C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe install helps what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Michael Trout
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-pipe install helps what?

I have an 08 Pace Car (6-speed coupe) with the NPP exhaust. I recently installed the controller (which is a hoot!), and am inclined to keep the exhaust open most of the time, EXCEPT for the excessive popping and crackling on deceleration. I'm surprised I find it excessive; the Borla Stingers on my C5 produced a similar sound, but MUCH less of it, and I loved it. So my question: Would install of an X-pipe help? (I've heard that this is all an X-pipe accomplishes, over an H: reduction of popping and crackling.) Or does the NPP already have an X-pipe? If so, is there anything else I can do to reduce this liftoff noise, while retaining the wonderful howl of open pipes?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can tell you is that I recently added an X-Pipe (LG) in my C6 with Corsa Sports and it still pops on decceleration. I'm used to it because it did it since I installed the Corsas last year. The X-Pipe didn't change a thing. It's even louder now since it has headers too but the popping isn't changed. It doesn't bother me at all and I have learned how to somewhat control it.

Based on red06c6hm, I should clarify I have an 07 Z51 and it came with an H-Pipe. I didn't know the 08's had an X-Pipe. Is that part of the NPP option?

Last edited by Poppy's Vette; 07-31-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
red06c6hm
Instructor

Helps scavenging and balancing pulses between pipes and your 08 already has one.

Last edited by red06c6hm; 07-31-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Finster07
Pro

Originally Posted by POPY'S VT
All I can tell you is that I recently added an X-Pipe (LG) in my C6 with Corsa Sports and it still pops on decceleration. I'm used to it because it did it since I installed the Corsas last year. The X-Pipe didn't change a thing. It's even louder now since it has headers too but the popping isn't changed. It doesn't bother me at all and I have learned how to somewhat control it.

Popping on deceleration. I just started a thread on that about 1 month ago and another one about 5 months ago. It all started with my corsa sport and xpipe install. It was popping pretty good after that. Then I installed kooks headers and xpipe. Now it's even louder. Not the girly gurgle stuff but the loud popping that causes women and children on the streets to dive into the bushes. It's embarrasing at times. If I did a major deceleration with my wife in the car she would slap me.

I had 2 dynos. The 2nd dyno was ONLY to tone down the popping. It didnt work. A different tuner in denver said to bring it in for another dyno and MAYBE he could do something with it. I will have to wait for another tax stimulus check from Obama before I pay for a 3rd dyno.

My only hope is that the popping will eventually blow the corsas off the car and then maybe I'll reinstall the stock mufflers.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Last edited by Finster07; 07-31-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another reason I swear by the Magnaflows. No popping.

On a side note, Micheal are you related to any of the Trouts in New Jersey? I played poker with a semi-pro guy from the Trout family up there.

Get notified of new replies

To X-pipe install helps what?

Quick Reply: X-pipe install helps what?