C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 AM
BAMAGOLFER
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'10-'11

Jay Good write-up and pics Thank You.

I'm looking forward to see how you like the tune and your write-up about that.

Kelly
Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Jay, I don't even have an auto trans, but that is not only a good write up but great with the pics. I think it should be put somewhere up above as a tech sticky. Thanks for all who'll see it.

Thanks man! I tried to make it easy enough where anyone could study the pics jump under thier car and not run into any suprises.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BAMAGOLFER
Jay Good write-up and pics Thank You.

I'm looking forward to see how you like the tune and your write-up about that.

Kelly

Thanks Kelley, I cant wait to get the TCM and ECM back. Everyone swears by Chuck's work!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:52 PM
BowTieBob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tune done by Chuck last year and thought it was great. I had his latest tune done at Carlisle and all I can say is ,Hang On!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BowTieBob
I had a tune done by Chuck last year and thought it was great. I had his latest tune done at Carlisle and all I can say is ,Hang On!!!!!
Tell me more man! I cant wait. Does it hold power through the shifts? If weak that my SRT8 BARKS the tires on the 1-2 shift and my C6 eases into 2nd. I cant stand it.

Does it upshift when tap-shifting it any quicker?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What is changed by removing this rather than just tuning through the PCM?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
What is changed by removing this rather than just tuning through the PCM?
Nothing. Most shops local to me cant tune the A6 with the experience (if at ALL) that Chuck can, therefore its easily worth it knowing I am getting the best A6 tune money can buy.

If I was local to Chuck in NY, I would drive over, he hooks up the tune and done.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteBoi504
FYI, Any custom tune adjust tranny parameters too. I don’t understand why someone would send off there tranny computer to get locked. It makes zero sense to me. We have a lot of reputable tuners on here in almost ever state. Why buy the “COW” if the milks free?
I could just learn how to tune myself and skip everybody.

Personally, I have spoken to Chuck and was willing to participate by not only getting his tune with all the updates, but also making a thread for him just for "those" guys who dont have a tuner to go to and this could be the only option for them.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I still dont understand the point of all of this work over just letting someone tune the PCM for transmission parameters.

Seems like a lot of work to have the same thing done.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM
WGO
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Tell me more man! I cant wait. Does it hold power through the shifts? If weak that my SRT8 BARKS the tires on the 1-2 shift and my C6 eases into 2nd. I cant stand it.

Does it upshift when tap-shifting it any quicker?
Chuck's tune for your A6 will end up be the BEST money that you have spent on your Corvette. You could spend money adding more horses, but the stock A6 will still make them seem wimpy. His tune alone gets the stock horses to the road with authority.

I was lucky enough to get my '08 done at Corvettes at Carlisle, but after I experienced the results, I'd say it would be well worth all the effort for the mail-order tune if that is your only option. But Chuck does travel the country, look if he will be doing tunes somewhere near you.

As for your questions ...

Overall, I would describe it as feeling like a well driven manual.

On easy acceleration, it stays in the lower gears longer and allows the rpm's to build to a more sensible point before a very crisp shift. On hard acceleration, you see the rev's really build and then an upshift to the next gear that is so positive it sets you back in your seat. That amazing difference is worth five times the price of the tune.

But there is more ...

On deceleration, it downshifts as your speed drops to keep you in the right gear and ready to accelerate quickly again. It even provides engine braking.

I won't be using the paddle shifters any more. I couldn't do any better than what his tune has done.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Someday I'll have to ride in a car with this mythical A6 tune because I dont believe it can be much different than what anyone else can do with HPtuners when tuning the transmission. My car tears into 2nd gear and will get sideways...not hard to tune the tranny to feel great during shifts.

I just want to understand the reasoning for removing the TCM, because unless there is something SPECIFIC that can be done to it that you cannot do when tuning the PCM it seems pointless and wasted.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
n77nxc
ZO6 Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Someday I'll have to ride in a car with this mythical A6 tune because I dont believe it can be much different than what anyone else can do with HPtuners when tuning the transmission. My car tears into 2nd gear and will get sideways...not hard to tune the tranny to feel great during shifts.

I just want to understand the reasoning for removing the TCM, because unless there is something SPECIFIC that can be done to it that you cannot do when tuning the PCM it seems pointless and wasted.
Anybody in Houston have his tune and willing to give a test drive?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
GETUSUMM
Pro

Originally Posted by WGO
Chuck's tune for your A6 will end up be the BEST money that you have spent on your Corvette. You could spend money adding more horses, but the stock A6 will still make them seem wimpy. His tune alone gets the stock horses to the road with authority.

On easy acceleration, it stays in the lower gears longer and allows the rpm's to build to a more sensible point before a very crisp shift. On hard acceleration, you see the rev's really build and then an upshift to the next gear that is so positive it sets you back in your seat. That amazing difference is worth five times the price of the tune.

