C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel hop!! More passes at the strip...

Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track times

Tom, for what ever it is worth, I went through exactly the same things you are talking about trying to get into the 12's with my 05 MN6. Eventual got POed and put on a set of drag radials, launched at 2500 RPM's, had a 2.0-60' and hit a 12.90 @111 MPH. The best speed I have seen so far on this car is 115 MPH's and I was still in the 13teens because of a bad 60' time on run flats. So you may want to give the DR's a try because I have not had any wheel hop using them. As some have stated, wheel hop will break something eventually and that is one of the reasons I installed a strut brace on my car. It did help and gave me some peace of mind. I would pay very close attention to Rangers comments, he has this stuff down to a science.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

30yr,

That's good advice that I haven't over looked, but I want that <12.99 stock first (at this elevation). Then I'll play w/mods as I can afford them.

I have to ask: what is a "strut brace"? I didn't know that there was a strut on a C6 that needed bracing...
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Well, I was at our ****ty track again last night. I tried to acomplish what we've talked about here, by backing up to wet my tires and then doing a PROPER brake stand.

I got yelled at by the staging director, and told that I'm not allowed to back up, period. I did a burn out (got minor wheel hop) made my pass. After I walked over to the staging area, and asked the Staging director why I couldn't back up. He said that it's an NHRA rule. I pointed out that this wasn't an NHRA event (it's just "club night") and therefore I ought to be able to back up and wet my tires. We got into a pissing match, he tried to kick me out of the track, which I informed him he had no authority to do, and continued to make runs. Here is rules right from the RMR hand book, which are NOT the same as NHRA rules, by the way:

WATER BOX / BURNOUT AREA: Watch the Staging Director for your signal to pull out for your burnout. If you are not ready you are subject to being disqualified. Do not pull out until you are signaled. All vehicles with street tires are to drive around the water box, no wet burnouts, NO EXCEPTIONS. Burnouts are allowed in the burnout area only. Burnouts are to be done in a forward motion only. No person is allowed to hold or touch vehicle during burnouts. Do not begin your burnout until signaled by the Starting Line Coordinator

On another note, check this out. The following is a copied and pasted email that I sent to the drag strip manager earlier this morning. The email below tells what happened last night, and should clarify what we have to work with here in Utah, drag strip wise. Read on...

Ron,
So last night, my fiancé arrived at right about 7:00 PM to spend time being part of “what I do” at the track. She was denied entrance at the gate by a staff member because she didn’t have a ticket. There was another woman and her child at the gate too, hoping to be w/her husband who was also racing, but she was not allowed to enter either, because she also had just arrived and didn’t have a ticket. So even though these girls are trying to get in to be w/their significant-others’ who are there racing (and have paid), they aren’t allowed in because they don’t have tickets. “Spectator” tickets by the way, are over priced at $15 for this non-event. Now keep in mind, these girls aren’t there to “spectate” they are there to spend time w/us, their significant-others. Now here is the kicker. This is good, so get ready…

Ticket window was closed.

Unbelievable. Let’s break this down. It’s 7:00 PM and 1 and a half rounds are finished. The stands are EMPTY –meaning no one comes out to pay money to watch this “non” event. Short story: There ain’t much to see, and even less to be charging money for. So of course, now I have new questions:

1. Why are we charging wives to be w/their husbands? If they left work early and came with us in the first place, they could come in w/us IN the car, and no one would say a thing about it!
2. Why are we charging $15 for an “event” that no one wants to see? Just give then an arm band and let them in for crying out loud!
3. Do you know how hard it is to get a woman to come out to a place like this? And then have them get jerked around at the gate? Do you think these women will be inclined to come back? Do you think that “I’ll” (“I” meaning any guy w/a girl who faces these ridiculous obstacles) keep coming if my girl won’t ever come again?
4. How is a person supposed to enter the track when: 1. You can’t buy a ticket, and 2. Staff won’t allow entrance w/o a ticket?

This would make a perfect “Dilbert” comic strip.

Thomas Kendrick
Director of Vehicle Maintenance & Trails/Grooming
The Canyons Resort
435-615-3320
435-640-6232

Amazing huh?

What I did learn last night is that if I slip the clutch a lot, starting my burn out, it doesn't "bounce" the drive train and I can get the wheels going w/o hopping. But this is not conducive to doing a brake stand, because by the time I get the clutch all the way out, I'm moving way too fast.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-20-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Let us know what the response to your email is.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
The C6 is not a drag racer. And if you continue like you are going, its just a matter of time before you bust something and end up on a flatbed.

Put it on a road course, thats what it's built for. Its independant rear suspension, and rear mounted transmission mated to the differential is not a drag racing setup.
Opinions vary.

