C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS TWIN TURBO KIT vs APS TWIN TURBO KIT

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM
xcessivex
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS TWIN TURBO KIT vs APS TWIN TURBO KIT

Hey guys.

I just put a deposit down on an 08 vette 2 days ago, and already ordered my rims, suspension and various other mods, I am going to twin turbo it within a month of getting it so I've been trying to do my homework on the different turbo kits out there.

I intend on doing the install myself over the weekend, but I have been unable to find the detailed installation instructions for the STS turbo kit. I found the APS Turbo kits instructions and it looks like it would take me more than a weekend to complete on my own. Have any of you done this?

If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Also if anyone knows which kit produces faster ET's and higher hp/tq I'd appreciate all the info I can get.

ALSO, I remmember BRABUS2 telling me the APS kit has some substandard parts that should be replaced, I forgot what those were but I think it was either the BOV or some plastic parts

anyway

thank you all for your help!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I installed the STS Kit and can't remember exactly but I think it took me 13 hours to complete. I think they call for 20 hours or something like that.

People will **** on the STS kit since it's a rear mount but you can't beat the sound!

Also you don't lose your stock cats so here in VA you're good for emissions

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 04-23-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 PM
xcessivex
Pro

You wouldn't happen to have the manual, and a scanner would ya

I don't want to be emissions legal FL isnt a tree hugger state
Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 PM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

Your not going to get the power with the rear mounts that you will with the APS... You're also not going to get the power near as fast.

I know it's not anything you're looking to hear, but a D1 ProCharger would probably be a better project. Less work than the APS with similar results. If your not going to forge the bottom, I think you'll get more for your money with a SC. Just my $.02...

I think you should ask the guys in the C6 Forced Induction Forum, too.. There's a lot of TT guys that hang out in there that can give you better info.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

APS
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 AM
knkali
Melting Slicks

dont understand why people are not as enthusiastic about the STS kit as the APS.
The STS has some very nice features. I can understand some lag with STS but the benefits seem to really offset that.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 AM
xcessivex
Pro

Originally Posted by o0 zeno 0o
Your not going to get the power with the rear mounts that you will with the APS... You're also not going to get the power near as fast.

I know it's not anything you're looking to hear, but a D1 ProCharger would probably be a better project. Less work than the APS with similar results. If your not going to forge the bottom, I think you'll get more for your money with a SC. Just my $.02...

I think you should ask the guys in the C6 Forced Induction Forum, too.. There's a lot of TT guys that hang out in there that can give you better info.
this car will get a forged bottom end eventually, its an A6 ( i know i know)... so until they come out with a real tranny upgrade there is no point in adding more hp than that... that is why Im sticking w/ turbos, easier to boost up when the time comes... plus you cant beat the sound of a BOV

Last edited by xcessivex; 04-24-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 AM
xcessivex
Pro

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
APS
as a supporter you wouldnt happen to have the install specs on the STS would you? or be able to tell me how long it would take to install vs an APC? I have all the tools. and my buddy can weld.

Last edited by xcessivex; 04-24-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
xcessivex
Pro

OH YEA, ALSO.. IF ANY OF THE SUPPORTERS ON HERE WANT TO SHOOT ME A GOOD PRICE ON EITHER OF THESE KITS IM ALL EARS AND I CAN PAY CASH so no 3% amex fee nor Sales tax if its out of state I also want to run meth and get a boost controller... If you have any suggestions for a blow off valve.. i hear the synchronic is good but i dont have any 1st hand experience... anyone?

let me know
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xcessivex
this car will get a forged bottom end eventually, its an A6 ( i know i know)... so until they come out with a real tranny upgrade there is no point in adding more hp than that... that is why Im sticking w/ turbos, easier to boost up when the time comes... plus you cant beat the sound of a BOV
Still, might be worth a look... Plenty of guys getting over 800whp with a centrifugal, and the install is a lot less intensive. Check out the guys at ECS! They have built the best FI cars on the 1/4 list.

TT is a pretty intensive install... But no kit is more complete and capable than the APS.

BTW - I recommended talking to the ECS guys because they actually install the STS systems.. You'll be hard pressed to find a forum member who claims those guys tried to "sell" them something. If you want the real scoop, give them a PM.

Last edited by o0 zeno 0o; 04-24-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added the btw stuff
Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 AM
xcessivex
Pro

a s/c would save me alot of time and money, but the tt still gives me a chub...

you wouldnt have any experience w/ those synchronic bov's would you?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 AM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

Hahaha, I feel you man!

nope, unfortunately not.

The TT is definitely a "king of the hill" kind of thing. If that's what makes yo happy, then jump on it!!

I wouldn't have brought it up if it weren't for the fact you mentioned you were doing the labour. The APS is a LOT. I looked at the STS myself, and when I started asking tuners, it was the only option the ALL tried to talk me out of.

