C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Mack1919
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Satisfied "Customer"

I changed my C6 spring to the C5 spring and what a difference! The car is more more enjoyable to drive with easier starts especially on hills.

Had a little trouble getting the center link of the spring hooked onto the clutch pedal arm so I fashioned a small hook out of a 1/16 inch welding rod and used that to pop the spring onto the arm with ease.

Mack1919
Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 AM
nykbob
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bassspring
Dose anyone know what the difference is in the C5 spring and the C6 spring is, maybe the materal size or the spring diameter or the material alloy, I own a spring company, so maybe I can make a better than stock spring.Bassspring
Just reading this old post and thought I should reply here. I changed out my C6 for a C5 spring and there is a night and day difference. However, I did notice that the C5 spring is smaller in diameter as well. This means that the spring does not hold the pedal for the full range of motion that the C6 did. However, the C6 spring is much too harsh. Also the pedal does not always return completely up upon release. Not a major problem but the C6 spring does not have this issue.

A new spring the size of the C6, with a looser coiling action would be the perfect replacement. This would create the full action of the C6 with the control of the C5 spring.

If you can create one of these, I'd be in line to get it.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 AM
forbiddenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
I was having problems with the Clutch sticking to the floor at high RPM
6000. A friend of mine said to remove it. I did and the problem pretty much went away. One thing to keep in mind is that spring is greasy and I had a hard time removing it. The only thing left is the pedal is much harder to push in. I will try the C5 Spring and hope I can get it in. I'm loosing weight now and soon I will be able to try it. " a worthy goal "
My clutch sticks to the floor after hard driving and high rpm. When I bought it there was no spring and the fluid was crazy dirty. I installed the remote bleeder and flushed the system with racing brake/clutch fluid. Installed the C6 spring and pedal still sticks to the floor at high rpm (6500-up) but the spring kinda helps. I agree the action is different with the spring but its sure nice in SoCal stopNgo traffic. Getting a C5 spring from my dealer on Monday.
Any help with this pedal sticking at rpm issue! No air in the system and fluid is spotless. Could it be the pressure plate spring or slave going crazy?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by forbiddenvette
My clutch sticks to the floor after hard driving and high rpm. When I bought it there was no spring and the fluid was crazy dirty. I installed the remote bleeder and flushed the system with racing brake/clutch fluid. Installed the C6 spring and pedal still sticks to the floor at high rpm (6500-up) but the spring kinda helps. I agree the action is different with the spring but its sure nice in SoCal stopNgo traffic. Getting a C5 spring from my dealer on Monday.
Any help with this pedal sticking at rpm issue! No air in the system and fluid is spotless. Could it be the pressure plate spring or slave going crazy?
Take the spring out and try it.

I've removed probably a dozen springs at the drag strip (I carry a screwdriver for this purpose) and it cured the sticking clutch every time.

It's free to try and it works.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 AM
forbiddenvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Take the spring out and try it.

I've removed probably a dozen springs at the drag strip (I carry a screwdriver for this purpose) and it cured the sticking clutch every time.

It's free to try and it works.
What about this badboy?
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...1#.UuiZnNLTncs

kinda pricey for $80 anyone make their own?
Why does this happen? The effort is pretty stiff without it, i need daily traffic cooperation
Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

What about this badboy?

Why does this happen? The effort is pretty stiff without it, i need daily traffic cooperation
Just take the spring out and try it.

You will get used to it without the spring. I daily drove mine without it for 7 years. The spring is for those that wear high heels.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

What about this badboy?

This was my post June of last year:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-position.html

Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
magneticred
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
My C5 clutch assist spring, GM part no. 12555205, arrived from Gene Culley. It was very easy to install on the C6. The picture shows the OEM C6 spring in place on the clutch pedal lever.

A flat bladed screwdriver pops the outer ends out of the two fixed bushings with just a bit of a prying motion. Then you can just lift the spring middle out of the plastic slot on the pedal lever.

The new C5 spring is flexible enough that you can squeeze the two outer ends toward each other. Put one outer end in one of the fixed bushings, then squeeze the spring by hand and pop the other end in the other bushing.

Now to get the middle of the spring in the slot. Push the clutch pedal all the way down with one hand (don't worry, the average 12-year-old girl is strong enough to push the pedal down with one hand.)

With your other hand, wrap your index finger around behind one spring coil and your middle finger around the other spring coil, with your palm facing up, and just pull the spring toward you until the middle of the spring slides into position and drops into the slot. Nuthin' to it .

