C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Identifying This Part!

Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Excind
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help Identifying This Part!

I could use some help figuring out what this part does. I found it this afternoon loosely up against the #8 spark plug boot. When I grabbed it it almost fell to the floor.

I noticed the single clip that holds it was hanging off the frame so I removed it. I looked around to see if something was floating free in the engine compartment but found nothing.

I looked up the part number (1347347) and it just calls it a shield but not for what. As knowledgable as you guys are I figured I would ask. I appreciate any help you can give.

As you can tell from the pictures (If I posted them right) it is on the passenger side between the battery and the exhaust manifold almost at the firewall.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I dunno what it is!!!

That's a bad part# you posted - part numbers should have 8 digits.

Bob
Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as I read your title I knew what part this was going to be.

Where you show it sitting is exactly where it is supposed to sit. Nothing connects to it. I removed mine when I put the first cam in and never put it back in place. It is just sitting on my bench now. I'm sure it has a purpose but I couldn't get it to go back in and feel like it wasn't going to just fall off so I left it out. My wife's car has the same part just sitting there. I know it seems odd.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Maybe it is something they use during assembly and just leave it there.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Excind
I could use some help figuring out what this part does. I found it this afternoon loosely up against the #8 spark plug boot. When I grabbed it it almost fell to the floor.

I noticed the single clip that holds it was hanging off the frame so I removed it. I looked around to see if something was floating free in the engine compartment but found nothing.

I looked up the part number (1347347) and it just calls it a shield but not for what. As knowledgable as you guys are I figured I would ask. I appreciate any help you can give.

As you can tell from the pictures (If I posted them right) it is on the passenger side between the battery and the exhaust manifold almost at the firewall.

________________________________________ ____________________

Not sure what it is myself, but this makes me wonder if my '08 C6 has one. Guess I will find out soon since I am planning to move my battery to the rear. My hopes are to use this location by installing an Accumsump. I track my car and am concerned about the oil pump sucking air rather than oil during B G stops and turns. Anybody out there have any luck hooking up a 3 quart Accusump?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
BigMay60
Instructor

Mine fell out a long time ago during a cam swap. I did not reinstall it. It does not look like it does anything. Its prob some type of GM assembley thing.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Excind
Racer

Originally Posted by ShinodaVette
As soon as I read your title I knew what part this was going to be.

Where you show it sitting is exactly where it is supposed to sit. Nothing connects to it. I removed mine when I put the first cam in and never put it back in place. It is just sitting on my bench now. I'm sure it has a purpose but I couldn't get it to go back in and feel like it wasn't going to just fall off so I left it out. My wife's car has the same part just sitting there. I know it seems odd.

Originally Posted by BigMay60
Mine fell out a long time ago during a cam swap. I did not reinstall it. It does not look like it does anything. Its prob some type of GM assembley thing.
Thanks to all, I also am not putting it back on. I set it there just long enough to snap pics. I didnt see use for it but wanted to make sure.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I dunno what it is!!!

That's a bad part# you posted - part numbers should have 8 digits.

Bob
You are correct sir, I left off the "0" its 10347347. Good catch. That is what I get for getting the number from short term memory instead of reading it!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I took mine off when I did the headers. Did not see a purpose for it.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
vetteflyer05
Instructor

Holy cow man! That is the cam defrobulator, without it your turn signal fluid will run hot and the supercharger magnets will change polarity. The first sign of all this is your tires will turn black. Go check, I'll wait.............
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Excind
Racer

Originally Posted by vetteflyer05
Holy cow man! That is the cam defrobulator, without it your turn signal fluid will run hot and the supercharger magnets will change polarity. The first sign of all this is your tires will turn black. Go check, I'll wait.............
Thank goodness, I thought it was the cover for the muffler bearing!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Excind

Check out the covered wires between the bracket and the firewall. These are hot cables from the battery and fuse box and run down to the starter solenoid. The bracket is there to keep the wire away from the heat of the engine and exhaust manifold.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
lockman
Burning Brakes

yea I didn't know what it was either when I installed my headers but it got put back on there seams kind of usless but it went back on anyway.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I took mine off when I did the headers. Did not see a purpose for it.
Its the C6 appendix......
Old 09-14-2009, 02:46 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bkazepis
Its the C6 appendix......
Beat me . . . I was going to say tonsils.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

You guys are making a joke out this but my explanation above is the reason it's there. This subject has been brought up many times over the years that the C6 has been out.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Excind
Racer

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Check out the covered wires between the bracket and the firewall. These are hot cables from the battery and fuse box and run down to the starter solenoid. The bracket is there to keep the wire away from the heat of the engine and exhaust manifold.
Thanks VET4LES. I will check the wire bundle this afternoon to see how much play there is. Unless it is has a lot of play in it though I will leave it off.

When I found it it was almost laying against the exhaust manifold and I was surprised it was still there. One small bump and it would have been gone.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Identifying This Part!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help Identifying This Part!