C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock exhaust too quite

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
callhall
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock exhaust too quite

Is there anything i can do to make the stock exhaust a little louder, removing it seems a bit too much , its standard shift and cant hear the motor thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Corvette Forum callhall. Fill in your profile so we know who you are and where you're from, then you should get more responses.

Yes, many members feel the same as you do about the stock exhaust. We like to hear our cars. Even more an issue is that the stock exhaust (non NPP) restricts air flow, which is essential for optimum performance.

There are numerous aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems, some better than others. I suggest using the Search utility at the top of the page. There are a plethora of existing threads discussing the merits of each brand/version of high-flow exhaust and header systems.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/category....45&sortby=name
Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

QTP electronic cut outs

www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
bigdogk9
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several post on the forum where some of us have tried drilling them out. Do a search and start reading.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had same problem. There's no cheap simple solution. Some have gone with headers which also gives bonus of extra hp. Need a tune with this. If you decide on aftermarket exhaust make sure you do you're homework. Tons of info on forum. Do advanced search.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Be careful of BillyBoat brand ; theirs and a few others will give you an annoying drone around 1500-1900 rpms .... exactly where youll be at 70 mph in 6th gear on a long trip. They should be ashamed of putting out a product without concern for this. It was so annoying that i went back to stock mufflers and lost $500 in the process.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Safe Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
QTP electronic cut outs

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
C6Antwon
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Safe Guy
Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM
redgb
Instructor

In drfense of Billy Boat systems, I've recently installed their new FUSION exhaust system on my 2006 coupe. The system uses the vacuum operated butterfly valves similar to the NPP exhaust system. Therefore, you get loud when you want and select the quieter mode for cruise. I've been very satisfied with the system and the quality of the product. I installed it myself and their customer support was great.
The install does require running a vacuum line from the engine back to an installed switch / vacuum tank unit and also running a electrical line from the fuse panel to the same unit. The mufflers themselves installed fairly easily.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
c5creech
Intermediate

Default Cut-outs

Cut-outs are a good solution. Kinda' the best of both worlds...you get the stock sound when you want it...and the wide-open exhaust when you want it... But, with this warning...(one)...you'll find a bunch of threads concerning leaks with these systems...(two) you must be prepared to insulate the cut-outs from the floor pan area...you'll also find a bunch of threads regarding that. Otherwise...they are a bunch of fun...and sound great!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheycallmeDave
Be careful of BillyBoat brand ; theirs and a few others will give you an annoying drone around 1500-1900 rpms .... exactly where youll be at 70 mph in 6th gear on a long trip. They should be ashamed of putting out a product without concern for this. It was so annoying that i went back to stock mufflers and lost $500 in the process.
Don't blame B&B because you didn't do your homework. Deep sounding exhaust drones in the vette. You have to go with high pitched Corsa to avoid it. B&B has a center section called PRT which cuts down on at least some of the cabin noise. The drone is still irritating though.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:31 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Originally Posted by goatts
Don't blame B&B because you didn't do your homework. Deep sounding exhaust drones in the vette. You have to go with high pitched Corsa to avoid it. B&B has a center section called PRT which cuts down on at least some of the cabin noise. The drone is still irritating though.
I am in error for not doing my homework thoroughly enough, but I thought that a leading Company in exhaust would not put out something that owners would find irritating especially when spending alot on it. So, i DO blame Billy and his Boat for having the audacity thinking owners will put up with constant loud drone and for not perfecting a product. No excuse for that. Ill be warning other potential corvette buyers of my plight with Billy.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
I had same problem. There's no cheap simple solution. Some have gone with headers which also gives bonus of extra hp. Need a tune with this. If you decide on aftermarket exhaust make sure you do you're homework. Tons of info on forum. Do advanced search.
He said a little louder and that may be the remedy. I have headers with stock mufflers.....they are a little louder. I'm adding the head/cam package then let's see what happens.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
goatts
Safety Car

