C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Mororsports Sawr Bar End Links Installed

Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
but the line between want & need becomes blurry when it comes to mods.
This has got to be "the quote of the day!"

Heck, maybe the whole week!

Thanks...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I don't really understand why you'd install these with stock swaybars? Most people upgrade the endlinks when going with massive bars like the T1s. The heim-jointed endlinks that come from GM with them clank and pop which can be annoying in a street driven car. That's where LG comes in... to give you the performance w/o the noise.

However, with stock sways on a street driven car you'll feel nothing. The stock enlinks are very robust and don't "squish" or deflect any with a stock sized bar. Even using them with T1 bars works quite well.

The true advantage of a heimjointed enlink is being able to install the bar with zero pre-load or being able to fine-tune the bar by dialing pre-load in. Do do this you have to have the suspension loaded when installing the bar. Most of all you really have to know your stuff and be racing the car. The stock setup allows for now adjustment as the endlinks are fixed. Generally the setup results in zero pre-load anyway.

Just trying to inform some to save your average vetter a few bucks
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I don't really understand why you'd install these with stock swaybars? Most people upgrade the endlinks when going with massive bars like the T1s. The heim-jointed endlinks that come from GM with them clank and pop which can be annoying in a street driven car. That's where LG comes in... to give you the performance w/o the noise.

However, with stock sways on a street driven car you'll feel nothing. The stock enlinks are very robust and don't "squish" or deflect any with a stock sized bar. Even using them with T1 bars works quite well.

The true advantage of a heimjointed enlink is being able to install the bar with zero pre-load or being able to fine-tune the bar by dialing pre-load in. Do do this you have to have the suspension loaded when installing the bar. Most of all you really have to know your stuff and be racing the car. The stock setup allows for now adjustment as the endlinks are fixed. Generally the setup results in zero pre-load anyway.

Just trying to inform some to save your average vetter a few bucks

Happy Thursday, Brian...

Thanks for the excellent post! I fully agree with you on every point with the minor exception that I have a bit of a different opinion of the 'robustness' stock end links (remember, I already confessed to an affinity for 'overkill!').

There is quite likely an upgrade to T1 in this car's future... being an old club [road] racer and autocross guy, I can never quite seem to get all this stuff out of my system... I am sure that you completely understand!

Back "in the day" (as they say), I installed sway bars on my 911 that were simply huge... with adjustible end links. That and the Bilsteins and a competition alignment gave me a car that was superb... well, at least for its day (really early 80s). The car was actually better than I was, but I did manage to squeak out a 'First in Class' (for the year) for both the local PCA region's road course trials and the autocross series. Then I sold the car.

Good judgment has never been one of my strengths!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

such aplomb....

but a worthwhile post by cobra for those wanting to know a bit more, too.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by RFP

Happy Thursday, Brian...

Thanks for the excellent post! I fully agree with you on every point with the minor exception that I have a bit of a different opinion of the 'robustness' stock end links (remember, I already confessed to an affinity for 'overkill!').

There is quite likely an upgrade to T1 in this car's future... being an old club [road] racer and autocross guy, I can never quite seem to get all this stuff out of my system... I am sure that you completely understand!

Back "in the day" (as they say), I installed sway bars on my 911 that were simply huge... with adjustible end links. That and the Bilsteins and a competition alignment gave me a car that was superb... well, at least for its day (really early 80s). The car was actually better than I was, but I did manage to squeak out a 'First in Class' (for the year) for both the local PCA region's road course trials and the autocross series. Then I sold the car.

Good judgment has never been one of my strengths!
10-4
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I will be installing Z51 Sway Bars and plan on using the existing stock end links. If there is a distinct advantage in upgrading to the LG HD quiet end links, I will do so. However, I am on the fence as to the advantages of upgrading. I do not track the car but if the opportunity presents itself I will. After reading many forum member contributions, I come to the conclusion that the main advantage offered by the LG end links is their adjustable. Also, if the stock end links should begin to pop, squeek, clank or otherwise make noise, upgrading to the LG's can fix this problem. My stock end links are in great shape and will probably serve my upgrade to Z51 sway bars just fine. Am I missing something (other than the want or need for overkill)?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jxhunte
I will be installing Z51 Sway Bars and plan on using the existing stock end links. If there is a distinct advantage in upgrading to the LG HD quiet end links, I will do so. However, I am on the fence as to the advantages of upgrading. I do not track the car but if the opportunity presents itself I will. After reading many forum member contributions, I come to the conclusion that the main advantage offered by the LG end links is their adjustable. Also, if the stock end links should begin to pop, squeek, clank or otherwise make noise, upgrading to the LG's can fix this problem. My stock end links are in great shape and will probably serve my upgrade to Z51 sway bars just fine. Am I missing something (other than the want or need for overkill)?

