C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
...And since you and Floyd have decided that no solution will fix the problem and you are too cheap to do anything about it anyway, why start the thread at all? For that matter, why own a car whose sound you hate so much for which flaw there is no cure.
Where did I say any of the above??? I DO know that $1200+ headers won't fix the problem, because I've heard plenty of C5's and C6's w/headers. Same character and quality of sound...just louder. As for if it's "fixable" or not, for the reading impaired, here is what I DID say in post number 81:
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Maybe. I'm not done yet. I just bought two factory H-pipes off the classified boards. I'm going to hack them up and re-fabricate them, trying two different configurations. I have a couple ideas on how to get good quality and character sound from this car. I'll post back on this thread about my results, but it will be a while.

-Tom

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-11-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan#1 is to mimic that. Chop out the "H" and in it's place install two Dynomax Bullet muffs, w/no x-over at any point.
Plan #2 is the opposite: Remove almost ALL the piping between the front and rear flanges of the stock H-pipe, and in place, install a large chamber: 5" wide, 3' long, and 3" tall, w/two ins and two outs. My idea here is to give the sound pulses "time" and space to blend and mellow. Like the idea behind the "x" pipe, but more so.
Plan #3 is to impliment a "1/4 wave pipe" to reduce drone at "x" RPM. This is an after thought and won't be tried until after I see the results from #1 and #2.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f38/pics-05-...-system-11753/

I love experiments. I've learned to watch others experiment though.

Can't wait to see the results!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Where did I say any of the above??? I DO know that $1200+ headers won't fix the problem, because I've heard plenty of C5's and C6's w/headers. Same character and quality of sound...just louder. As for if it's "fixable" or not, for the reading impaired, here is what I DID say in post number 81:
Maybe. I'm not done yet. I just bought two factory H-pipes off the classified boards. I'm going to hack them up and re-fabricate them, trying two different configurations. I have a couple ideas on how to get good quality and character sound from this car. I'll post back on this thread about my results, but it will be a while.-Tom
So you spent $50K on the car but you're gonna fab up some monstrosity in your garage with sloppy welds and bolt it on, so you don't have to spend the $1,200 on the exhaust, only to fiund out it looks like crap and sounds worse than the headers from companies that have spent over a $million in research to develop.

Who's the redneck now?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

So you spent $50K on the car but you're gonna fab up some monstrosity in your garage with sloppy welds and bolt it on, so you don't have to spend the $1,200 on the exhaust, only to fiund out it looks like crap and sounds worse than the headers from companies that have spent over a $million in research to develop.

Who's the redneck now?
Well, I haven't met you, but if there is a "redneck" in this conversation, I know that I'm not that person. As for your ignorant post:

*Show me a company that spent "over a $million in research" to develope a MUFFLER.
*Is my design going to be a "monstrosity"? (No.)
*Do you know anything about my fabrication skills? (No.)
*Does spending $1200 on exhaust HELP the current situation? (No.) -and I know, because I've done it twice
*Would it matter if it DID "look like crap", being out of sight under the car...if it DOES work?? (No.)
*Though it won't look like crap, and my welds, of course won't be sloppy.

Basically, you don't know WTF you're talking about, and if you don't like what I'm doing, you don't need to do it, buy it...OR read this thread. If you're car sounds good to you, then this whole thread doesn't apply to you, so get out. I'm not sure what your problem is, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that your problem is that YOU think the only way to change anything on a Corvette is to do it by spending the most money you can, to accomlish the goal. If doing things by hand = "Crap" and "monstrosity" to you....well that tells me a lot about your fabrication skills.

You need not bag on me because I have the skills and motivation to to pursue this.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-12-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Just getting your dander up Tom (and it worked). Remember I said I was proud to be a redneck. That's because rednecks are smart enough to try soething their way if they think they can do it better. So it was a compliment.

I do take offense to your assumption that I equate $$$ with price. I am totally the reverse and in fact a cheap bastard. I foungth headers for 3 years.

As for my skills...what fab skills? I am a good carpenter, however.

Good luck with your project.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom, good to see you up here still fighting the good exhaust battle LOL.

