C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning VR filter Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
TxAggie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning VR filter Help

So yesterday I got the bright idea to try and clean the filter of my Vararam. I took off the 2 upper clamps (upper TB to main housing) and undid the 2 snap fit T grommets on the sidsesand that was as far as I got.

I tried to pull the upper housing out but it didn't seem to want to budge. I started pulling and wiggling it but I was afraid I would damage something else by wiggling it too much. Got worried I was going to not be able to put it back together so I put it all back together.

Do I have to undo the whole thing (lower clamps and TB) or did I miss a bolt or something?? If not then I guess the next time I try it I will get a 2nd set of hands to help pull from both sides.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM
MSC6
Pro

Originally Posted by TxAggie
So yesterday I got the bright idea to try and clean the filter of my Vararam. I took off the 2 upper clamps (upper TB to main housing) and undid the 2 snap fit T grommets on the sidsesand that was as far as I got.

I tried to pull the upper housing out but it didn't seem to want to budge. I started pulling and wiggling it but I was afraid I would damage something else by wiggling it too much. Got worried I was going to not be able to put it back together so I put it all back together.

Do I have to undo the whole thing (lower clamps and TB) or did I miss a bolt or something?? If not then I guess the next time I try it I will get a 2nd set of hands to help pull from both sides.
It should come off if you undid the upper part but if not take the whole thing out. It's not that hard to take it out and much easier to put back together with it out. I have taken mine out numerous times just messing with it and checking the filter etc.. I can get that thing in and out now in minutes. You shouldn't need a second set of hands to pull it apart.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Like the previous poster said... Undo the clamps where the VR is connected to the MAF... and then pull up on it and remove it as one piece... it makes it a lot easier to pull out/put in the filter.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
TxAggie
Pro

Originally Posted by Bad06vette
Like the previous poster said... Undo the clamps where the VR is connected to the MAF... and then pull up on it and remove it as one piece... it makes it a lot easier to pull out/put in the filter.
Isn't the bottom part attached to the front bumper (?) by the long red bar with push pins or screws? I didn't even try to remove that part...I just unhooked the rubber things from the sides to separate the top from the bottom.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I have found that the radiator shroud has developed a bulge across the top of the opening and if I don't push it in as I pull up, the filter housing gets stuck.

Last edited by LJD51; 11-02-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Isn't the bottom part attached to the front bumper (?) by the long red bar with push pins or screws? I didn't even try to remove that part...I just unhooked the rubber things from the sides to separate the top from the bottom.
Yes, unscrew the two bolts holding the red bar on, then disconnect the coupler and wiggle it off. Then you can remove the entire unit. You can inspect the seals this way and it's much eaiser.

After tapping out a bunch of debris, this is what washed out after about 3K miles. I used the Green Filter cleaner.

Last edited by TommyV; 11-02-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.

Originally Posted by TommyV
Yes, unscrew the two bolts holding the red bar on, then disconnect the coupler and wiggle it off. Then you can remove the entire unit. You can inspect the seals this way and it's much eaiser.

After tapping out a bunch of debris, this is what washed out after about 3K miles. I used the Green Filter cleaner.

Hmmmm...I guess I have been doing something wrong for the last couple of years as I have never washed my filter.

I use my compressor to blow the filter clean and have never had a problem...
Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Next time, after blowing it out, use the cleaner and see what happens.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 2 cans of cleaner from my old K&N filter (used on my 96) can I use these to clean the Vararam filter.. one can is spray oil the other is a cleaner...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Probably, but this is what they recommend.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
Probably, but this is what they recommend.
Where can I get that Green stuff ?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

CLICK
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Yes, Sorry... I forgot to address that. All you had to do is unscrew (1) screw on each side, then it pulls out as one complete peice. I found it a lot easier to just take the whole thing out as 1 piece.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:22 PM
TxAggie
Pro

Yes, Sorry... I forgot to address that. All you had to do is unscrew (1) screw on each side, then it pulls out as one complete peice. I found it a lot easier to just take the whole thing out as 1 piece.

OK so next time I leave the rubber things attached and just remove the 2 upper clamps and 2 screws and pray I can get it out.

Thanks for the link to the filter cleaner...I will order it before I try it again.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

OK so next time I leave the rubber things attached and just remove the 2 upper clamps and 2 screws and pray I can get it out.

Thanks for the link to the filter cleaner...I will order it before I try it again.
Yes, just the 2 upper clamps and the 2 screws. You will wedge it out a little bit, to get it off the MAF and then it will be easy to pull up and out. Did you not do the Vararam install yourself? When you install it... you put it together as one piece and slide it in and then connect it to the MAF... so, essentially it is just a reverse of the directions. Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
TxAggie
Pro

Yes, just the 2 upper clamps and the 2 screws. You will wedge it out a little bit, to get it off the MAF and then it will be easy to pull up and out. Did you not do the Vararam install yourself? When you install it... you put it together as one piece and slide it in and then connect it to the MAF... so, essentially it is just a reverse of the directions. Hope this helps!
No I didn't install it...I chickened out and had a performance shop do it for $90 which was cheap considering it would have taken me 8 hours, lots of sweat (TX heat), and some back pain from leaning over the car all day.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

When I took mine apart I just undid the top clamp by the MAF & pushed in around the shroud & then lifted out the filter. I could not believe how much crap came out of it. I washed it several times, allowed it to air dry & put a very light mist of WD40 on the outlet side. Re-assembled & tghtened the clamps. The foam gaskets around it aren't the best in the world & I had to re-position those as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning VR filter Help

Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

No I didn't install it...I chickened out and had a performance shop do it for $90 which was cheap considering it would have taken me 8 hours, lots of sweat (TX heat), and some back pain from leaning over the car all day.
Hey, don't give me those excuses!!

I am from Texas and I did mine in August in 100 degree weather! It only took me about 2 hours from start to finish... the biggest issue for me was cutting the shroud.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
TxAggie
Pro

I am from Texas and I did mine in August in 100 degree weather! It only took me about 2 hours from start to finish... the biggest issue for me was cutting the shroud.
Coming to San Antonio any time soon??
Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
The foam gaskets around it aren't the best in the world & I had to re-position those as well.
I removed the gasket that came with it and replaced it 1.5 inch truck cap foam that comes in a roll.

Originally, I trimmed the excess for a clean look but when I put everything back together, the upper half has a slight bow along the top and bottom edges that look as if would let dirt/crud in, so I re-installed the foam full size and it seals it up tight.

I don't have pics but can get them if interested.

I am from Texas and I did mine in August in 100 degree weather!
But it's a dry heat...

Last edited by LJD51; 11-03-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Cleaning VR filter Help