Ask around in the Forced Induction forum. There are some really happy TT guys there that would love to talk shop with you.. There are also some SC guys with 700+rwhp on a stock bottom end grinning their asses off. It just depends on what it is you're really looking for, and what you want to do with it.

At the end of the day, TT or SC, you're gonna have more than a chubby when you step on it and feel the 500+ rwhp/tq your gonna get out of any of them! Good luck with the decision!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 AM
xcessivex
Pro

ya know I shoulda posted this there... maybe the moderator could move this? or should I re-post over there? Sorry! new to the whole msg board thing.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by knkali
dont understand why people are not as enthusiastic about the STS kit as the APS.
The STS has some very nice features. I can understand some lag with STS but the benefits seem to really offset that.

You've got lag with the rear mount but you've also got less heat.
I think of it as the lag helps me not spin my tires down low LOL.
No lag between shifts
Cats stay in place. Less heat in the engine bay. The front mount looks killer on the STS too!

APS kit has faster spool up. I think better turbo's in the base kit.
It's quieter too.

This chart is from the predator tune. With a real tune I think I picked up 50 TQ / 38HP at 4K

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 04-24-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

OH YEA, ALSO.. IF ANY OF THE SUPPORTERS ON HERE WANT TO SHOOT ME A GOOD PRICE ON EITHER OF THESE KITS IM ALL EARS AND I CAN PAY CASH so no 3% amex fee nor Sales tax if its out of state I also want to run meth and get a boost controller... If you have any suggestions for a blow off valve.. i hear the synchronic is good but i dont have any 1st hand experience... anyone?

let me know
I love the sound of Tial BOV's and Greddy also. I may go with a Tial on my ECS Paxton supercharger at some point.

As others have said I would give the guys from ECS a call. They install the STS and I'm sure can give you guidance either way. Very good guys, and no upsell. Personally if I was going TT I would be going STS mainly because of the stories and responses I have seen from the other vendor. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys.

I just put a deposit down on an 08 vette 2 days ago, and already ordered my rims, suspension and various other mods, I am going to twin turbo it within a month of getting it so I've been trying to do my homework on the different turbo kits out there.

I intend on doing the install myself over the weekend, but I have been unable to find the detailed installation instructions for the STS turbo kit. I found the APS Turbo kits instructions and it looks like it would take me more than a weekend to complete on my own. Have any of you done this?

If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Also if anyone knows which kit produces faster ET's and higher hp/tq I'd appreciate all the info I can get.

ALSO, I remmember BRABUS2 telling me the APS kit has some substandard parts that should be replaced, I forgot what those were but I think it was either the BOV or some plastic parts

anyway

thank you all for your help!
Call STS, ask for Joe and tell him that I told you to call. He will email you a PDF file with the instructions. I don't have it otherwise I would email you a copy. I am a dealer for him here in Washington state.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 AM
fright88
Safety Car

There is also the TTI kit to look at.

My installer installed a couple STS kits but he told me he didn't like them. Something about not trusting the oil or oil return lines.

Get notified of new replies

To STS TWIN TURBO KIT vs APS TWIN TURBO KIT

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 PM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

simple turbo phyiscs:

Turbos run on heat. the more heat put into them the faster they spin.

Piping causes pressuring loss. As an example a LS7 MAF has 0.75 psi of pressure loss. So if you run 10 feet of pipe with couplers every 2 feet and a series of bends in it you're going to loose about 10psi or so. Meaning that in order to see 5 psi in the manifold you'll need to make 15 psi at the turbo.

So the STS is going to be slow to spool, and it has to spool higher to make the same psi as a traditional kit. And at 20 hrs it isn't THAT much less than a APS kit to intall (~24 hrs on a GTO so I assume similar on a vette)

Also I've yet to see any STS owner post up a 1/4 mile run.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That certainly seems exaggerated. I highly doubt the STS turbo's have 15psi wastegates to see 5psi in the manifold.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
simple turbo phyiscs:

Turbos run on heat. the more heat put into them the faster they spin.

Piping causes pressuring loss. As an example a LS7 MAF has 0.75 psi of pressure loss. So if you run 10 feet of pipe with couplers every 2 feet and a series of bends in it you're going to loose about 10psi or so. Meaning that in order to see 5 psi in the manifold you'll need to make 15 psi at the turbo.

So the STS is going to be slow to spool, and it has to spool higher to make the same psi as a traditional kit. And at 20 hrs it isn't THAT much less than a APS kit to intall (~24 hrs on a GTO so I assume similar on a vette)

Also I've yet to see any STS owner post up a 1/4 mile run.
I didn't like what I had to do with the APS to install it. Minor things bothered me plus it was too stealthy and quiet.

I'm a dyno queen... I'd love to run my car on the track but being a vert I'd get kicked out!

Are you talking about any Corvette STS kit or C6 STS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STS TWIN TURBO KIT vs APS TWIN TURBO KIT