C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N and Free Air Mod Using Toggle Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 99
Ok thanks thats good, i was messing around with it tonite and although i didn't see it mentioned or missed it, it seems apparent that the filter box and bridge must be removed first to be able to 'work' in the area i thought i would be able to open up the shroud with the filter assembly in place, but it's no biggie, thanks again.
Hi...you do NOT need to remove the filter box or bridge!!!
You are not removing the shroud, you are simply spreading it open it at the bottom of the shroud! You open up the shroud from underneath the car!!

Last edited by siffert; 02-21-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert
Hi...you do NOT need to remove the filter box or bridge!!!
You are not removing the shroud, you are simply spreading it open it at the bottom of the shroud! You open up the shroud from underneath the car!! See the below thread to see exactly what you need to do. Its just under the front bumper!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1747569

AHHH, stupid me i thought it opened at the top, this explains alot, so looking at the car from the front the shroud would have to be pulled towards the front of the car?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 PM
siffert
Safety Car

AHHH, stupid me i thought it opened at the top, this explains alot, so looking at the car from the front the shroud would have to be pulled towards the front of the car?
No...facing front you are pushing the bottom of the shroud underneath the car toward the back of the car. As explained in that thread, you'll need to remove 2 push pins and then with the toggle bolts you "spread/push" the shroud back away from you...about 3". You need to get your head underneath the car with a light to see. Its directly behind the grill underneath the car.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

No...facing front you are pushing the bottom of the shroud underneath the car toward the back of the car. As explained in that thread, you'll need to remove 2 push pins and then with the toggle bolts you "spread/push" the shroud back away from you...about 3". You need to get your head underneath the car with a light to see. Its directly behind the grill underneath the car.
Ok got it, i had already bought the toggle bolts at HD after i originally read your post last week so im good there, will i need to remove the Racemesh Grill or i can acess it from behind? thanks a mill
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Ok got it, i had already bought the toggle bolts at HD after i originally read your post last week so im good there, will i need to remove the Racemesh Grill or i can acess it from behind? thanks a mill
Do not remove your Racemesh, you can much better access it from behind. In essence you are going to lay down on your back and sliding a bit so to get your head underneath and looking up. Its right where the underneath painted facia ends.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
mike12345
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issue with 08 Z51 MN6 oil cooler bracket

Has any one figured out a way to do this mod with an 08 Z51 MN6? I was going to try it this afternoon but the oil cooler bracket is attached to the shroud right next to one of the two push pins.

It looks like if you move the shroud..even on the side away from the oil cooler....the oil cooler is going to hit the radiator.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mike12345
Has any one figured out a way to do this mod with an 08 Z51 MN6? I was going to try it this afternoon but the oil cooler bracket is attached to the shroud right next to one of the two push pins.

It looks like if you move the shroud..even on the side away from the oil cooler....the oil cooler is going to hit the radiator.
There is a guy on these forums "11secondgp" who I know has done the free air mod on his '08. PM or whatever him.

Edit: I think the problem is that you have Z51 option which has that extra oil cooler & line and is not to be found on the base FE1 C6. Thus, the guys doing the free air mod on the LS3's must not have Z51.

Last edited by siffert; 02-11-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

Do not remove your Racemesh, you can much better access it from behind. In essence you are going to lay down on your back and sliding a bit so to get your head underneath and looking up. Its right where the underneath painted facia ends.
Thanks for posting and the tips, was able to do it today with the help of 60* plus temp's
Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Thanks for posting and the tips, was able to do it today with the help of 60* plus temp's
Great! Your car should feel a bit faster too!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Anyone with a Z51 or a Z06 done this free air mod?

Any issues doing the free air mod with the Z51 or the Z06 oil cooler, or is the oil cooler in the way?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:49 PM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

z51 here would like to do this mod, concern is that , gm engineers are not stupid why is the system sucking warm air to start, the whole front of the car is one big scoop. I do think the car pulls back timing when the enigne and air are hot. so it is a great mod but are the gm vette guys going to leave free hp on the table for no reason? I know a bunch about cars but these guys are better engineers than most will ever hope to be and I know that big companies are comprimise this for that but what gives?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Wallacefl
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3FORME
z51 here would like to do this mod, concern is that , gm engineers are not stupid why is the system sucking warm air to start, the whole front of the car is one big scoop. I do think the car pulls back timing when the enigne and air are hot. so it is a great mod but are the gm vette guys going to leave free hp on the table for no reason? I know a bunch about cars but these guys are better engineers than most will ever hope to be and I know that big companies are comprimise this for that but what gives?
Big issue for the engineers is sucking water... have heard rumors of more than one Vararam with a wet air filter after a down pour here in Florida...be afraid
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallacefl
Big issue for the engineers is sucking water... have heard rumors of more than one Vararam with a wet air filter after a down pour here in Florida...be afraid
Sounds like the air filter did it's job then.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
stevestig
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For the guys that have done this mod; have you driven you car in rain with the shroud propped open? Have you checked for water incursion at the filter or past it?

My guess is that chance for hydro lock is non existant unless you are in 2 feet of water, but there is a chance (good chance) of getting the filter wet in a hard rain. What about past the filter?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've driven in hard rain with the K&N, propped shroud, AND the vette-air scoop...never had a problem.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie
Anyone with a Z51 or a Z06 done this free air mod?

Any issues doing the free air mod with the Z51 or the Z06 oil cooler, or is the oil cooler in the way?
I added Z06 cooler to my C6. No issues.

Rather than toggle bolts, I used rubber bushings left over from my Bilstein install. They work very well, and have a nice, finished look.

This mod works.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by stevestig
For the guys that have done this mod; have you driven you car in rain with the shroud propped open? Have you checked for water incursion at the filter or past it?

My guess is that chance for hydro lock is non existant unless you are in 2 feet of water, but there is a chance (good chance) of getting the filter wet in a hard rain. What about past the filter?
I did it with the stock 08 filter and it got wet and the car missed like crazy the next morning. After a bit on the interstate it smoothed right out. I think with the K&N style filter you would be fine since it's oiled and will repel a little water where the stock unit is paper and soaked the water up. I think it got on the maf sensor and caused the miss for a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N and Free Air Mod Using Toggle Bolts

Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a great mod. I am going to try it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a kinda hair brained idea, What if you took one of those cold packs for your back/neck and velcroed it to the inside of the air inlet on any cold air system to cool the air....Anyone think it would work. You can freeze them, and i would think that air going across it would definately cool the IAT down... I figure it might help in the summer.

Daren
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 06C6FVR
I just had a kinda hair brained idea, What if you took one of those cold packs for your back/neck and velcroed it to the inside of the air inlet on any cold air system to cool the air....Anyone think it would work. You can freeze them, and i would think that air going across it would definately cool the IAT down... I figure it might help in the summer.

Daren
The velocity of the air is quite fast and the temp drop would be pretty small. Also, air passing over the pack wouldn't transfer much heat either- it's an inefficient way to do it. For any effect at all, you'd probably need a radiator like device, like used on turbo intercoolers.
But hey, give it a try and let us know if it works.

Quick Reply: K&N and Free Air Mod Using Toggle Bolts