C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 249 Posts

I would think it is worth more, but I am not sure how much.

I went with the K&N as it was an easy install and no risk of water ingestion as my car is a daily driver.

I would say the K&N MIGHT be worth 0.1 in the 1/4, but the Vararam is definitely worth 0.1 - 0.2 and some people have seen 0.3-0.4.

I have driven cars back to back, one with the K&N and one with the Vararam and could tell no difference in acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.
The Vararam should be worth something at higher speeds though.

All I know is my car with supposedly worthless mods such as a K&N aircharger and Corsa Sports trapped 115.85 which is close to or at the top of the cai and/or catback crowd without a tune.

Howard
Old 10-22-2006, 08:48 PM
chempowr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New best time:

12.3 at 117 with the addition of a Vararam CAI to my current setup which was only a catback. Thanks Vararam as I got 0.3 with the your product as advertised and guaranteed!

2005 magnetic ride C6 MN6 flowmaster Catback, Vararam CAI, 160 thermostat, stock eagle F1s
Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 PM
yell03
Safety Car

chempowr -

Great Times and mph.

This should put to rest any complaints about the Flowmaster catback robbing power.

Howard
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 AM
yell03
Safety Car

chempowr -

What are the breakdowns of your run.

60'
1/8
1/8 mph
1/4
1/4mph

What gear did you cross the traps in?

How did you launch?

What were your tire pressures?

Powershifting or Lift Throttle?

Please be specific as this will help me next time at the track.

Please add decimal points to the hundredths as this matters at the dragstrip.

For example:

My slip was a 2.02 60'
1/4 was a 12.55@115.85
I forget my 1/8th, it was a 8.2x at 88.something.

I am too lazy to get the slip right now

Thanks,

Howard
Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
chempowr
Racer

Howard,

The track closest to my location where I run at only gives out ETs so I don't know any of the other values. It makes it tough to see where I need to improve and I plan on getting a new G tec to get some of my other values. The upside is the track is not very busy and I get as many runs as I want. When I lived in miami I used to make the long haul (In my 03 Cobra) to moroso (91miles) and usually get to run only 2-4 times because it was so busy. I actually use the car more for autoX/road race and the road race track has a nice 1/4 mile but it is about 100 miles away so I have only gone their for the road race track.

to answer your other questions:

I have played around with tire pressure alittle and my best run of 12.3 was with the fronts at 30 and rears at 27. I tried to go lower in the rear but my times did not improve. I actually tried this after my best time at 27 psi. I have stock non-Z51 run flats so I'm not sure if the stiff side wall has affected this some how. I've also tried hyperinflating the fronts to 40 but not this last time out with the vararam on. I feel non-run flats will respond much better to lower pressures.

I believe launching the car is one of the most important aspects. The way I started launching my C6 on street tires @ 1500 and letting myself get a good feel for the car before I started launching higher. I slowly started increasing my launch my RPMs. I don't actually stare at the tach now but ball park it from over 2500 to about 2800 or so. Most of my runs have been in the 12.4 -12.5 range with one exception run at 12.3 where I directly attribute to an awesome launch which I couln't reproduce the other night. My main goal was to see if the Vararam gave me any gain which it did. I will be on my road race tires from now on so I plan to drop another 0.3s or so.

I don't power shift my car but I do shift about as quick as you can with barely lifting off (in my own mind anyway). I cross the traps at the top of third, just before the limiter. I have a magnetic ride coupe which comes with longer 1,2, and 3 gear as compared to my 2 other buddies with Z51s. I though their coupes would be much faster than mine but I was actually a 0.1s faster when we were all stock but driver skill may have an affect on that but I believe they have to shift into 4th.

When I get to a better track I will give you the breakdown of my times. A recommendation I give people (to my other buddies who aren't happy with their 60 foots) is to lauch at low rpms and gradually increase. The learning curve is much smoother than roasting the tires with a high launch rpm and then working your way down.

Originally Posted by yell03
chempowr -

What are the breakdowns of your run.

60'
1/8
1/8 mph
1/4
1/4mph

What gear did you cross the traps in?

How did you launch?

What were your tire pressures?

Powershifting or Lift Throttle?

Please be specific as this will help me next time at the track.

Please add decimal points to the hundredths as this matters at the dragstrip.

