C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Mini Tub Project and Winter Mods, with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Gotcha
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Mini Tub Project and Winter Mods, with Pics

Sorry it took so long to get this posted.

I didn't do a very good job of getting all the pictures and steps documented. My digital camera died during the winter after taking really poor quality pictures for a while. So I have a mix of old camera, cell phone and new camera pics.

My car is an 08 Z51 coupe that was museum delivered in Sept 07. I planned on tubbing the car eventually but I also wanted to see how much wheel/tire I could fit with minimal modifications. So I bought a set of 08 take-off split spokes before I even had the car and sent the rears to weldcraft for widening. Here's the thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1860988

Although I was really happy with that setup I really wanted to get a 12" wide wheel on the back and Z06 Brakes / softer tires (non runflat). Winter was right around the corner so I decided to go ahead and tub it. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge because my 11" widened wheels had about zero clearance to the upper control arm with the suspension unloaded (car jacked up or airborne). And although Lingenfelter mini tubs the C6, they don't sell a kit for the C6 like they do for the C5.

So after a couple calls to Kevin at LPE I drove up there to do a little research and hopefully buy some parts. Kevin and a couple guys out in the shop were very helpful and I convinced them that I could do the job. Kevin photocopied some "shop notes" for me and sold me the parts that they use. There were a few items they didn't have in stock, but they got them in within a week or two. Kevin even delivered them to RPM Transmissions which is a lot closer to me than LPE and saved me shipping charges on these big items (rear custom carpet and inner fender liners).

The parts from LPE were:
Custom rear carpet by ACC
Left and Right fiberglass wheel tubs
LPE spec Koni Sport shocks
LPE shock brackets
Inner fender liners
Hardware Kit

OK, lets get started. The first thing I wanted to do was the shock brackets and shocks. The shock brackets raise the shocks up about 1 1/8" . This shortens the unloaded wheel travel which will give us clearance to the upper control arm.

Heres a picture of my control arm which was slightly clearanced for my widened wheels. This is where the wheel will want to hit the control arm.

Here is a picture of the shock brackets. Note how the stock ones are about 1" tall and the LPE ones are actually recessed for the shock. Stock bracket on left.

Here's the bracket installed and compared to stock.

The LPE brackets were not a direct fit to the upper shock mount on the frame. I had to enlarge the hole in the shock mount so the recessed part of the LPE bracket would fit in it and let the bracket sit flush to the mount. I repainted this area with black chassis paint before mounting the shocks.

Getting that done first helped me take some measurements and decide how much offset I could have and get some wheels ordered.

Next I got the car ready for some cutting to the factory wheel tubs. I covered the car in plastic and taped off the cabin from the trunk area.

Heres the drivers side after being cut

I did the cutting with a dremel tool and extension wand with a diamond cutting wheel that I got from Lowes. Note the fiberglass LPE tub piece.

The factory cutout pieces

The LPE tubs were bonded and riveted to the factory trunk tub with Duramix, good stuff.

Heres the LPE tubs bonded. I used some duramix to build up the pads for the removable top storage brackets, they were a little narrow.

I then used brush-on Herculiner truck bed coating on both sides of the LPE tubs. 2 coats each side. I then used Dynamat Extreme in the whole trunk followed by the Exotic Vette insulation kit in the trunk and front of the car.

I then put down a 1/2" thick cool-it mat before laying the carpet. The carpet came out better than shown in this picture. It was pretty creased up from the box it came in, needed to get the car out in the sun a couple times to straighten it out.

Heres one of my new wheels, CCW C140's, being mocked up with Z06 brakes. I had the calipers powdercoated by Corvette Pilot Mike.

I was worried the DBA rotor color would clash with the wheel color I was going to go with. So I had the rotors ceramic coated black. I later sanded most of the coating off the braking surface before driving the car.

I had the wheels powdercoated with Tiger Drylac Champagne 304 metallic. I was shooting for something close to the magnesium wheel color on the C5. I always liked the look of that color wheel with the cashmere interior color. To give the wheels a special touch I CNC machined the CCW centers to accept the factory C6 logo from an 08 center cap.

I went with Michelin PS2's 275/35-18 and 345/30-19 Almost 50" of total combined treadwidth

I added the white face gauges from Pipedreams and used a 2" hole saw on the dash for an Aeroforce Intercepter scan Gauge.

And finally some finished photos

I'm planning on taking the wheels off and painting the inner barrel of the wheels flat black. Having the wheels such a light color makes brake dust and dirt pretty visible on the inside of the wheel and I think the black will set off the outer wheel color some.

Engine work is next. I've got a custom ground Comp cam on the way and just got the Yella Terra LS3 ultralite rocker arms and new PAC springs and titanium retainers...Waiting patiently for LS9 supercharger kit...

Last edited by Gotcha; 07-11-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Well Done!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Wow, you really are a craftsman!! I wish I had the stones to take on a project like that. That looks fantastic from the back, really looks like a "supercar" with all that meat showing. I would so much prefer this than a widebody kit. Excellent job, congrats!!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazing! How is traction now? Must be out of this world... Does it tramline much?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:39 PM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Damn good work! That is just incredible looking.

Now the question is how does it hook? Is the LS3 still stock and can you roll all the way into the throttle in 1st gear and hook? I would think if you got those tires hot you would find any driveline weak links!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Gotcha
Pro

Thanks for the compliments.

Traction is very good, quite a bit better than the 325 ZO6 tires I had. I cant get a real aggressive launch to stick (on a slick track at test and tune night), but with a mild launch I can roll into the throttle pretty quickly to wot in 1st gear.

I'm especially impressed with ride and handling of the shocks and tires. Very smooth and supple yet handles like its on rails.

Last edited by Gotcha; 02-21-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

Very impressive! I am not a big fan of wide fender kits and YOU have done a nice piece of work to fit large wheels and tires without using a kit.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Fantastic job!!!!! Love the look and I'm betting you love the handling.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by glennhl
Fantastic job!!!!! Love the look and I'm betting you love the handling.
Looks GREAT!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM
NEV3R L8
Drifting

That looks badass. What was the total price of the doing the minitub?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Gotcha= "mod god" if that moniker is offensive in any way then how about the "mod master"
Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 PM
MHL0015
Instructor

That looks great!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good post and good on you for tubbing your wheel wells!

My friend has a highly modified C6 with tubbed wheel wells. I really debated whether I should tub my wheel wells. I was all ready to go....I had the instructions and talked with LPE a couple times and then I decided to wait because of the changed geometry of the dampers. When I finally decide to abandon the F55 suspension for coil-overs, then I may tub the wheel wells. I've got a decent 'interim' track solution but there's just no getting around the fact that tubbing the wheel wells is the way to go.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good job and looks great.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, outstanding.

Get notified of new replies

To Mini Tub Project and Winter Mods, with Pics

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Gotcha
Pro

I want to thank forum member scottycards for buying my widened stock rims and what really makes me happy is seeing them put to good use

Note speed indicator at 165 mph

Last edited by Gotcha; 05-30-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Default Very Impressive

Exceptional project in both concept & execution! Enjoy, & keep up posted on the engine mods.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:01 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Excellent work!

I love lots of tire sitting inside the stock body lines!

Quick Reply: Mini Tub Project and Winter Mods, with Pics