C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&B Bullets + X pipe = little drone

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
timafey
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default B&B Bullets + X pipe = little drone

Hey guys, just put on bullets on my car. The thing sounds awesome very aggressive, but the 1 hour since i had them installed i can say that the drone at 2k RPM is a little much. I am running it with a stock H pipe right now and was wondering if changing it out for an X pipe would reduce some of the drone @ around 2k rpm. I really don’t mind the popping that i get with an H pipe, i kind of like that actually, but it seems that once u go past 2k rpm the exhaust sounds so much smoother(guessing gasses are coming out at a higher velocity and doesn’t create turbulence in the H pipe like it does at lower RPM?), so my logic is telling me that if you smooth out the airflow at lower rpm it wouldn’t create as much resonance since the exhaust is flowing more freely... Has anyone done this? How much of a diff have you noticed? in car and outside?

Oh and please don’t tell me to get Corsa instead….
Old 03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You need Rt. 66's like I have lol. Funny thing is, I am considering swapping to Bullets....hmmmm

P.S. - I live in Alpharetta
Old 03-08-2008, 10:37 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Your only 23 years old and the Bullets are too loud??
I'm 49 and LOVE the sound of My Bullets!
I have headers as well,,and turn the radio down sometimes just to hear the sound!!
Keep 'em
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll find the drone is down to the Bullets' straight pipes! I doubt that adding an X-pipe will make any difference. The straight pipes mean the resonant frequency of the exhaust is much higher, hence drone. The only way, AFAIK, to improve the situation would be to fit a PRT center section, which adds a muffler where the H-pipe currently is, or swap to a slightly quieter exhaust (Stingers would probably be the next step down from Bullets, from what I've read on here). I've been debating between Bullets + PRT or Stingers myself for my C6 d/d. Apparently, there's still quite a lot of drone even with the PRT, but it's not as bad as without, obviously.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
timafey
Racer

Thanks for the input guys, yeah it makes sence what i_york said, i might look into a PRT, does it change the tone of the exhaust at WOT? Dont want anyone to get me wrong these things sound awesome, got nothing but compliments from my friends as well, I drove the car a little more and starting to like it better, also enjoying the WTF?!? Looks from cars i pull up next to

So I guess my next question is would the partition help the drone out? Any sound clips or input from people that have it?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 AM
wormie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at wide open it sounds awsome wit hthe prts.i just installed mine thursday and have been like a kid all weekend.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I HAD BULLETS WITH THE prt CENTER AND THE DRONE WAS NOT BAD AT ALL. I WILL MISS THEM BUT I AM DOING HEADERS AND THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH SO I WENT BACK TO THE 66"s

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the difference between the PRT Bullets and the regular bullets?? What are the differences in sound, what does that extra mid part do? Sorry for the newbie question. I'm looking for a new exhaust, heard a clip with bullets, decided to go with those. Now I hear about this PRT part, what do I gain/lose with that? Thanks!!

DH
Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
wormie
Advanced

the prt is a muffler that replaces the h-pipe.get it and your drone will almost disappear
Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by wormie
the prt is a muffler that replaces the h-pipe.get it and your drone will almost disappear
Will it effect the regular sound of the bullets in any way?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by timafey
Hey guys, just put on bullets on my car. The thing sounds awesome very aggressive, but the 1 hour since i had them installed i can say that the drone at 2k RPM is a little much. I am running it with a stock H pipe right now and was wondering if changing it out for an X pipe would reduce some of the drone @ around 2k rpm. I really don’t mind the popping that i get with an H pipe, i kind of like that actually, but it seems that once u go past 2k rpm the exhaust sounds so much smoother(guessing gasses are coming out at a higher velocity and doesn’t create turbulence in the H pipe like it does at lower RPM?), so my logic is telling me that if you smooth out the airflow at lower rpm it wouldn’t create as much resonance since the exhaust is flowing more freely... Has anyone done this? How much of a diff have you noticed? in car and outside?

Oh and please don’t tell me to get Corsa instead….
Originally Posted by 1.8t
You need Rt. 66's like I have lol. Funny thing is, I am considering swapping to Bullets....hmmmm

P.S. - I live in Alpharetta
Sound is Sooooooo subjective....everyone has a different opinion on what they really want to hear....you two guys are pretty close...I suggest meeting up and riding a bit in each other's cars to see the difference....maybe you can even work out a swap and be happy without any extra money spent.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
Will it effect the regular sound of the bullets in any way?
I meant to say does the PRT addition to the bullets make the bullets sound differently outside of the cabin?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM
timmy yellow vette
Instructor

i had bullets on my c5 and loved them! now i have ordered a 08 c6 and need to get some bullets. where did yall get yours? i want to get them from a forum vendor at a good price. thanks for the help. btw. if the drone is too much you can always turn up the radio... take the top off... etc...
Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
NEEPER
Advanced

Heck, I just took the PRT section off of mine and put the factory H-pipe back on! There really isn't that much difference in the drone without the PRT section, the exhaust just sounds like it flows soooo much better now. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded great with the PRT section, just kinda sounded like it was suffocating...I love it now without the PRT and wouldn't go back!!! To each his own...but...

If it's tooo loud....you're tooo old...lol j/k

Bruce
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
What's the difference between the PRT Bullets and the regular bullets?? What are the differences in sound, what does that extra mid part do? Sorry for the newbie question. I'm looking for a new exhaust, heard a clip with bullets, decided to go with those. Now I hear about this PRT part, what do I gain/lose with that? Thanks!!

DH
PRT is MUCH quieter than straight Bullets and there is still some drone.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
timafey
Racer

Originally Posted by timmy yellow vette
i had bullets on my c5 and loved them! now i have ordered a 08 c6 and need to get some bullets. where did yall get yours? i want to get them from a forum vendor at a good price. thanks for the help. btw. if the drone is too much you can always turn up the radio... take the top off... etc...
Your best bet is to watch the for sale section of the forum, thats where i got mine from, came in perfect condition and for $600 cheaper then new Btw no need for a partition, at 60mph the exhaust isnt loud at all and no real drone if you keep it in 5th gear, basically any speed when you are reving higher then 2300 will be drone free.

Looks like I will stay away from the PRT, if i ever get tired of this, i might just get some stingers, but so far i can honnestly say i love this exhaust, the sound is one of the best especially when you lay off at high RPM and hear the gun shots out the back
Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by timmy yellow vette
c6 and need to get some bullets. where did yall get yours? i want to get them from a forum vendor at a good price.
I tried getting mine thru forum vendors....but nobody (with reasonable prices) had them in stock for a Z! I tried a lot of places, the one place with the best price told me I had to wait 2 weeks to get them....and that's because they were going to be shipped direct from B&B.

So, I called B&B direct and told Billy what I wanted and he matched the lowest price I could find. I hope to have them by the weekend!!

Thanks for answering my noob questions!!

Get notified of new replies

To B&B Bullets + X pipe = little drone

Quick Reply: B&B Bullets + X pipe = little drone