I doubt it will help much but I took some video of my C6 with the stock mufflers and H pipe removed. That's the 1st vid. For sound comparison, I also took video of the stock C6 setup before removing the mufflers (2nd vid)

I now have the NPP's and I REALLY like them. I'm not completely satisfied with the sound, but at least my C6 doesn't sound like a minivan in heat anymore. I have some popping a gurgling going on but it doesn't bother me. I also have PipeDreams NPP in a Box installed so with the press of a button, I sound like a minivan again haha. Nice for completely eliminating freeway drone 100% and for coming home at 2:00am (and not announcing it to the entire neighborhood).

I will take more footage with the NPP's and post that soon too. Not to convince anyone my setup is great but just to add to this discussion about what is good and what is bad. If you want, you could come hear them in person. I'd like to hear whatever you have fabricated as well, so get your butt in gear and get that done ahead of time. We're having a meet and greet/Park City cruise on Saturday the 29th and are expecting between 25 and 50 vettes. Not bad for Utah in March huh? The post to follow for that is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1965171

Stock C6 mufflers and H pipe removed

Stock C6
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

As for my skills...what fab skills? I am a good carpenter, however.

Good luck with your project.
Well in that case I wish you lived closer so that I could trade some fab work for some wood work. I CAN do carpentry, but I STRUGGLE with it. Frustration rules my wood working projects.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Well I could use your welding talents, given I nearly burned myself and the house down last time I borrowed a friend's buzzbox to "self-learn" - NOT.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I am a white collar professional and I find tangible outcomes from my woodwork to be immensely satisfying, though occasionally frustrating. I have saved a lot of money doing this, and I completed my kitchen remodel far ahead of my colleague who paid $40K and got a mediocre outcome.

Regarding exhaust, I have often thought resonators under the car, along with a magnaflow-type straight-through muffler catback, would produce a nice deep sound. Back in my RX-7 days, it took me 4 tries and lots of $$$ at the local muffler shop before I had an exhaust I was happy with. I got lucky in liking the Kooks setup I have, but the rest of the car needs work to be satisfying - especially seats, suspension, balance, etc. It is getting there slowly.

Keep us posted on how your project turns out.

Last edited by TTRotary; 03-12-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I don't know what you do for a living, but I am a white collar professional and I find tangible outcomes from my woodwork to be immensely satisfying, though occasionally frustrating. I have saved a lot of money doing this, and I completed my kitchen remodel far ahead of my colleague who paid $40K and got a mediocre outcome.
That was cool to read and I can relate. I don't consider myself "white collar"; my job is both hands on and managerial -I guess because I make it that way. I'm the Director of Vehicle Maintenance, Trails, and Grooming at the largest ski resort in Utah. I come from the vehicle shop as my background, (which is why I can do some cool things w/metal), and only took over trails and grooming 3 years ago. Although I think I do a fair job of running both departments, I get no greater personal satifaction than when I do either one of the two things under me; wrenching or grooming. Both have very tangable out comes, and when done right, the outcome is rewarding and the journey, efficient. This morning I helped one of my techs on one of our winch cats, then this afternoon, I had to run a snow cat for the first 3 hours of the shift to cover for one of my operators who was late. The runs I groomed came out buff, and it was gratifying work; I did it and no one else.

So I totally feel what you're saying. I'm envious that you can and did do your kitchen. My kitchen needs some of that...and I'll do it. But I will not be fun to be around as I struggle through it w/my Snap-On tools.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-12-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

It's good to see you guys make nice.
...Regarding exhaust, I have often thought resonators under the car, along with a magnaflow-type straight-through muffler catback, would produce a nice deep sound. ...
I've thought the same thing, the old Datsun Z's sounded best with a glasspack in the middle and a turbo muffler at the end.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM
skeller
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by blu00rdstr

I love experiments. I've learned to watch others experiment though.

Can't wait to see the results!
Me too! Let's see what happens!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had a 1998 Z28 Camaro with a Borla exhaust. I couldn't go anywhere without turning heads, and I couldn't stop anywhere without being asked what I had done to the car. It just sounded mean.

