C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues and Annoying problems with the C6 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
NYCMAN
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juliet
Just thought I'd follow up that the problem was a bad steering wheel sensor. They swapped it out and it's been fine since! ~Juliet

Thanks for the update....all this insight is really helping me.

Many of you have had or have the rear end chatter and most have solved by changing the GM fluid- by dealer...but for some it has returned
Others have changed it themselves and totally used a different brand of fluid...

Has this problem returned recently for anyone?....and is it just an annoyance or has it or does it spawn into a worse problem?

again thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gtovett
I bought mine new in january of 06 has 8000 miles on it and have had quite a few problems.
GTOvett, since you helped me in diagnosing my 'early fuel shut off' issue, I thought the least I could do was return the favor. So, I looked at your list of reported problems:

Brake Squeal - hasn't happened to me.

Steel belting came out of rear tire- hasn't happened to me.

Dealer scratched rim and replaced it with cheap POS nock[sic] off - hasn't happened to me.

Roof creaking and popping - hasn't happened to me.

Shifter rattling - hasn't happened to me.

ashtray popping open - hasn't happened to me.

Drivers door rattle - hasn't happened to me.

extremely slow oil leak on oil pan - hasn't happened to me.

Pretty clear that since none of those things happened to me, the problem can't be the car, it's just something in how you are using it.

Glad to be of help.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Mark from Ork
Mine had the radio going silent problem. It magically stopped one day.

I have 05 vert 6-sp z51.

The transmission is somewhat clunky. It's now at the point (15k mi) where every 10th 15th stoplight the car will not shift into 1st or 2nd no matter how hard you lean on it.

I've read elsewhere that this problem exists with this transmission.

So I've got a scheduled appt into the dealership next week. Why can't they take my car right now to fix the transmission? Because they ALREADY HAVE 4 CORVETTE C6's in their shop with transmission problems...

And why is the shifter throw so long?? This is a sports car with 400+ hp. Can't they build a reliable transmission to handle it and put a shifter on it that doesn't take a foot long pull to go from gear to gear???

I just got a Dodge Viper too and the transmission is smooth as ice compared to the Vette.
They did. It took until '08. But they put in the same man trans as the Viper/Ford GT. It's the Tremec T-6060. Replaces the T-56. Throws much better, smoother shifting, shorter shifting, no need for aftermarket shifter (Kirban, B&M, Hurst, Callaway, etc.).
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

06 MN6 vette with about 7000 miles....
Had the ABS module die around 6000 miles... expensive at almost 1000 bucks but was covered under warranty. Electronic repairs on C6 tend to be pricey if you don't have warranty IMO.
Rear end chatter at 6500 miles. Changed fluid myself to Amsoil and modifier and now quite. Had roof done...... Car has been tons of fun and worth the small problems I've had. I'm however amazed at your problems with the G35. Wife had an 04 with 60,000 and ZERO problems. Traded it in for an 07 that's been rock solid so far. Guess it only proves that every car can be problematic at times. They are all machines and everything breaks sooner or later........
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM
irollinavette
1st Gear

I have a 2005 C6 Convertible with a 6 speed. I was showing it off to a car enthusiast neighbor of mine and on hard acceleration from 2nd to 3rd, it wouldnt go into gear and in fact the gears ground........it hurt man. We still had an awesome time. I havent rode my Harley since getting the Vette.....Im taking offers.....
Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 AM
frankz06_cf
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default my C6 recurring issues

I'm the original owner of my 2007 Corvette that will be 12 years old in the spring. One recurring issue it has had is the seat memory, it forgets and will go to some position that I did not set. When it was under warranty the dealer fixed it three times or four. The memory module was replaced one or two times, I've tried resetting it with a procedure I got here on the forum. I'm the only one that drives it so I stopped using it, I would use it when it was under warranty so that the seat would move to the exit position when I parked. I tuned off that feature. I've noticed if I set the memory every day then it remembers.

When it was brand new the roof made that creaking noise, but I bought a special lubricant from GM that costs $50.00 for a small bottle, that solved the problem. For the windows I use GM Silicone Lubricant.