These cars have seen well into the 8 second range on a drag track.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Well, I was at our ****ty track again last night. I tried to acomplish what we've talked about here, by backing up to wet my tires and then doing a PROPER brake stand.

...What I did learn last night is that if I slip the clutch a lot, starting my burn out, it doesn't "bounce" the drive train and I can get the wheels going w/o hopping. But this is not conducive to doing a brake stand, because by the time I get the clutch all the way out, I'm moving way too fast.
Given the local rules you must deal with, I'd skip the burnout altogether for the sake of driveline longevity. During the burnout slipping the clutch and hopping whatsoever are violation that can lead to breakage.

The burnout requires some water to get the wheels spinning without trauma and the brakes are a necessary component. Your track seems the wrong place to attempt a burnout.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 07-20-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Ranger
Your track seems the wrong place to attempt a burnout.

Ranger
I know. With the C6 anyway. As I posted before, my F-bod's used to fire up the tires in second gear w/no water, and no drama.

The next closest track (Vegas) is 6 hours away.

I really wish these guys here would "fix themselves" and offer up services that are useable. I'm never going to get anywhere making 2-3 passes per night at best, no warm-ups, infrequent schedule, etc. How frustrating.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:27 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Bilstien Sport shocks should help your wheel hop. They did mine.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
Let us know what the response to your email is.
O.K. It took a while for a response but here they are in order....

Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:57 PM
To: Tom Kendrick; Dragmgrrmr@aol.com
Subject: RE: Club night last night...

Tom,

This ones easy.
I assume you and your wife have cell phones?
Just buy her ticket when you arrive and meet her at the gate with it when she arrives. That way you have no worries about arrival time!

Doug

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 8:28 AM
To: Doug Binstock

I suppose. The problem last time was that the “system” in place was different than the last time she came down, and that time was different than the time before that. Basically one of my bullet points in my email to you guys 4 years ago: hitting a moving target.

Anyway, still doesn’t solve the problem of getting her an arm band. Can I get an arm band for her?

I still don’t know why she needs to pay when arriving that late; You know when you go to a club, they have a cover? You know when you go late, they quite selling tickets/cover, b/c there isn’t much left to see? Normally one would expect that if they arrive late, AND the ticket window is CLOSED….they’d just be given and arm band (stamp, or whatever) and let in. I don’t know why I should have to make a plan in advance to cover RMR’s service short coming, PLUS, pay $55.00 to make 2-3 heads-up type, runs (then get eliminated in an event that I don’t care about). Not worth it. L Geez! If the ticket window is closed, you’re already not making money on anyone who shows from then on anyway….just let ‘em in!

So is the final verdict that I need to buy tix in advance, for some one who shows up after the tix window is closed?

Thomas Kendrick
The Canyons Resort

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 9:04 AM
To: Tom Kendrick
Cc: Dragmgrrmr@aol.com

Tom,

I can only do what is economical for us as a business. I can’t spend hundreds of dollars to suit everyone’s individual needs. We staff for the majority and set policies the same way.

You need to figure out how to work within our operating hours….just like going to any other business!

Doug

Doug,

In this case I’m not asking you to “spend hundreds of dollars [on my] individual needs”…it’s already been decided that you’re done collecting revenue, when you close the ticket windows! Furthermore, the lack of any type of apology for my girl getting shut down at the gate (while simultaneously being unable to purchase a ticket) is pretty poor guest service recovery.

My “expectations” of a drag track experience were set years ago at tracks back east, and more recently reinforced by other tracks out west. In my experience, RMR is the anomaly with regard to service offered, user (un)friendliness and passes to cost ratio. I’m certainly not the only person who feels this way either; when I talk to people at auto cross events, MMP, and even at your track, the consensus is pretty clear that RMR isn’t in touch w/the what people (young people at least) want, and that is unfortunate because the facility is so nice, and so local.

I’ve tried to become involved, emailing you some of my ideas that I think would improve service, and profit. The reason why I’ve done this is that I’m invested in this track because I love running my car at a track, “chasing that number”, and you’re the only game in town. Therefore, it behooves me to try to help the track be as good as it can be. Unfortunately, I’ve really gotten no where, and in 10 years of living in Utah, still have not been able to figure out how to run a car down that track, enough times to learn something, for a reasonable price…and with out some type of disorganized hassle.

Doug, one time years ago, in an email to me you said, “It seems as though were always being attacked rather than spoken too. I don't know what it is about this sport but people can be extremely rude and abusive to my staff.”

