C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque value for header exhaust manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque value for header exhaust manifold bolts

I finally took the leap and ordered a set of Kooks headers through Marylandspeed.com He is a new forum vendor. Very fair price. Can't wait to slap them on and finally hear my Corsa Sports sound like they should. Is there a torque value associated with the header manifold bolts? Could I trouble one of you to look it up? Any words of wisdom installing Kooks (1 3/4) and xpipe into the Corsa's on my 07 mn6 would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The exhaust manifold torque setting is 11 ft. lbs. first pass....15 ft. lbs. second pass. Since most torque wrenches that measure in foot pounds won't go so low I suggest an inch pound wrench, the inch pound settings are, first pass 132, second pass 180.

In case you don't know, you should start in the middle and work your way to the outside in a staggered fashion. ie: if there are 7 bolts, you would use the following order #4, 5, 3, 6, 2, 7, 1. Hope that makes sense to you?

As for the install....just take your time and you shouldn't break or bend anything.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 AM
lemans 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I torqued mine to 20. The info I found listed 11 first pass and 18 final pass. I opted for the 20 just to put a little more snug on them. 18lb ft is not that much.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/enginetorques.htm

As far as the header install. I just completed mine 2 weeks ago. By far the EASIEST header install I have ever done. Remove engine covers, spark plug wires, unbolt manifold from head, slides out from the bottom with the cat and the downpipe connected. Make sure you get the car up as high as you can to facilitate removal and installation from below.

Install your O2 sensors in the headers and slide them in from below (helps if you have someone topside for this part) I reused the factory manifold gaskets with no problems. Start your header bolts but do not tighten them. Install your O2 sensors in the x-pipe, then install it and then snug everything up and torque the header to head bolts last. All in should take you about 2-3 hours.

Get a helper and take your time. It really is a breeze. Good Luck!

Last edited by lemans 07; 09-14-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To torque value for header exhaust manifold bolts

Quick Reply: torque value for header exhaust manifold bolts