C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Callaway Honker air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Question about Callaway Honker air intake

I recently bought an '05 vert with Callaway Honker air intake. Can anyone tell me if there is a danger of hydrolocking the engine if I get caught in heavy rains and have to drive through 2 or 3 inches of water on the streets. I live near the Gulf Coast and we get heavy rain frequently. Normally I don't take my car out if their is a chance of rain but sometimes you just get caught.
I also have the stock intake that was given to me by the former owner.

Is the Honker safe to use in a high rain area like I live in.

I know on the C5 forum many drivers have hydrolocked their engines using certain after market air intakes in rainy conditions.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
1cheesecake
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully Callaway will chime in and give you a definitive answer...

I have one, and given the position of the air filter, I believe that you would have to go through water that is deep enough to cover the front nose of the car to place the intake in danger of ingesting any water....

If you are driving in water that deep you are just asking for trouble even if you have the stock intake...

again just my .02
Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your always taking a chance driving through deep water. I have the VaraRam and take extra precautions on avoiding deep water. We have a monsoon season around here and the streets flood pretty good. I've had my intake on since the car was new and no problems..........
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
GMRULZ
Pro

Originally Posted by 1cheesecake
Hopefully Callaway will chime in and give you a definitive answer...

I have one, and given the position of the air filter, I believe that you would have to go through water that is deep enough to cover the front nose of the car to place the intake in danger of ingesting any water....

If you are driving in water that deep you are just asking for trouble even if you have the stock intake...

again just my .02

There is no 'scoop" on the Honker. Unless you immerse the front end of the car in water or create a wake that goes over the front, there is little chance you will hydrolock the engine. Just remember if going through water you didn`t think was deep but is deep, do not floor the gas, you create a vacuum effect and draw the water in. Use just enough throttle to get out of the water.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since 2003, when the Honker was introduced, Callaway has never received a report of a hydrolocked C5 or C6 engine. That includes no warranty claims or reports of water ingestion of any kind.

Before the C5 Honker's introduction, Callaway engineers simulated all sorts of climate conditions and accumulated thousands of miles in all sorts of weather to make sure we knew what to expect. We had to do it all over again with the C6 body to make sure there wasn't anything to cause a different result.

Obviously, you shouldn't submerge the front of the car, but driving through a few inches of water shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 AM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the responses. I don't intend to ever drive my car in water deeper than 1 or 2 inches but sometimes in monsoon areas you just get caught in it.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 PM
stlthxlr8r
Racer

05 MN6 with Honker.
Few years ago got caught in the Mother of summer thunderstorms:
Came on quick and heavy! Roads flooded up fast!
Just drove it sensibly, ducked under an overpass waited for it to blow by. (Went through some big puddles on the highway till I got there though.)
No issues of hydro locking with Honker!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

That's good to hear!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

I have diven through some serious puddles and heavy rain without a problem. Callaway engineers their stuff well so if their pencil neck , pocket protector wearing (joke)engineers say its good to go-- it is.
That is why I went with Callaway to begin with.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Callaway Honker air intake

Quick Reply: Question about Callaway Honker air intake