I’ve witnessed this at your track a lot (though not at any other track) way more than anyone should have, and I’ve even been part of the problem, I’ll admit. Why does this happen? Because the people who go there aren’t getting the “product” that they want. The folks that come out are so personally invested in what they’re doing that they don’t have much room for interference w/their mission (whatever that is for them). Things that I’ve mentioned before to you that “interfere” are:
*Inconsistencies in scheduling, process, and rules,
*Overly complicated processes,
*Poor “bang for the buck”, and mostly
*Rules and processes that defy common sense and reason! (the original subject of this email is a perfect example of this: no way to pay money or/to get into the track)

The whole process for running one’s car there needs to be massively streamlined, and then solidified to be consistent. THAT would seriously cut down on the frequency of altercation between you and your staff. In short, instead of making it “hard” to run a car at RMR, your organization needs to figure out how to make it “easy” and consistent. That way, drivers can focus on their mission at the track: whatever that is for any given person.

I think that ultimately, RMR is just not responsive to the demand of the SLC public, and changes in demography. Unfortunately, until there are changes at RMR I’m simply not going to get what I’ve been looking for at that track. I just need to accept that, and give up on drag-tracking my car until some type of major change occurs. A real shame, in my opinion.

Thanks again for taking the time to write back; that is honorable of you, even if you don’t see the point I make, at least you’ve provided the courtesy of responding, and that counts for a lot. Take care, Doug.

Thomas Kendrick
The Canyons Resort
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 PM
tluck
Pro

Originally Posted by sscamaro
Bilstien Sport shocks should help your wheel hop. They did mine.
Didn't help me with BFD drag radials. I'm going to try coil overs next.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Last trip to the track last night. (track doen't schedule any more T&T's or anything for the rest of the season -even though weather is favorable).

Here is the data. Clearly, I didn't acheive my goal, even though I was close on my first pass....

http://www.3si.org/forum/attachment....6&d=1189223877

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 09-07-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I thought i read on another thread that when you race, you keep the throttle floored the entire time, is this not true?

Even on my 10.85 stock pass, I was 100% off the throttle during the shifts. How fast you get back to the floor is governed by traction. At your track, the feedback the surface is giving you is "slower squeeze post-shift."

Ranger
Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 AM
cobra-info
Intermediate

Just my opinion but, In the past owning a car with an independent rear suspension that was always wheel hopping I put nitto drag radials on it and the problem was solved 27 psi on the street 14 psi at the track.

Anyone???

You may also have to ditch the bling bling 19's for some 18's out back in order for it to work. I don't know of any tire Co. that is making a DR in 19's...... Just my $.02
Old 09-08-2007, 03:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by jesse12804
"DA 7600' "??Does that mean 7600 FT above sea level?If so,what's the corrected time of the run if you were at normal level??If it's mid 12's corrected,you're right on,time wise.
Thats what I was thinking, pretty darn good and with room to spare...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by robl45
I thought i read on another thread that when you race, you keep the throttle floored the entire time, is this not true?
Actually that is incorrect. In my C5Zs I often power-shifted the 3-4, but only a few times any of the other shifts. On that car, power-shifting produced wheel spin on the 1-2 and 2-3, except in extraordinary track conditions. That makes the pass slower not faster. I perfected fast shifts that include 100% throttle lift during clutch in.

On the C6Z, I experimented with power-shifting the 3-4 and dropped the approach. On the stock untuned PCM Torque Management reacts badly to power-shifts. And my goal is faster, not slower.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 09-09-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Good point on the shifting concept, Ranger. Just little things like that makes a difference on your ET.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Perfect thank you.

Actually that is incorrect. In my C5Zs I often power-shifted the 3-4, but only a few times any of the other shifts. On that car, power-shifting produced wheel spin on the 1-2 and 2-3, except in extraordinary track conditions. That makes the pass slower not faster. I perfected fast shifts that include 100% throttle lift during clutch in.

On the C6Z, I experimented with power-shifting the 3-4 and dropped the approach. TM reacts badly to power-shifts. And my goal is faster, not slower.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel hop!! More passes at the strip...

Old 09-08-2007, 10:43 AM
GMRULZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I just got back from another night at our crappy strip. I managed to get in 4 T&T runs tonight, by lying about the number of runs I'd made to the staging lanes manager.

I've got two problems;
1. I can NOT get this car to 60' in less than 2.1x. Most of the time, it's 2.2x, and sometimes as bad at 2.3x Just terrible. I used to nail 1.8x's in my Trans Am all the time, on BFG R1 KDW's. I know that the run flats are harder to work with, but I swear, it feels like they're on grease compared to what I'm used to. There's just NO traction at all. I'm running 24-26 PSI, and tonight I was launching from 1000 to 1100 RPM. Roll off the clutch nice and smooth over about 1 full second, and be to 3/4 throttle by the time the clutch is out. WOT at any time in first gear resulted in wheel spin.