For example:

My slip was a 2.02 60'
1/4 was a 12.55@115.85
I forget my 1/8th, it was a 8.2x at 88.something.

I am too lazy to get the slip right now

Thanks,

Howard
Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 PM
yell03
Safety Car

My C6 crossed the traps in 3rd also at 115.85 and pegged the limiter immediately after.
I didn't think 117 was possible, but I guess it is.

R compound tires will help greatly, my Viper GTS ran 12.3@118.5 on stock rubber and a simple swap to Kumho Ecsta V700s dropped that to a 11.67@120.56.

On the launch I assume you are slipping the clutch as opposed to dumping it.

Thanks,

Howard
Old 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
My C6 crossed the traps in 3rd also at 115.85 and pegged the limiter immediately after.
I didn't think 117 was possible, but I guess it is.

R compound tires will help greatly, my Viper GTS ran 12.3@118.5 on stock rubber and a simple swap to Kumho Ecsta V700s dropped that to a 11.67@120.56.

On the launch I assume you are slipping the clutch as opposed to dumping it.

Thanks,

Howard
Howard,

Don't forget that he has the VaraRam. I just installed the same on mine, and oh boy what a difference in power. The strange thing about the VaraRam is that the computer had to learn the additional mod. After that, the power I felt was amazing. Feels like a mini supercharger. My friend installed the LPE CAI and there was nothing but smiles on his face. Having said that, 117 mph trap for a MN6 seems possible.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Fore58 -

I did not think 117 was possible in 3rd gear, I thought 116 was the limit.

I guess the Vararam is worth what they say.

Howard
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chempowr
Howard,

The track closest to my location where I run at only gives out ETs so I don't know any of the other values. It makes it tough to see where I need to improve and I plan on getting a new G tec to get some of my other values. The upside is the track is not very busy and I get as many runs as I want. When I lived in miami I used to make the long haul (In my 03 Cobra) to moroso (91miles) and usually get to run only 2-4 times because it was so busy. I actually use the car more for autoX/road race and the road race track has a nice 1/4 mile but it is about 100 miles away so I have only gone their for the road race track.

to answer your other questions:

I have played around with tire pressure alittle and my best run of 12.3 was with the fronts at 30 and rears at 27. I tried to go lower in the rear but my times did not improve. I actually tried this after my best time at 27 psi. I have stock non-Z51 run flats so I'm not sure if the stiff side wall has affected this some how. I've also tried hyperinflating the fronts to 40 but not this last time out with the vararam on. I feel non-run flats will respond much better to lower pressures.

I believe launching the car is one of the most important aspects. The way I started launching my C6 on street tires @ 1500 and letting myself get a good feel for the car before I started launching higher. I slowly started increasing my launch my RPMs. I don't actually stare at the tach now but ball park it from over 2500 to about 2800 or so. Most of my runs have been in the 12.4 -12.5 range with one exception run at 12.3 where I directly attribute to an awesome launch which I couln't reproduce the other night. My main goal was to see if the Vararam gave me any gain which it did. I will be on my road race tires from now on so I plan to drop another 0.3s or so.

I don't power shift my car but I do shift about as quick as you can with barely lifting off (in my own mind anyway). I cross the traps at the top of third, just before the limiter. I have a magnetic ride coupe which comes with longer 1,2, and 3 gear as compared to my 2 other buddies with Z51s. I though their coupes would be much faster than mine but I was actually a 0.1s faster when we were all stock but driver skill may have an affect on that but I believe they have to shift into 4th.

When I get to a better track I will give you the breakdown of my times. A recommendation I give people (to my other buddies who aren't happy with their 60 foots) is to lauch at low rpms and gradually increase. The learning curve is much smoother than roasting the tires with a high launch rpm and then working your way down.

I am curious to know what kind of timing equipment they are using at your track whereby they don't list the splits, 60ft times, and the ETs and trap speeds to the .001 place. I have never seen such a time slip. Would you be kind enough to scan it?

What track was it? Any of the mainstream ones around the Texas area?

You mention an awesome launch, yet without the benefit of knowing the actual 60ft time. I have drag raced quite a bit too, and to be honest, I cannot tell a "good" 1.9x 60ft time from a "great" 1.75 60 ft time just from "feel."