My '04 & '97 Vettes have had stock, stock ti, Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow. I have NEVER been asked about what I did to make my Vette sound good. The Vette just doesn't have it when it comes to sound.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
XvettemanX
Instructor

Bassani cat back and headers aren't too shabby. just my .02
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM
drfeelgood
Instructor

Default LGs and Bullets

My 2005 C6 has LG headers, hiflow cats, Xpipe and quad round Bullets.
It sounds pretty darned good, I must say.
Flooring it in the midrange brings on a NASCAR-like, old-school "4 barrel sucking your hood in" sort of sound.
I've had numerous people, including police!, follow me and tell me how good the car sounds.
OK, its loud and there is occasional drone, but I don't care. This is the car I have fun in.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Unfortunately, the firing order of the LSx engines makes them sound like an old truck with loud mufflers. Thus GM mutes them with mufflers.

Tom
Tom is 100% right. The firing order is making a bigger difference for our exhaust than the exhasut piping or headers. As much as I hate to admit it the blue oval guys got it right on the new mustangs. That is a mean sound coming from a stock not so powerful car.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Kooks + Bullets = Sound of Power
Old 03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by DrivnXcitment
Tom is 100% right. The firing order is making a bigger difference for our exhaust than the exhaust piping or headers. As much as I hate to admit it the blue oval guys got it right on the new mustangs. That is a mean sound coming from a stock not so powerful car.
You must not have read this thread very well. Re-read post number 28, 43, and 70 where I said:
That reasoning may fly...except that the LSx engines in trucks, FWD Grand Prix GXP and Mote Carlo SS, and ESPECIALLY the LS2 GTO...all sound great.

The LS2 in the GTO even has the same exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. But sounds way, WAY better.
As has already been posted in this same thread, post #28...

All the above mentioned vehicles also have the same firing order. I left out F-bods that came w/LS1's. They sound pretty decent too. Same firing order.
Firing order claim debunked.

I think we can all agree that the GTO w/the LS2 sounds great. Same firing order.
I think most who will admit it, will agree that the LS1 F-bod sounds great. Same firing order.
But I don't think there is ANYONE, who will argue that a MUSTANG is one of the best sounding V-8's made. Same firing order.

If you "re-number" the cylinders in EITHER the 5.0 Ford, or the current 4.6L, into the same configuration as all SBC's (including the LS2) -odds on the right, evens on the left as viewed from the front- both Ford engines feature the SAME firing order as the Gen III and IV SBC; the LS2. Yet the Ford sounds LUSCIOUS.
ONCE AGAIN, IT'S NOT THE FIRING ORDER! Listen closely. This is a LS2 engine in a GTO. Same engine, same cam, same heads, same intake...SAME FIRING ORDER. Sounds NOTHING like a C6. Sounds a LOT like a Mustang...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jWp...eature=related

Enjoy.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-29-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Well, prototype number one was a failure, IMO. This was the large common chamber that starts about 8" aft of the front H-pipe flange and runs to where the H-pipe splits off in different directions to accommodate the trans housing. I simply cut out the middle (including the "H") and capped the front, rear, and then top and bottom so I ended up w/a chamber about 3' long, 2.5" tall (dia of the pipe), and about 6" wide (original width of the pipes). Anyway, there IS a notable difference in the sound, but I don't think it's any better character or quality. See for yourself:

This one is my box stock C6 w/GHL mufflers ONLY.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ3ysO38qoM

And here is the same car, an hour later, w/prototype number 1 H-pipe, and the same GHL muffs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-eAPrWrbM

In fact, the modified H-pipe w/the GHL's reminds me of he stock set up with Corsa's that I had before. Yuck.
Just to remind everyone, below are the links to two beautiful sounding '05 LS2 GTO's, as a bench mark.

This is automotive music here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jWp...eature=related

And here's one w/no muffs at all. Nice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXf8m...eature=related
Back to the fabrication bay.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-10-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

LOL I watched the vid. So much work, so little payoff!

You'll get there Tom. Keep it up!

Shayne
Old 06-10-2008, 02:06 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Thanks Tom! Makes me wonder what replacing the H-pipe with a single fat pipe would sound like.

Quick Reply: Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...