called today and they will only sell it it if they install it, and will not sell the pkg seperately.
for $1,000 more you can have a supercharger installed and tuned. Plus, if you sell the car its much easier to sell the SC then a H/C package.

But I'm going to before I get yelled at.

Didnt mean to step on any toes.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by 12oh
Correct on all 3 accounts.

We've never offered "mail-order" performance upgrades/parts/calibration, nor do we intend to, as that effectively removes the direct personalization we provide to our customers and their Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To DTE 2005-2007 C6 Corvette L92/L76 Performance Upgrade Package Results

Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

OK now, its a DTE thread and I hopped on to say.....

BRACE YOURSELF>>>>

That is the single best low end I have seen:
A-With these heads
B-With a sane cam
C-On stock displacement

Great job; you obviously have a good cam pick there alone with a great tune.

it didnt even hurt
Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 AM
12oh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
OK now, its a DTE thread and I hopped on to say.....

BRACE YOURSELF>>>>

That is the single best low end I have seen:
A-With these heads
B-With a sane cam
C-On stock displacement

Great job; you obviously have a good cam pick there alone with a great tune.

it didnt even hurt
your right! its one of the best l92/l76 dyno graphs on an ls2 i've seen. not bashing,
but it does me no good being in Vegas and their shop being in Indiana.

Last edited by 12oh; 05-18-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Thanks gents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DTE 2005-2007 C6 Corvette L92/L76 Performance Upgrade Package Results