C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Powergrip HD clutch question

Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 PM
BlueFish81
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ram Powergrip HD clutch question

Hello guys,

I purchased the Powergrip HD for my 08 LS3 Corvette, I just got the unit and it has the clutch plate, clutch spring and the alignment tool. Isn’t it supposed to have a bearing with it?

Thank you.
Karn
Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Well I would ask the MFG and if it's not included get a new one. no sense in doing all that work!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The bearing can only be purchased with the slave cyl. It does not come with the clutch for the C6. At least it didn't when I bought mine and it seems like things have not changed.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I'm no stranger to clutch swaps and I'm warning you that the RAM 931hd was the worst clutch I ever had. The thing banged going into 1st so bad that it destroyed the slave cylinder breaking the slave and getting a tow home. New LS7 with a aluminum flywheel fixed me up to this day.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 AM
BlueFish81
Racer

I confirmed it. It does no come with the bearing just like "AintQik" said.

Spin,
This one is the 910HD. I am not sure what the difference is but this was the most suggested one out of all the setups I could buy. The only thing I am a little disappointed is that the Ram billet flywheel which is recommended to be used with this clutch is not lighter than my stock one. I was hopping to scavenge few ponies from there.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BlueFish81
I confirmed it. It does no come with the bearing just like "AintQik" said.

Spin,
This one is the 910HD. I am not sure what the difference is but this was the most suggested one out of all the setups I could buy. The only thing I am a little disappointed is that the Ram billet flywheel which is recommended to be used with this clutch is not lighter than my stock one. I was hopping to scavenge few ponies from there.
That makes me feel better for you. The nightmare was pretty bad with that thing from pedal feel that was advertised as like stock (yeah right) and the engagement was so bad at times I thought it would rip the trans out of the car. Finally the banging was so bad that the plastic throw-out bearing actually broke and the heat from it's internal friction melted the plastic housing until the slave cylinder piston fully came out resulting in a puddle under my car. I couldnt relsease the clutch so I turned off the car, put it in first and started it in gear to get it to the side of the road for its flatbed ride home.

Aintqik came out the next week to help me do the swap to a new LS7 with a fidanza flywheel and a new slave/throw-out bearing that I ordered from Fred Beans. I didnt the swap on a Sunday and when I opened the slave box the throwout bearing wasnt in there and no one was open to get a new one. Monday morning fred Beans tells me"oh yeah we have it here on the shipping desk...haha the new guy didnt pack it right and forgot it...haha". I had to buy a new one from a local dealer for 250 bucks to get the car together. The car was taking up precious hangar space and cost the family money so I was banned from weekend build-ups there .....forever.

I love RAM.

The LS7....best move I ever made and its a perfect match with the light weight flywheel since the pressure plate is so heavy.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 10-15-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 AM
BlueFish81
Racer

I have heard some bad stories about the LS7. There is a shop here that had the LS7 in there Vette and the thing just flew out of the car, lucky for the driver he still has his legs. By the way the clutch in my 08 LS3 has the same part number as the LS7
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BlueFish81
I have heard some bad stories about the LS7. There is a shop here that had the LS7 in there Vette and the thing just flew out of the car, lucky for the driver he still has his legs. By the way the clutch in my 08 LS3 has the same part number as the LS7
Since its in all 2008's and all Z06's, its pretty well proven.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What, ya didn't believe me

If you need any help PM Spin or I. We've done this a few times
Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM
BlueFish81
Racer

Thank you guys for all the support and information.

Karn

Get notified of new replies

To Ram Powergrip HD clutch question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Powergrip HD clutch question