I'm very picky so every time something is not right I take care of it right away so I've taken it in a lot. The biggest problem under factory warranty was the harmonic balancer that was making an unusual noise.

Under extended warranty the Heads Up Display had to be replaced. The steering wheel would make a whining sound (very low) when the wheel was turned quickly, that problem has come back. It's not something that will stop it from working but a new C6 wouldn't do that.

I've had some other minor issues such as a Bose speaker going bad. I've had to replace the gas cap about three times, it would not close properly causing a check engine light. It now has a small oil leak at the front engine seal, and possibly the oil pan. I could change it for a new one but in addition to the cost I'm kind of attached to the car. I always wanted a Corvette and this is my first one. I wish I could keep it and afford a new one and some more such as a C4, C5 and some others cars such as a Trans Am from the late 70's A third generation Camaro, a Grand National and a daily driver. :-)

Originally Posted by NYCMAN
Hey guys just looking for some first hand insight on the C6 , I am in the market for one...and used own a G35 coupe...got rid of it due to 2 many annoying issues big and small - from trannies to blown head units

So wanted to know from all you C6 owners what are some of the most common issues and even annoyances if any with the C6
what should I look out for?

thanks in advance!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 676 Posts

^^^

A decade after the OP asked the question, he has probably sorted out the answer.

The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:15 PM
baeteart
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
Had my 06 for a year. Speaking from my experiences.
The rear end chatter issue is my only problem.
Dealer fixed first time with the fluid change and additive.

I did it myself when it came back and did the double dose of additive this time. Problem gone again.

Some have claimed to eliminate the problem entirely using Non GM fluids.

Just might be something I have to do regularly. Time will tell.

No harder then an oil change. I didnt even have to jack up the car.
But I will use a pump next time to make the job even easier rather then a flow tube on the bottle.

Re-torqued a loose rear axle nut.
The windshield glass tends to chip easier then my C4.

Thats about it for me.
When you mention rear axle nut are you referring to the wheel lug nuts or is there a "rear axle nut"? where?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by baeteart
When you mention rear axle nut are you referring to the wheel lug nuts or is there a "rear axle nut"? where?
Holy old thread.

Rear axle nut, on the axle. Hub side of axle is splined and threaded with a large nut that likes to loosen.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I have some annoying little gremlins. 2nd day after I bought the car the mirror compass stopped working. 2 months later started working again. One time at night some radio lights didn't come on. Turned the lights off and on again they were fine. Just today I noticed my daytime running lights were off. Little stuff.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:49 AM
baeteart
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Unreal
Holy old thread.

Rear axle nut, on the axle. Hub side of axle is splined and threaded with a large nut that likes to loosen.
Thanks...will have it checked!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it myself when it came back and did the double dose of additive this time. Problem gone again.

But I will use a pump next time to make the job even easier rather then a flow tube on the bottle.

Thats about it for me.
Curious, what was the car doing to have to re-torque axle nut?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:10 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Here is my experience. The first time, the dealer replaced "the module" for the passenger side bag. Seemed to work for about six weeks. Then, light came on again. Dealer replaced the air bag computer syster. Seemed again to work. A month later, light comes back. Even as we speak, the car is back at the dealer today. The dealer is really trying everything they can to fix the problem. They give me free loaners etc. No real complaints at all with the dealer. I am sure this is driving the Vette tech nuts.
On my 08 it has the airbag light problem for years....So call Vette tech are nuts,because there is no fix for it it...I don't even worry about it anymore....GM is trying to come up with all the problems with the C7's.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
baeteart
3rd Gear

Thats about it for me.
I have what I think is a rattle but have not been able to locate the source. I have checked the axle nuts and they are tight and have put clamps on the muffler brackets. Still have a chatte/rattler at low speeds (worse under 10 mph) and on rough streets. Does this sound like your rear end chatter? Thanks for your help!!!!!

Quick Reply: Issues and Annoying problems with the C6 Vette?