C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only 7rwhp/7rwtq gain from Headers/xpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Well that is the only way to gain power: you either lean out the fuelling table or you advance timing
Stock tune as pig rich anyways; 12.6:1 is very conservative; I hear that most tuners tuning for 93 octane will do close to 13:1!
Not saying its a bad thing. I am saying thats where you got alot of your power from. Not your headers
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Braciole
Actually most tuners will also leave your car RICH because they dont want you to blow your motor from being too lean and coming back to them stating that the tuner blew up my car!!
Mike
There are two schools of thought: run leaner with less ignition timing advance or run richer with more ignition timing advance.
Both run the car leaner than stock. Otherwise there would be no point in tuning; it would make virtually no extra power.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Not saying its a bad thing. I am saying thats where you got alot of your power from. Not your headers
The before part of the dyno was also after the headers; I posted it because it baselined 364hp; supposedly a stock C6 baselines around 340 - 345hp on that dyno, so it had gained around 20hp with the headers and the intake...
But, as many other have noted, most of the gains come from the tune.. I think doing headers and not retuning is a waste of money.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Do you have a 160 T-Stat and matching fan settings?
No, I do not have a tstat. But, it is my understand that they are essentially not needed if you have your car pro tuned.

Originally Posted by BOB EAGAN
Headers normally put out 25 HP, exaust 10 HP, headers and exaust 25-30 HP. Typically your header addition should add 15-18 more HP. Appears you are about 10 HP short. My 07 m6 dyno'd at 365 with Halltec, Corsa Sports and a tune. Your ported intake/tb should give 10 HP more. Don't know why your 20 + HP short, my guess is the tune. Good luck.
Yea, 15-20hp below what I think would be normal for my car and mods... the car does not feel that strong either. I hardly noticed any change after the headers...

The before part of the dyno was also after the headers; I posted it because it baselined 364hp; supposedly a stock C6 baselines around 340 - 345hp on that dyno, so it had gained around 20hp with the headers and the intake...
But, as many other have noted, most of the gains come from the tune.. I think doing headers and not retuning is a waste of money.

So do you think I should switch tuners? Or before I drop the money on that should I be doing something else?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad06vette
No, I do not have a tstat. But, it is my understand that they are essentially not needed if you have your car pro tuned.

Yea, 15-20hp below what I think would be normal for my car and mods... the car does not feel that strong either. I hardly noticed any change after the headers...

So do you think I should switch tuners? Or before I drop the money on that should I be doing something else?

Something is not right for sure. When I installed my Kooks last weekend and loaded the Diablo header tune (not max power Im sure) it will now roast the tires all the way through 1st on a roll. Before the headers/tune it would just faintly chip them a few times as rpm increased. I have a fresh set of BFG KDW's. I noticed a huge difference. Did you figure out the noise from the driver side header?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Something is not right for sure. When I installed my Kooks last weekend and loaded the Diablo header tune (not max power Im sure) it will now roast the tires all the way through 1st on a roll. Before the headers/tune it would just faintly chip them a few times as rpm increased. I have a fresh set of BFG KDW's. I noticed a huge difference. Did you figure out the noise from the driver side header?
Going tomorrow morning to put it on a lift and check it out and get it fixed. I just put a fresh set of KDWs on my car last week as well...

I'm gunna talk with the shop tomorrow and see what they recommend, it is a different shop from the one I previously went to for my retune after the header install...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
You need better tires. I can hammer my car on and off the throttle in 1st gear and my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s will NEVER break traction unless the ground is wet, dirty or they are very cold
We'll see how this plays out once I have a supercharger though
Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Are you planning more mods? If so get them out of the way before you spend money on a re-tune. I would probably want to go to a different tuner but do your homework first: check for leaks, check the plugs, maybe even check compression if you can... Also as someone else said: a dyno chart, or, better still, a datalog would go a long ways towards identifying potential issues...
Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,181 Likes on 681 Posts

Post the graph and the log data. The combination of hot air and no 160 stat can result in timing being pulled if your water temps were high. What A/F were you running?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:06 PM
HPAvette
Instructor

Default I just dynoed my 08 LS3 Vette after installing kooks and offroad pipe

I got 433 to the wheels and before the headers I was putting down 388hp
Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HPAvette
I got 433 to the wheels and before the headers I was putting down 388hp
yeah... see I don't understand why I didn't even make half of that!!! I'm so frustrated.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

He has an LS3
Those pesky 6.2Ls are part of the reason I modded my car... Gotta keep up with the times
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I agree with the tune being needed but I dyno'd stock at 372
rolled in to the tuner with Kook's 1 3/4 's and turned 420rwhp with no
tune. Max dyno after other mods 433 rwhp 430 rwtq.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could the knock sensors be bad, meaning they are prematurely sensing knock and hence pulling timing when it shouldn't be?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JJC5
Could the knock sensors be bad, meaning they are prematurely sensing knock and hence pulling timing when it shouldn't be?
Possible, but that would have the Check Engine Light flashing continuously, as it flashes when Knock is sensed. It would also show up on the dyno.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 AM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Possible, but that would have the Check Engine Light flashing continuously, as it flashes when Knock is sensed. It would also show up on the dyno.
Yeah, thats what I have been told.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Buy hp tuners and tune it yourself. You will get a much better tune and we can help you diagnose any issues..

Get notified of new replies

To Only 7rwhp/7rwtq gain from Headers/xpipe

Old 07-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You're blessed with a couple world class Corvette tuner shops in the DFW area.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:52 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

I made 378rwhp SAE with a Halltech cai, Kooks 1 3/4" long-tubes, x-pipe with cats, Corsa cat-back and tune. The tune was done before the addition of the long-tubes and I didn't have it retuned.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:03 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

I do not know who did the work, but Im willing to take a look at it and see if its on par with the cars we see come through here.

We have a LOT of baseline and before/after runs. Doing a comparison for your knowledge isnt a problem.

Let me know if I can help

Louis

Quick Reply: Only 7rwhp/7rwtq gain from Headers/xpipe