Nope.... It sounds to me as if you have a good plan. Apparently, you have your head "screwed on straight"... Not a claim I can often make ( )!!

Put on the Z51 sways and if later you need (or want) you can upgrade to the LGs... kinda like me doing the links first with the T1s (maybe? ) to follow later.

But unlike me, you should be able to immediately tell a real difference with your new sway bars mod.

Cheerz,

Rob
Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by jxhunte
You are the reason I posted above... you have zero need to waste hundreds of dollars on adjustable endlinks. The stockers make no noise and will never make noise becuase they're not heim-jointed.

If you are getting into HPDEs then simply buy a helmet and get track time. Do not mod your car until you have a 10+ events under your belt and you can truly decide what you want the car to do better/differently.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
mikeci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys I'm finally convinced to shell out the bucks for new end links since I have all the popping and crunching coming from the suspension. I might have missed this in the posts but the questions I have is where do the spacers go?(although it may be apparent to most of you but I'm a little slow on the up take)I can't see it in the pics that RFP posted and what are the torque specs for the bolt up?
thanks,
MIke
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure about where the spacers go but according to my 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Service Manual, Fastener Tightening Specifications are as follows:
Front Suspension
Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Clamp Bolts (43 lb ft)
Stabilizer Shaft Link Nuts (56 lb ft)
Rear Suspension
Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Clamp Bolt (49 lb ft)
Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Clamp Nut (70 lb ft)
Stabilizer Shaft Link Nuts (53 lb ft)
Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 AM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mikeci
ok guys I'm finally convinced to shell out the bucks for new end links since I have all the popping and crunching coming from the suspension. I might have missed this in the posts but the questions I have is where do the spacers go?(although it may be apparent to most of you but I'm a little slow on the up take)I can't see it in the pics that RFP posted and what are the torque specs for the bolt up?
thanks,
MIke
OK, It looks as if the torque info is covered...

I've got the photos of the front links, so I'll go ahead and post them now while I'm thinking about it (I'll get the rears posted later).

This is a shot of the front passenger side... the front of the car is to your right. In this photo, you can see how the bolts go through both the bar and the attachment on the chassis cradle. The "bar bolt" points toward the front of the car, the "A-Arm bolt" points toward the rear.

The spacer "order" is the same for both bolts:

First: Bolt
Second: "bar" (for the top) or "A-Arm" (for the bottom)
Third: Large spacer
Forth: End link
Fifth: Small spacer
Sixth: Nyloc nut

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]

Last edited by RFP; 03-02-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Corrected spacer "order" per LG info
Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 559 Likes on 319 Posts

Your undercarriage is really dusty and dirty. How about a wash and some Zaino!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
mikeci
Racer

to start with I must just say I know nothing about all of this but looking at the pics you posted shouldn't the links be perpendicular to the chassis cradle and the bar? If I'm not mistaken the "stock" links are but I could be wrong. btw the torque specs were for the "stock" links and not the LG's
Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Default You are too kind !

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
Your undercarriage is really dusty and dirty. How about a wash and some Zaino!
Oh wow, that sounds great!

What time can I expect you? Will you be bringing your own Zaino, or should I go out and buy some before you get here?

(have a super what's-left-of-the-weekend!)
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mikeci
to start with I must just say I know nothing about all of this but looking at the pics you posted shouldn't the links be perpendicular to the chassis cradle and the bar? If I'm not mistaken the "stock" links are but I could be wrong. btw the torque specs were for the "stock" links and not the LG's
Mike

Thanks, Mike... A quick check with Anthony at LG led to the 'correction' of my installation. I 'edited' my previous post to indicate the correct spacer order.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm thinking of using these when the stock one's go, but i can't believe you're spending the $ for these and you still have stock shocks
Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
I'm thinking of using these when the stock one's go, but i can't believe you're spending the $ for these and you still have stock shocks

Well, Quinn, I'm old, grumpy, and retired!

So, I count my pennies a little differently than I used to...

One thing at a time... New shocks are definitely in the [near] future!

Have a good day!

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To LG Mororsports Sawr Bar End Links Installed

Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

What shocks are you thinking of using, Bilstein, Koni, LG, etc.?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 559 Likes on 319 Posts

Rob

Definitely consider the Koni FSD's. They deliver ride quality and handling in one package.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
mikeci
Racer

opinions on shocks are just as heated as opinions on exhaust systems everybody has their favorite I hope this thread doesn't descend down this slippery slope

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LG Mororsports Sawr Bar End Links Installed