Then go for a test ride and enjoy the new-found control you have over your clutch. Gene has the springs in stock for $4.99. Shipping is more than the spring, so you may want to bundle this with another purchase, like I did, or shop at your local Chevy dealership.
Thanks for the instructions. Spring on my C5 (2002) broke, and I was able to replace it in under 10 minutes.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:00 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

after reading this post, I went out to my shop and removed the spring from my 2007 Z06. With no spring at all it requires less effort than any other clutch car I own. I'll test drive it tomorrow and see if the feel is better. If it were the only manual trans car I owned I could probably have gotten used to it, but going from my 2000 Firebird Formula to the Z06 was a pain. The Firebird is much easier to shift smoothly.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM
xgto
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have changed to the C5 springs in both of my C6 cars and much better pedal feel. However, the only time I ever have to push completely to the floor is when starting up to engage clutch start switch. Normal shifting or shifting at high RPM's I hardly have to push the pedal down very far due to the high engagement area of the stock corvette clutch system which give me very smooth seamless shifts.. I use the ranger method every month, only has 27,000 miles on the car (2006) but still occasionally when shifting at 6000 rpm the clutch will be slow even to come back up from the middle of pedal range position. Guess the whole thing is just crappy design of the whole freaking system. Never had this problem on my 2004 GTO, or 2007 Mustang GT, or for that matter any clutch car I've owned, and i I have owned manual trans cars for the last 40 years. I have read that the expensive super high temp DOT 4 racing fluid (castrol) or Motul ) can help cure the problem. Or maybe an aftermarket clutch, but clutch jobs in our cars are quite expensive, so I may try the racing brake fluid next.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:19 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been running high temp fluid for years and the peddle still was slow to return to its engaged position. The only thing that helped was the added return spring. While on the track, every now and then I can feel the pedal not return as fast as it should..... even with that big honken spring.

Last edited by JimsCorvettes; 09-21-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by xgto
I have changed to the C5 springs in both of my C6 cars and much better pedal feel. However, the only time I ever have to push completely to the floor is when starting up to engage clutch start switch. Normal shifting or shifting at high RPM's I hardly have to push the pedal down very far due to the high engagement area of the stock corvette clutch system which give me very smooth seamless shifts.. I use the ranger method every month, only has 27,000 miles on the car (2006) but still occasionally when shifting at 6000 rpm the clutch will be slow even to come back up from the middle of pedal range position. Guess the whole thing is just crappy design of the whole freaking system. Never had this problem on my 2004 GTO, or 2007 Mustang GT, or for that matter any clutch car I've owned, and i I have owned manual trans cars for the last 40 years. I have read that the expensive super high temp DOT 4 racing fluid (castrol) or Motul ) can help cure the problem. Or maybe an aftermarket clutch, but clutch jobs in our cars are quite expensive, so I may try the racing brake fluid next.
My car drives much better with no spring, with no negative effects.
I've done the ranger method about 40 times and the fluid now stays
fairly clean. No slow to return clutch pedal, but the car only has 8k miles. Bought a TICK performance clutch master cylinder, but haven't installed it yet. (winter project). It's supposed to fix the clutch pedal return problem. You may want to try that 1st before replacing the entire clutch.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I ran into a master (retired) Chevy mechanic and he said under high revs, the pedal has a tendency to return slowly to its original position. The spring I installed helps it along. But every now and then at speeds north of 140 I can feel the pedal not return as fast as it does with the spring I installed 18 months ago. I Will say this, on hot track days it seems to act up
Old 11-01-2016, 07:27 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I just installed the c5 spring on my 13' Grand sport. What a huge improvement ! Highly recommend it.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:51 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Size comparison between the C6 clutch pedal spring and the C5

Since I bought my 2010 Grand Sport used I don't know if the previous owner(s) already swapped the C6 spring for a C5 spring. Can someone give me the dimensions of the C5 spring so I can determine which spring I have?
Old 12-03-2022, 05:10 PM
Deconblue
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Installed the C5 spring today. I admit I did go for nice drive with No spring at all. Really liked the feel without any spring, but being nervous about not having any at all And the possibility of damage reported by leaving it out I installed the C5 spring. Still Major difference from the C6 spring. I’m good with that 👍
Old 12-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Joe_G
1.5 years later...

I'm up to 414 drag strip runs, 47000 daily driver miles. Safe to say based on my experience that you don't need the spring.

I launch hard...this was about 5800 rpm and full throttle at the launch.

12 years later and 89,000 miles…

same clutch, no spring. I dare say the spring is not required.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:45 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Deconblue
Installed the C5 spring today. I admit I did go for nice drive with No spring at all. Really liked the feel without any spring, but being nervous about not having any at all And the possibility of damage reported by leaving it out I installed the C5 spring. Still Major difference from the C6 spring. I’m good with that 👍
If you like the clutch feel without any spring, go with that. Won’t hurt anything at all. I have a Monster LT1-S twin disc and it specifically says to run this without an assist spring. And it is a stock C7 clutch with a C6 flywheel.

I would also recommend as a very good upgrade, an ECS clutch stop. You can set the stop so that your clutch pedal only travels enough until full disengagement. Less stress on the spring in the clutch and less pedal travel.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:23 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I removed the spring from my c5z and c6z and threw them both in the trash 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.