C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
So basically you are following ArKay's suggestion back in 2009 - by adding the bendy exhaust you are lengthening the pipes to get the sound you want.
Ah... No. He attributed sound to the distance between the muff and the tip. It's not that; That was covered earlier in the thread (several times) and we know that there are many cars that muffs very close to the tips, but sound fantastic; Late Mustangs are one example.

My Kart sounds pretty fantastic too, and it's exhaust is shorter (over all) than the stock C4's system was. I'm fairly convinced that it has more to do with the bends having some kind of effect on the sound waves. It add tone, character...it makes it sound "3D".
Old 10-16-2017, 02:12 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

you should talk to this guy...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/j...tte-sound.html
Old 10-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Geezus....I can't believe that the sound on the 'Vette has been tuned/engineered -that it was deliberate. They need to fire that guy and hire the guy from Ford. Wow.

Thanks for the link. Short, but interesting read.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:15 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I had some success. I bought a totaled '89 to turn into a 'Vette Kart. Built my own exhaust for it. I took the car for a spin after I got back from Germany...when I pulled back in the garage, my wife was there -she wanted a ride. I took her around the neighborhood and she loved it...but when we got back, she complained (legitimately) about smelling like exhaust. The make-shift exhaust I had on there (stock Y pipe w/a big Magnaflow muff terminating at the "rear wall") just caught all kind of draft and brought exhaust into the cockpit. So that was motivating me to address the exhaust. Plus, it sounded like poo.

In addition, I just really wanted to try an experiment with the exhaust. Years ago when I had my C6, as you know from post #1, I hated the exhaust "character and quality". Also, from the factory it was way too quiet. Volume is easily fixable -get any aftermarket exhaust. But I wanted to fix more than volume, I wanted the car to sound GOOD, too. I tried Corsa. It was louder than stock, but lame. I tried GHL. It was even louder...but didn't change the quality really, at all. I tried dumps. Even louder...just annoying. Terrible quality sound. I tried fabricating a chamber. No diff. I tried "true Duals" (with no H pipe or X pipe at all)...no real diff. I tried a big open chamber, mid exhaust, I tried no muffs/turn downs....Finally, I gave up. I started a this thread about it that went no where -there were no solutions gleaned from this thread.
The thing that really bugged me about the whole topic was this: the sound of an '06 C6, vs the sound of an '06 GTO; same engine...different sound. Why? Later, we bought a CTS-V...LS6 engine, but much better quality and character of the sound, compared to the LS2 'Vette. What's the diff?
Finally, I bought my C4 and although it has a better sound quality than the C6 did, it's no 5.0 and it never will be. Why?

I developed a theory that the difference between C4^ Y body exhaust sound vs 5.0's, F-bods, GTO's, CTS-V's etc, is the number of bends in the exhaust system. All those other cars have much "bendier" exhaust than the Y body car does; it's exhaust has a few bends, but most of it is very straight piping. MOre evidence of this is the Gen I Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Those things sound wicked and have a look at that "bendy" exhaust! HERE and HERE TOO.

SO....I want the Kart to sound awesome. The exhaust should be part of the experience and yeah, it should be LOUD...but it should also be AWESOME sounding! I wanted to build a system with a lot of bends, no crossover of any kind combined with side exit to provide the stereophonic "V8 sound".

On to the construction...
I bought a take off exhaust from a Chrysler 300 V6 for $35. It came with dual, 2.125" SS pipes (slightly larger than the original 'Vette Y piping), with an X pipe and two straight through, glass pack style mufflers. I used that plus the original Y pipe parts I took off the Kart to build the system.

So here is what I started with....

...and I cobbed it into this:

Old 11-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

So? How did my theory play out with "more bends"?

Oh...

Fock...

YEAH!!!

I'll have to get a stereo audio vid of the thing...but it is wicked.

This was by benchmark; An LS2 GTO (or virtually any 5.0 Mustang)

I'll get a vid ASAP and post it up for comparison...but "I can tell you this...", it sounds deliciously wicked! "Believe me".
Old 11-18-2020, 09:18 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I finally had a chance to take it out and try my new mic with my GoPro....and it works....OK. It seems to be overwhelmed and distort really easily. While it's a "stereo" mic and does make stereo sound, it doesn't really pic up the stereo sound of the duel side exhausts simply b/c the two mics are too close to each other.

Anyway, here is what a CURVY exhaust sounds like on a C4. Sorry for some of the boring/slow moments....

The following users liked this post:
HTown C8 Vert (11-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...