C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace fob with switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Default replace fob with switch

Building race (no street) car and I want to convert back to a "Normal" key or even a switch. Anyone done this yet?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You need to PM this guy: dre99gsx

Here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...706&highlight=

I guarantee he can answer any questions you have.

He jumps in on post #10.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I haven't checked out the schematics, but it might be harder than you think.

What you are trying to do, in essence, is to 'hotwire' the C6 by bypassing the security system -- but the systems in the C6 have been designed expressly to prevent that from happening.

I do understand why you want to do it for a race-only car, but I don't think its going to be easy nor straight-forward as clipping a switch into the right wires. Replacing the 'start' switch with a key is easy, but the car isn't going anywhere without authorization from the security system. I would think that C6 race teams pull all the stock engine/body management computers out and replace them with a stand-alone system such as might be used when retrofitting an LS2/3/7 into an old hotrod. (just a guess)

A cheaper way might be to NOT bypass the security system at all... permanently mount the fob in the car to keep the security system happy, and then use an electrical master switch on the battery cable to turn the car 'on' when needed.

Interesting question -- keep us posted as to what you find.

Cheers,
Kent
Old 08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I haven't checked out the schematics, but it might be harder than you think.

What you are trying to do, in essence, is to 'hotwire' the C6 by bypassing the security system -- but the systems in the C6 have been designed expressly to prevent that from happening.

I do understand why you want to do it for a race-only car, but I don't think its going to be easy nor straight-forward as clipping a switch into the right wires. Replacing the 'start' switch with a key is easy, but the car isn't going anywhere without authorization from the security system. I would think that C6 race teams pull all the stock engine/body management computers out and replace them with a stand-alone system such as might be used when retrofitting an LS2/3/7 into an old hotrod. (just a guess)

A cheaper way might be to NOT bypass the security system at all... permanently mount the fob in the car to keep the security system happy, and then use an electrical master switch on the battery cable to turn the car 'on' when needed.

Interesting question -- keep us posted as to what you find.

Cheers,
Kent
Why not just take the battery out of the fob and place the fob in the slot in the glove box and be done with it?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
Building race (no street) car and I want to convert back to a "Normal" key or even a switch. Anyone done this yet?
Many of the out-&-out C6 race cars I've seen have replaced the OE PCM with a MoTec ECU Engine Management System. Unless you replace the OE PCM I don't think there's much way to do away with the Fob.

Take a look at:

http://www.motec.com/products/ecu/m4ecu.htm

Bob
Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Why not just take the battery out of the fob and place the fob in the slot in the glove box and be done with it?
I know that is supposed to work, but when I tried that (battery-removed-fob in the slot)... my car would not start. ??? Maybe it has to be in the slot for a while to charge the coil in the fob... I didnt try waiting.

Also, with the fob in the slot, the car's system might always be 'on'... maybe not an issue, but it would bite to have DBS in your racecar
Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

In the class we are in I must retain stock ecm, program is ok in stock unit.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by johnodrake
There is nothing magical about the slot in the glovebox. It won't pick up a signal if there is no battery in the fob to put out a signal. It is just a location that is about 1/4" away from the antenna, which is just on the outside of the plastic toward the driver. Being in such close proximity allows it to pick up a weak signal from a fob with a low battery.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
In the class we are in I must retain stock ecm, program is ok in stock unit.
If that's the case, then I think you're stuck with the Fob!!!

I ran an HPDE at Daytona last December and there was an all-out race prepped C6 there. They had removed about all the computers except the EBCM/ABS and the PCM.

The interior was stripped out with full cage, no windows, doors were just shells with pull-cables for release, netting over the window area, etc. I don't think they had any of the dash remaining and don't think there was any glove compartment to stow the Fob in the holder in the glove box.

The passenger seat was removed and the cool-suit thermos box was strapped to the floor where the passenger seat had been. On the top of the cool-suit box was some industrial strength velcro. Stuck on that velcro was a FOB!!!

It looked kinda funny to see this full race C6 with a totally stripped out interior and then see the Fob sitting in there, but I guess they were running the stock PCM and still needed the Fob. I guess that's a better place than in your pocket. If you forget to hand off the Fob to your co-driver and he goes off and stalls the car, he'd never get it started again if the Fob was in the paddock in the pocket of your nomex race suit!!!

Anyway.....I think you're gonna be stuck with using the Fob.

BTW, you should ask this over in the Auto-x/Road Race section. Specifically, ask David Farmer what he does.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To replace fob with switch

Quick Reply: replace fob with switch