C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix exhaust leak where header meets mid pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
harrower
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clockworks
Man, we hit the clamps pretty hard with an impact... I kept saying, more MORE and my friend said he didn't fit comfortable hitting them any harder. When we were done, one slot on the DS header to cat was still open. Should we just keep hitting it with impact?

What size for the header to cat connection? 3", right?
Yes 3"! I put them on all the connections.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM
clockworks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I got the exhaust leak fixed.

The Torqtite preformed band clamps didn't help at all, so I took it to an exhaust shop.

The guy there diagnosed the leak and said I have two choice: muffler cement (difficult to remove) and gasket cement (easy to remove). I obviously chose the latter.

It's Fabre's Hot Gasket Cement and he said it will crumble away if you hit it hard enough with a hammer.

After a week of driving, I got under my car and verified that the leak is no longer there. Then I got my car tuned at 21st Century Muscle Cars and they verified also that there is no detectable leak.

Btw, my car picked up 26 rwtq, but only 13 rwhp.

-- C
Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Ok, I got the exhaust leak fixed.

The Torqtite preformed band clamps didn't help at all, so I took it to an exhaust shop.

The guy there diagnosed the leak and said I have two choice: muffler cement (difficult to remove) and gasket cement (easy to remove). I obviously chose the latter.

It's Fabre's Hot Gasket Cement and he said it will crumble away if you hit it hard enough with a hammer.

After a week of driving, I got under my car and verified that the leak is no longer there. Then I got my car tuned at 21st Century Muscle Cars and they verified also that there is no detectable leak.

Btw, my car picked up 26 rwtq, but only 13 rwhp.

-- C
13 rwhp thats really low for headers esp ones that took some work to stop leaking! They need to spend some money and use the type of joint that KOOKS, ARH use which is no doubt more expensive but is a way better joint that can't leak when tight!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
clockworks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
13 rwhp thats really low for headers...
Well my car was already tuned (and picked up substantial gains) before the headers. So if you consider my car completely stock vs now, it's a much bigger difference... something like 41 rwhp... but my car came pig rich from the factory and put down very low numbers for an LS3.

Also, the tuner said the car was detonating some. He said many cars have been after Katrina because we're getting crappy gas now. So that could attribute to the mere 405 rwhp from an LS3+headers+tune.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Well my car was already tuned (and picked up substantial gains) before the headers. So if you consider my car completely stock vs now, it's a much bigger difference... something like 41 rwhp... but my car came pig rich from the factory and put down very low numbers for an LS3.

Also, the tuner said the car was detonating some. He said many cars have been after Katrina because we're getting crappy gas now. So that could attribute to the mere 405 rwhp from an LS3+headers+tune.
I hear ya, I was only 372 stock and ended up at 421 with tune and headers. But on the same hand another made 394 and ended
up 424 with tune ,headers. so it does matter where you start out at!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by harrower
How can the clamps be installed upsidedown?
When Chuck told me the clamps were upsidedown I responded that there are no issues, so I presume he ment the bolt side should be up to minimize the possibility of it snagging something that is too low to the ground. It was easy to get a wrench on it while lying on the floor and
the install instructions make no mention of that.

Quick Reply: How to fix exhaust leak where header meets mid pipe?