On deceleration, it downshifts as your speed drops to keep you in the right gear and ready to accelerate quickly again. It even provides engine braking.

Hey man, this is all normal stuff that comes with a custom tune. 90 % of the tuners on this board tweak all the parameters you are talking about. Mine was done by two reputable tuners on here and the car catches a mean 2nd and sometimes a mean 3rd.

It seems like the people with stock cars love a trans tune. People are not realizing that this comes with ANY custom tune. As for modding your car, Lets say you have a magical tranny tune and you go with a heads/Cam swap or a small nitrous shot or a converter swap. You have to send your locked trans computer back again. Your shiftpoints will need to be changed when adding power. Maybe not for an air filter or exhaust but for major power changes you will be riding the rev limiter. To each his own. Good luck with it
Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Well actually, Chuck gave a great deal on tuning my PCM and TCM so I sent him both. I did talk with him about having another local tuner dyno tune it once the set up is complete and he said it wouldnt be a problem so with faith in that I will hope he does not lock my PCM otherwise I will have a problem getting a dyno tune for L92's and a custom cam. That would suck.

Last edited by LV Vette; 09-05-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Not needed
Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I'm really curious to what he is doing with the TCM that can't be done with the PCM then if you're sending in both.

I'm no tuning master, but I know my way around HPtuners and would be curious to know the added benefit, if any, of a TCM tune for the tranny.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 PM
GETUSUMM
Pro

I'm really curious to what he is doing with the TCM that can't be done with the PCM then if you're sending in both.

I'm no tuning master, but I know my way around HPtuners and would be curious to know the added benefit, if any, of a TCM tune for the tranny.

I would love to know the same thing. If my car hit 2nd or 3rd any harder I would be in the Guard rail. I have a few tweaks in my tranny tune. I run 11:30's all motor
Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
GETUSUMM
Pro

Right, I just dont understand why he is sending both the PCM and TCM in when that can all be changed via the PCM with HPtuners.

I also dont know about that 81 cells needing correcting for tire height. I thought that if you just corrected for the tire height in the 1 field of HPtuners you should be set because all of the other values will work off of that number of rotations.

81 values probably get changed when the "overall height" is changed in the program. It is automatically figured out when “overall height” is changed. It’s a formula that happens in the background and changes the values. It changes WOT shift, WOT vs. rpm, etc etc.

Get notified of new replies

To COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I gotcha. Almost 100% of my tuning experience comes from tuning fbodies and the 4l60E tranny's. I've only messed with my C6 a little.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Hey JAY....It's 3:26AM my time and your A6 TUNE IS DONE!

Hey JAY....It's 3:26AM my time and your A6 TUNE IS DONE!

It's been crazy up here lately...It's amazing what 2 weeks of NO RAIN does to a corvette business!?!?

Anyway...You lucky dog! I just got finished converting your 06 A6 controller to the LATEST 08 A6 OPERATING SYSTEM with my tune....Your 06 A6 will now have the same amazing tune all my 08 A6 customers get. Right now, there are only 4 people in the country with it...and you're one of them.

Your ECM has also just been upgraded to the latest GM operating system which fixes many common problems including the dreaded DBS (dead battery syndrome). It's all tuned up and...YES, I've set it up so that your other tuner will be able to tune and access your engine calibration for future mods.

You now have the most comprehensive A6 tune available. It's far more than shift points and torque management. Ask anyone who has it. I spent over 3 years and used the best features of 3 different tuning packages to create it....

Your engine and trans controllers will be on their way back to you first thing in the morning!

BTW: GREAT JOB ON THE TCM REMOVAL WRITEUP!

Now, let's see if you can get the TCM back in!

Chuck CoW
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey JAY....It's 3:26AM my time and your A6 TUNE IS DONE!

It's been crazy up here lately...It's amazing what 2 weeks of NO RAIN does to a corvette business!?!?

Anyway...You lucky dog! I just got finished converting your 06 A6 controller to the LATEST 08 A6 OPERATING SYSTEM with my tune....Your 06 A6 will now have the same amazing tune all my 08 A6 customers get. Right now, there are only 4 people in the country with it...and you're one of them.

Your ECM has also just been upgraded to the latest GM operating system which fixes many common problems including the dreaded DBS (dead battery syndrome). It's all tuned up and...YES, I've set it up so that your other tuner will be able to tune and access your engine calibration for future mods.

You now have the most comprehensive A6 tune available. It's far more than shift points and torque management. Ask anyone who has it. I spent over 3 years and used the best features of 3 different tuning packages to create it....

Your engine and trans controllers will be on their way back to you first thing in the morning!

BTW: GREAT JOB ON THE TCM REMOVAL WRITEUP!

Now, let's see if you can get the TCM back in!

Chuck CoW
Thanks Chuck! I look forward to it.

Busy is GOOD these days.

Quick Reply: COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!