C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: "Check Engine Light"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
dhend25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Check Engine Light"

My "Check Engine Light" came on when I started up today and after a 50 mile ride around town, its still on.

Is it normal for that light to stay lit even after you turn off the ignition and lock the car???

I filled up, for the first time since purchasing the car, last week and almost immediately got the "Service Fuel System" message, but no "Check Engine Light". My gas gauge pegged on "Empty". I checked out the forum and apparently this is a common problem.

When I started up today, the gauge read full (like it should) and the message did not reappear. However, my "Check engine Light" came on steady and is still lit after the car has been sitting for an hour.

I tried fiddling around with the gas cap, which seems to be fine, but no success.

By the way, I filled with "Exxon Supreme" at a well trafficked service station.

I guess my main question regards the "Check Engine Light" not turning off after the ignition is turned off.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

DH
Old 06-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Abomination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that the air filter and all the pieces attached to it, maf, airbridge, etc have no gaps to allow outside air in and double check (I know you just checked :P) that your gas cap is closed, it should click a few times if its tight enough.

Then pull the positive cable off the battery and let everything reset, after a few minutes reattach it. If the CEL comes back on goto a dealer.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:25 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Abomination
Check that the air filter and all the pieces attached to it, maf, airbridge, etc have no gaps to allow outside air in and double check (I know you just checked :P) that your gas cap is closed, it should click a few times if its tight enough.

Then pull the positive cable off the battery and let everything reset, after a few minutes reattach it. If the CEL comes back on goto a dealer.
You will also need to rest your windows, so that they go down when you open the door.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:53 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

You can always stop by your local Auto Zone and have them hook up their error code reader to the ODBII port located directly beneath the steering wheel. With that they can tell you what the code is and clear it.

If it comes back that's a sure sign you have a problem. BTW that service is FREE and takes but a few minutes of your time.

I bought a nice error code reader and so far I've used it at least twice on my C6 and once on my wife’s PT Cruiser and daughters Sebring.

Tom
Old 06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
dhend25
Instructor

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
You can always stop by your local Auto Zone and have them hook up their error code reader to the ODBII port located directly beneath the steering wheel. With that they can tell you what the code is and clear it.

If it comes back that's a sure sign you have a problem. BTW that service is FREE and takes but a few minutes of your time.

I bought a nice error code reader and so far I've used it at least twice on my C6 and once on my wife’s PT Cruiser and daughters Sebring.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

That's not a bad idea.

When I went back out to put the cover on my car, I noticed that the "Check Engine Light" had finally gone out.

I feel better about that anyway. All this stuff started when I filled my tank for the first time last weekend. I plan on driving again tomorrow, so I'll see if the light comes back on or if anything changes as the level in the gas tank goes down.

By the way, where did you purchase your error code reader and approximately how much was it.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Dave
Old 06-09-2007, 07:42 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dhend25
By the way, where did you purchase your error code reader and approximately how much was it.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Dave
From http://www.diydiagnostics.com/

It's the 3rd model from the top - CAN OBDII Code Reader - (adds CANBUS (Controller Area Network) for $59.99.

I've loaned to club buddies and they all rave about it. It works on ANY car maufactured since 1996 too. All the codes are the same.

Tom
Old 06-09-2007, 08:51 PM
dhend25
Instructor

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
From http://www.diydiagnostics.com/

It's the 3rd model from the top - CAN OBDII Code Reader - (adds CANBUS (Controller Area Network) for $59.99.

I've loaned to club buddies and they all rave about it. It works on ANY car maufactured since 1996 too. All the codes are the same.

Tom
Thanks again Tom!

I'll check it out.

Dave
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife really topped off her GMC Sierra pickup and the check engine light came on and stayed for the a while. The service manager said that was normal because it can back up into the vapor evaporation system.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a common problem on 05's built before around 4/1/05. There is a TSB on it and your dealer knows what to do. In my case the left gas tank needed to be removed and a new card installed. Most owners now get a flash and it only takes a few minuets.

Get notified of new replies

To Re: "Check Engine Light"

Quick Reply: Re: "Check Engine Light"