2. Wheel hop during burn outs. I can't believe that I didn't pop my diff tonight. The harder I tried to do a burn out, the more wheel hop I got. ANd I got a LOT!. SO much, something was "thumping" under the car; sounded sort of like the trans was hitting the floor pan. WICKED ANNOYING! The F-bods NEVER did this. Ever. No way could I even think about doing a proper brake stand and really cranking on the tires. Car just won't do it.

I don't know what to do (with my driving). I can't do a good burn out b/c of wheel hop, and I can't lay down a decent 60' to save myself. Grrr. My first pass tonight in 100* heat and a DA of 7600' was a lousy 13.3 and that was on a 2.3 sixty...so once again, 12.9x's were possible....if I could get any traction.

Bilstien sports for z51 mn6 cars. They have helped me w/ stock tires, I still get some hop w/ too agressive a launch, but no where near as bad. You need to go to a track rental where you can perfect your launch and take your time, no rush at rentals. Last track rental I went too I ran 22 times... I got better all day long...
Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by robl45
I used to w/my F-bodies for sure. WOT the entire time down the track, even during shifts. But Ranger is right here:
In my C5Zs I often power-shifted the 3-4, but only a few times any of the other shifts. On that car, power-shifting produced wheel spin on the 1-2 and 2-3, except in extraordinary track conditions. That makes the pass slower not faster. I perfected fast shifts that include 100% throttle lift during clutch in.

On the C6Z, I experimented with power-shifting the 3-4 and dropped the approach. TM reacts badly to power-shifts. And my goal is faster, not slower.
I've learned pretty much the same thing: On my car, at my track, any power shift -even the 3-4, results in wheel spin (hop as well on the 1-2 shift), that does nothing but slow my run.

I'm not looking for advice on the wheel hop anymore. I've learned that to do a burn out, I have to release the clutch slower to avoid "shocking" the drive train, then hit the brakes slower too. Wierd, but it works. I've eliminated wheel hop on the 1-2 shift by lifting the throttle and slipping the clutch a bit on release too.

I only posted so others could review the break outs. Like Ranger, I'm showing some possible TM intervention if you compare my first run, w/my last; the last run, I did a longer burn out, and got a better 60' (though still pretty chitty), and then proptly gave up an equal amount from the 60' to the 330'.

For S&G's, here is a vid of my last (5th) run of the night. This was against a '99 C5 LS1 auto, w/a Twin Turbo kit. He was dialed .7 slower than me and I still ran him down.

http://www.youtube.com/v/lS6OQtGLYrM

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 09-08-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Trouble your warranty is not likely to cover while you are chasing that time which you probably will never hit.. And if you do hit it, it will possibly be after considerable expense replacing parts which were casualties of the "learning" process.
Well dude... I hit it. 5 times in a row, last night...and I haven't broken a thing. But thanks again for all your support!

Anyway, here is a spread sheet, (thanks again to Ranger) that shows last nights results.
EDIT: Fast forward to post #74 for spread sheet

A few observations and questions.
Coolant temps at the start of my runs last night were:
You'll note that on the right, there is column w/results from last year when I was getting LOW 13's, and bad 60' times. Look at the DA. Also that is in 90*+ temps. Last night, you'll see the DA was ~6000' and temps were in the 60's. -About as good as you ever see in UT.

BUT I didn't run 1 mph faster...IN SPITE of moving my shift points from 6k to 6500 RPM. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also my first pass was an absolute disaster, in real life, though it looks good on paper. I went around the water box, backed into it (w/o getting yelled at), pull out of the box about 4', and proceeded w/my burn out. Immediately got TONS of wheel hop and aborted. Tried again, more hop. Tried a (now) dry hop and got more wheel hop. Pulled up to the line, very disappointed, and staged knowing that I'd have to launch soft, since I didn't get a real warm up. Lunched soft, and after about 40' or so, tire broke loose and....started hopping. I stayed in it b/c I was so pissed and it hopped all the way through 1st! Shifted to 2nd and it hopped 3/4 of the way through 2nd. Hit 3rd (not power shifting BTW), and it' hopped for probably 8 "hops". Hit 4th, and 3 more hops. I KNEW that had to be a 13.5 run...or worse, but you see the time slip was a 12.91, and what's even more focked up is that was on a 1.99 60'...my BEST EVER!???

The rest of my burn outs were smoooooooooooth, fun, effortless and resulted in good traction -even though I used the EXACT same technique! I don't get that either.

So, why w/higher RPM shifts (supposedly better), cooler air did I gain no mph?

Why was my wheel hoppin', crap warm-up run as good or in some aspects better than the others??

Aside from the questions that I "don't get", it was a great night, and I FINALLY achieved the goal I've had for this car since I bought it; run 12's box stock, at this elevation. This puts me a SOLID, 1 second+ ahead of any other C6 I've seen at our local track. Most run low 14's.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-28-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel hop!! More passes at the strip...