How do you know that you didn't run that great/phenomenal 12.3 @117mph with a 2.1xx 60ft time since your 60 was not measured????? Or even a 2.3x 60ft. Or a 2.0xx 60?

Crossing the traps at 117.xxmph in third gear without hitting the rev limiter, your shifts must have been dead nuts on, and then some. And you weren't powershifting either. That would have been good for another tenth or two. But still 117.XX mph, through the traps, in third without powershifting, is phenomenal.

You mention that "Most of my runs have been in the 12.4 -12.5 range with one exception run at 12.3 where I directly attribute to an awesome launch which I couln't reproduce the other night." I thought your prior best was 12.6. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...99&postcount=9

You say: "I cross the traps at the top of third, just before the limiter. I have a magnetic ride coupe which comes with longer 1,2, and 3 gear as compared to my 2 other buddies with Z51s. I though their coupes would be much faster than mine but I was actually a 0.1s faster when we were all stock but driver skill may have an affect on that but I believe they have to shift into 4th."

Then you say: "When I get to a better track I will give you the breakdown of my times. A recommendation I give people (to my other buddies who aren't happy with their 60 foots) is to lauch at low rpms and gradually increase."

Well thats just it.....how do you know what your own 60ft times were???? And "better track"??? What was wrong with this one aside from the limitations of the timing equipment??

A recommendation I give people (to my other buddies who aren't happy with their 60 foots) is to lauch at low rpms and gradually increase. The learning curve is much smoother than roasting the tires with a high launch rpm and then working your way down.
Sage advice for those interested in drag racing their cars.

Just musing here, but I do find it odd though that one so knowledgable about launch techniques with manual transmissions, techniques which can only be learned, honed and dialed in, through experience, and hanging out at the drag strip, would be unfamiliar with other tricks like icing an intake manifold between runs http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1518340 post #14.

Nor how a former '03 SVT Cobra owner would be unfamliar with a "maggie" (Eaton/Magnuson supercharger)http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1302349 post #8 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1306789&page=2 post #38

Yet at the same time is so knowledgable about turbochargers http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1304303&page=2 post #32

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-23-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 PM
07WhiteDevilZ
Burning Brakes

2007 z06

bolt on car

60ft 1.565
330 4.510
1/8 6.937
mph 102.54
1000 9.016
1/4 10.764
mph 129.77

mods are

kooks 1 7/8 headers with offroad x pipe
halltech f1 filter with cold air
ported intake and t-body
bfg 315 35/17 drag radial
160 stat
hp tuners

george
Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 PM
yell03
Safety Car

George -

Great Run!

Sorry to hear about your car, but glad you are OK.
Crazy drivers out on our roads.

Howard
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 AM
tekhombre
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

TommyD, can you add this one to the list?

Thanks, Julio

We took the car to Atco today on a track rental, it ran great except for the stock trans not being up to the task, you can hear it hit the limiter hard on the 1-2 shift. I think a built trans and 3.42s and no cats would get it in the 9.7 range with good weather.

Here is the video --> http://www.cartek.net/videos/2005A4C6SC_1011.wmv

And some specs.

Stock engine with H/C
Cartek mild LS2 SC hyd. cam
P1SC supercharger (8 PSI)
Cartek custom fuel system
Larger radiator
Custom air to air inter cooler
Kooks Headers
Stock 3.15 gears
Cartek custom 2.5 bar tuning
High flow cats
93 octane pump gas

Julio
Old 10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
RDunn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51

Nor how a former '03 SVT Cobra owner would be unfamliar with a "maggie" (Eaton/Magnuson supercharger)[url
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1302349[/url] post #8 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1306789&page=2 post #38

Yet at the same time is so knowledgable about turbochargers http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1304303&page=2 post #32

WOW...went alittle off the deep end didnt we this would of prolly been better in the form of a pm.(not the quoted part just the whole messgage)

being a former 04 cobie owner myself...no one calls the superchargers on the cobies maggies i hadnt heard the term anywhere myself but corvette forums everyone in the svt world calls them HEATONS...cause of teh excess heat they produce.