I am in error for not doing my homework thoroughly enough, but I thought that a leading Company in exhaust would not put out something that owners would find irritating especially when spending alot on it. So, i DO blame Billy and his Boat for having the audacity thinking owners will put up with constant loud drone and for not perfecting a product. No excuse for that. Ill be warning other potential corvette buyers of my plight with Billy.
There is no perfecting the product. They would have to make something that sounded like Corsa. You're not the first person to buy straight Bullets and then remove them. I was warned about the drone. I just don't like the sound of Corsa.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by c5creech
Cut-outs are a good solution. Kinda' the best of both worlds...you get the stock sound when you want it...and the wide-open exhaust when you want it... But, with this warning...(one)...you'll find a bunch of threads concerning leaks with these systems...(two) you must be prepared to insulate the cut-outs from the floor pan area...you'll also find a bunch of threads regarding that. Otherwise...they are a bunch of fun...and sound great!
I love my QTP cutouts. Had them for over a year and a half and no leaks.

One of my favorite mods. But the stock exhaust is not restrictive - I dynoed my car open and closed and before I put in a cam it was the same, cutouts open or closed. Once I got the cam the cutouts were worth about 6 rwhp.

Here's my write up with videos and pics and dyno sheets and install tips if you are interested.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1628234

Here's my first post and pictures.

Had QTP cutouts installed by Florida Performance in Fort Lauderdale. Overall very pleased with the job Rob, the shop owner, did. This was his first C6 and he found a great place to put them and made the custom mandrel bent Y-pipes to maximize flow from the cutouts. We found no way to put them right after the collectors but they fit well by the trans. I have the DTE brace too but it wasn't in the way.

Installed the wiring myself along the drivers side rocker panel, behind seat then out the wheel well under the carpet. Removed the rear inner fender and drilled a small hole in the wheel well then ran the wire down to the cutouts. Hardest part is finding a hot wire when the ignition is on on these C6's. I ended up tapping the seat heater fuse as others here have done.

They are loud and DEEP when open at idle. I've actually heard louder exhaust though, I was kind of surprised they are not louder. I think it is because of the turn downs and the fact that I have cats and the pipes are pretty long before the cutouts. On the track they have a nice race car sound - I'd say like Borla Stingers plus 25%. When you open them at a stoplight you will turn heads, that's for sure.

Overall very happy with the mod, it gives me quiet during my morning drive but loud when I'm at the track which is what I wanted.

Here is a video of idle with cutouts open and closed. The gain on the mike makes the closed sound much louder than it is, it's really quiet with factory mufflers even with my cam.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-16-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
He said a little louder and that may be the remedy. I have headers with stock mufflers.....they are a little louder. I'm adding the head/cam package then let's see what happens.
I have an LS3 with long tube headers, no cats, XER281 cam (pretty lumpy), Xcellerator intake, and stock cans. It's too quiet for me. Lots of intake sound, but nothing from the exhaust. I'm not looking for anything too loud, but I would like the vette to sound like a sports car. I'm looking at an NPP system. Seems like a good compromise to me.

Get notified of new replies

To stock exhaust too quite

Old 08-17-2008, 02:57 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c5creech
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

I don't agree. Cutouts are EXTEREME! IMHO NPP/Z06/Fusion is most likely the answer to the question. He said the stock exhaust is too quite (actually should say QUIET) so it seems to me that he's not looking for "OMG that's loud". Instead I think he's looking for a "bit" more of a ballsy sound. A "bit more" would be NPP/Z06/Fusion .... if that is indeed the persons thought. Wide open, via cutouts, may be a bit more than he/she wants. My $.02
Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BB exh

I had a similar experience with BB system on my 6.0L silverado. Although it was probably the best made and best sounding from the outside system I had tried, the interior sound or drone was mind numbing to the point that I dreaded driving the truck. The BB system is on the shelf, a modified stock system is back on.

Quick Reply: stock exhaust too quite