and icing the intake on a vette doesnt really work since its made of plastic it doesnt heat soak nor would it hold the cold very long.not saying its not benificial but nother like the old muscle car days
Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
RDunn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and julio VERY nice #'s that mph has 9's written all over it
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tekhombre
TommyD, can you add this one to the list?
Thanks, Julio
We took the car to Atco today on a track rental, it ran great except for the stock trans not being up to the task, you can hear it hit the limiter hard on the 1-2 shift. I think a built trans and 3.42s and no cats would get it in the 9.7 range with good weather.
High flow cats
93 octane pump gas
That car still had cats too?! Damn
I saw the car run, it was crazy fast bouncing off the limiter on it's was to 10.1s at over 132 (it hit 133 on a previous pass too).
Old 10-24-2006, 11:46 AM
chempowr
Racer

Originally Posted by RDunn
WOW...went alittle off the deep end didnt we this would of prolly been better in the form of a pm.(not the quoted part just the whole messgage)

being a former 04 cobie owner myself...no one calls the superchargers on the cobies maggies i hadnt heard the term anywhere myself but corvette forums everyone in the svt world calls them HEATONS...cause of teh excess heat they produce.

and icing the intake on a vette doesnt really work since its made of plastic it doesnt heat soak nor would it hold the cold very long.not saying its not benificial but nother like the old muscle car days

Yeah, I don't know where this guy is coming from? I'm learning there are a few bully's on the forum full of cynisicm. I was going to give him a response but he was so overwhelmingly negative I figure it would be fruitless.

This is the second time I get stomped on for trying to help out other C6 people with my positive experiences with the mods I have tried.

I'm glad you stuck up for me
Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yeah, I don't know where this guy is coming from? I'm learning there are a few bully's on the forum full of cynisicm. I was going to give him a response but he was so overwhelmingly negative I figure it would be fruitless.

This is the second time I get stomped on for trying to help out other C6 people with my positive experiences with the mods I have tried.

I'm glad you stuck up for me
Don't get discouraged, I've had the same experience moving from the C5 section to the C6 section. Overall there are still PLENTY of great folks here and great info. I can't believe I was able to get the info to solve my 2nd gear rev limiter issue in an hour or so. Great power in the forum.

Now back on track or our thread will get locked!! Nobody wants that.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge

Old 10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
yell03
Safety Car

chempowr -

DSOM Z51 is a really cool guy.

We PM each other all the time with our agreements and disagreements.

I was skeptical of your times at first, that is why I asked you a few questions. Sorry about that.:o
What threw me off was the 10ths round off as opposed to 100ths, but it really is not a big deal.
I only care about what I run, but the more info I can get about other peoples runs and how they do it, the more it helps me know what my car is capable of and better ways of driving.

Again, DSOM is not being a jerk, he is just making sure the results board doesn't get skewed the wrong way.
As you can imagine, people sometimes lie.

By the way, my car ran a 10.25@140.77 today with just 370rwhp Just kidding, Just Kidding

Let's all put this one behind us and move forward and faster.

Howard
Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody had any problem believing my 13.3. Then I got up to 12.88, and still nobody questioned it. Hmmm, I guess I've got to stop making up such mediocre numbers.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:20 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RDunn

Yeah, OK. Where was it run? The point being raised was not whether icing the intake on a C6 works or not.

The curious thing was that a person who had spent the time to develop such skill at launching a manual transmissioned car on a drag strip, was unfamiliar with the very common practice of icing the intake manifold of any car between runs.

It would seem that if one has been to the track enough times to develop launch skills like that, then they have seen people icing their intake manifolds or superchargers. And may even have done it on occasion themselves.

These nice round numbers are also curious as well. ETs are generally rounded to 3 decimal places, trap speeds two.

Heres one of mine from my C5:

Take a look at tekhombre's time slip. ET to 3 decimal places, trap speed to two.

If you drag race then you know it is extremely rare to run 12.500 at 110.00 mph or some other completely rounded off number ending in straight zeros.

I'm just asking what the time slip says, or better yet, show us the actual slip. Barring that,at least tell us where it occured. Right now, we got nothing other than 12.300 @117.00 mph and an increase of 3 tenths following the install of the Vararam.

The problem with this list is that there are way too many times posted in it, some of them quite "impressive" times, with no documentation whatsoever to support them. This one is just the latest one.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-24-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge