C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part I

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 AM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part I

Stage 3 Monster Clutch with Billet Steel Flywheel Review – Part I

Along with the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, the particular kit I ordered also came with a new slave cylinder and pilot bearing. The slave cylinder and pilot bearing I received were for a C5 and as such they were returned. Steve apologized profusely for the mix-up (apparently they were shipped the wrong components and the mistake did not get caught in time).

I think the slave cylinder for a C6 might be ~$200 and if that price is accurate I would probably only replace the slave cylinder if it was needed and not just "because you are in there". The stock slave cylinder on my car worked (and looked) great, and I think the slave cylinder you get with the upgraded clutch kit is a stock GM one anyhow. The pilot bearing (and perhaps the throwout bearing) might be good candidates for replacing regardless, "since you are in there". A clutch-bleed line would be a nice addition. For the pilot bearing you will most likely need a pilot bearing removal tool (at least I did).

The packaging for the clutch was top notch and shipping was super fast. Steve went out of his way to get me the clutch ASAP (I had it the next day and I live in Canada) as the car that the clutch was going into is my only car. It is a great experience to have a vendor help you "above and beyond" the call of duty and for that I am grateful to Steve.

The clutch scene (for both Corvettes and Mustangs) is interesting. Many people looking for a good all around clutch, willing to spend money, and yet it seems as though there is no clutches that are <$1000 and are consistently receiving good reviews. For every two somewhat-positive reviews of a particular clutch there seems to be three reviews of people who had disastrous experiences with the same clutch. Some of the higher priced clutches >$2000 receive reasonably positive reviews but I think for your average enthusiast, $2000+ dollars for a clutch seems a bit excessive.

One of the first things I noticed about the Stage 3 clutch and flywheel (while taking it out of the box) was the sturdiness and weight. I did not weigh the components but I would be surprised if they were lighter than the stock components. If the weight of a clutch upgrade is a primary concern for you, Monster does offer a chromoly flywheel. I was torn between whether or not to get the chromoly or billet steel flywheel but in the end the decision was made for me as the billet steel was available for delivery sooner than the chromoly would have been.

A few forum posts have commented that they did not care for the green colour of the clutch. I thought the colour was neat looking and I can't imagine a place on your car that will be much more hidden than something inside of your bellhousing.

Installation of the clutch was straight forward and there is not too much else to say about it.

After installing the clutch I immediately tried the clutch pedal. I had mistakenly believed that I should expect a clutch pedal that was not any harder than stock. This of course is not true. What is true though is the absence of my clutch-pedal-assist spring (it had snapped in half a month or so before) was making the clutch harder to depress. For whatever reason, not having a clutch-pedal-assist spring did not make much of a difference (not one that I noticed anyway) when using the stock clutch but it does make a difference when using this particular aftermarket clutch. If installing a Stage 3 Monster clutch, I highly recommend at least trying the stock C6 clutch-pedal-assist spring.

With the clutch-pedal-assist spring installed onto my clutch pedal, the engagement and disengagement of the Stage 3 Monster Clutch feels great.

It was a few days later that I had a chance to drive the car and try the clutch. What immediately surprised me was how complacent the clutch was. I was anticipating a completely different clutch action after replacing the stock clutch and the Stage 3 clutch did not do that. My left foot was greeted by an experience that was close enough to the stock experience that I was immediately pleased. The clutch action was a tad harder than stock but it was harder in way that actually felt (to me at least) more inline with how a clutch in a higher-powered car should feel. Not too hard, not too soft (i.e. the clutch that Goldilocks would want), with just the right amount of feedback and pressure to give you confidence that the clutch is up to the task of holding power.

Chattering. I had read enough reviews of aftermarket-clutch experiences that I was fully expecting my teeth to become loose during the first few weeks of driving. The majority (99.9%) of my driving is done in city in stop-and-go traffic. My driving needs are probably not conducive of a positive experience with a performance clutch yet the Stage 3 Monster clutch has achieved exactly that. The Stage 3 Monster Clutch provides an enjoyable experience during my daily commute where I believe the DIC reports my average speed as something like 15 MPH. Stop and go traffic? The Stage 3 Monster clutch gobbles (excuse the pun) it up.

Slipping. Various reviews of assorted clutches (especially the higher-power-holding ones) report a lack, or near inability to slip the clutch. Comments such as “an on or off switch” are reasonably common. The Stage 3 Monster Clutch is very “slip friendly” and if I had to quantify how much so, I might even say it can be slipped more than the stock clutch.

I have not yet had a chance to put the clutch through solid and repeated workouts (look for a part II to this review), as the clutch and the other modifications to the car are still being broken in.

A quick word about Steve, the/an owner of Monster clutches. I talked to Steve a number of times on the phone and although I could tell he was super busy he always took to the time to discuss and answer all of my questions. Steve is the type of guy that you invite when you and your friends are getting together for a weekend BBQ.

One last item. In the latest beta release of HP Tuners, the ability to change the Throttle Ramp Rate has been added. For some GM vehicles this Throttle Ramp Rates are set to 100% by default. For my particular vehicle (2005 Corvette with an E40) the ramp rates were set very conservatively and I have since set them to 100%. Before the ramp rate was adjusted I needed to release the clutch from 1500+ RPM or the clutch would chatter. After changing the throttle ramp rate I can release the clutch from < 1500 RPM without chatter.

If anyone has any questions regarding my experiences with a Stage 3 Monster Clutch, please ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Jackson
Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great review, thanks for posting!

Will you be able to test it at a drag strip?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Thanks for following through on the review, Jackson. You've certainly had your share of wrenching lately, and your opinion's are from actual experience, which is very helpful to us, and I'm sure Monster who are making a big effort to the Corvette community....unlike many other manufacturers. A few questions for either you or Steve/Mike:

Did the kit come balanced? If not, did you have the assembly balanced before installing?

For Monster:

Can someone please post up configuration weights somewhere? I know you post the difference in flywheel weights, but we would like to know total assembly weight.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Tblade
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn you!!!! It looks like another mod coming up on my list!
Great review, thanks for taking your time to share it with us!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
wooden
Racer

thanks for the review, just recieved mine still need to get it installed.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:05 AM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Great review, thanks for posting!

Will you be able to test it at a drag strip?
If not a drag strip at the very least a number of good hard launches leveraging your technique.

There is a drag strip not too far from here and TBlade has been asking for a while now that we go!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 AM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Thanks for following through on the review, Jackson. You've certainly had your share of wrenching lately, and your opinion's are from actual experience, which is very helpful to us, and I'm sure Monster who are making a big effort to the Corvette community....unlike many other manufacturers. A few questions for either you or Steve/Mike:

Did the kit come balanced? If not, did you have the assembly balanced before installing?

For Monster:

Can someone please post up configuration weights somewhere? I know you post the difference in flywheel weights, but we would like to know total assembly weight.
The clutch came in such a way that it was all one unit (zap straps I think?) and I made sure that the clutch was installed in the same orientation as it was when it arrived. It wasn't until I was well underway that I even realized the clutch might not be balanced.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

After experiencing the problems of an unbalanced clutch install in other cars, I learned how important it is. I am surprised that any clutch company selling a complete kit WOULDN'T have it pre-balanced...or at the very least offer it as an add on to save you the problems of finding a local speed shop that can do it right.

I don't necessarily endorse or dislike any of RAMs products (dont know anyone personally who has used them), but they do have some very good information on their site that anyone looking for a clutch should read.
An excerpt from their "Clutch University" section

Flywheel balance is critical for maximum power output and engine durability.

The second big issue with your flywheel is balance. Approximately one out of twenty flywheels we produce balances out to our specification of 1/2 ounce inch maximum imbalance with no balance drilling required. The other nineteen are going to have drilled areas to bring them into balance.

So, if 95% of all flywheels require the balance drilling (See photo), the odds are pretty good that whatever flywheel you purchase should have some drilling. Take a look at the flywheel you are buying. Few competitors have the capability to balance to the 1/2 ounce inch specification and some of them don't even manufacture their own flywheels or have any in house balancing capability. One manufacturer is honest enough to state their flywheels are 'rough balanced' (Which means not balanced) and it is your responsibility solve that problem. Strangely, these are the highest priced flywheels on the market.

The balance situation gets more interesting when the flywheel must be balanced to an external balance specification. External balancing requires putting a specified ounce inch imbalance within a one-degree radial on the flywheel. This is nearly an impossible task without some pretty sophisticated and expensive balancing equipment. We can show you our balancing equipment. Most others can't.

If your flywheel manufacturer or non-manufacturer supplier does not have the precision machine tools, precision grinding, precision balancing, and complete control of the manufacturing process in house, why would you consider purchasing their product?

When Spin had his LS7 clutch and Fidanza balance at SK Speed (a local shop on LI that has probably the best shop services in NY) they found the stock GM parts were the worst balanced they'd ever seen.

Monster certainly seems to be aggressively trying to enter the LS world giving a good product at fair prices coupled with excellent customer service. What I would like to see, which I think would truly set them apart, is more detailed specs (such as weights and balance...all my posts and even telephone requests for this information have been unanswered) and the ability to get things like guaranteed factory balance, even if it were at an extra cost. If someone wants to take a chance of driveline vibration when installing a new clutch to save few bucks (I dont know why you would, but to each their own), then so be it....but you should be told right up front if what you are purchasing is or is not balanced, and the issues that might arise if you do not....you should not have to guess or wonder.

After knowing what I do, even if the products I bought were advertised as balanced, I would run them to a good shop just to check....it's cheap insurance....and pulling that torque tube just plain sucks.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
0Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Former Vendor

Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tblade
Damn you!!!! It looks like another mod coming up on my list!
Great review, thanks for taking your time to share it with us!
Hey when ever you are ready Eastcoast Performance & Corvette will hook you up with all the best componets for your MONSTER Install, we take care of all the Corvette Forum Memebers, you guys get the best product for the best cars, RIGHT
Originally Posted by wooden
thanks for the review, just recieved mine still need to get it installed.
RD is that you, hope to see all you pics of your new hot rod very soon.

Thanks alot guys for all the support you hace given to ECP and myself.
The Corvette forum members are the best, no questions.

Call me with any question that you may have with anything on your vettes.

Mike Yeager
Eastcoast Performance & Corvette
1-864-404-1776
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
wooden
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Hey when ever you are ready Eastcoast Performance & Corvette will hook you up with all the best componets for your MONSTER Install, we take care of all the Corvette Forum Memebers, you guys get the best product for the best cars, RIGHT

RD is that you, hope to see all you pics of your new hot rod very soon.

Thanks alot guys for all the support you hace given to ECP and myself.
The Corvette forum members are the best, no questions.

Call me with any question that you may have with anything on your vettes.

Mike Yeager
Eastcoast Performance & Corvette

1-864-404-1776

Yes , thats me Mike, I got the clutch and diff, installed. getting started on the supercharger now.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutch
We are not missing that at all, all of our assemblies are balanced to within 13 grams (factory spec). You absolutely have to have the clutch assembly balanced on a LS motor.

I will tell you that we are currently waiting on a balancing machine to come in so we can do it all in house, right now we are using a machine shop to do this for us, we just prefer to keep it in house when possible.

For Monster:

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutch

Here's your weights guys, keep in mind this is an old shipping scale, these are approximations.

LS7
  • Pressure Plate - 24lbs
  • Disc - 7lbs
  • Flywheel - 26lbs
  • Total - 57lbs

LS1/2/6
  • Pressure Plate - 21lbs
  • Disc - 5.5lbs
  • Flywheel - 23.5lbs
  • Total - 50lbs

Monster Clutch Parts
  • H.D. and Extreme Pressure Plates - 23lbs
  • Level 1 & 1.5 disc - 4lbs
  • Level 2 & 2.5 disc - 5lbs
  • Level 3 & 5 disc - 4lbs
  • Level 3.5 & 5.5 disc - 7lbs
  • Level 4 & 6 disc - 4.5lbs
  • Level 4.5 & 6.5 disc - 7lbs
  • Billet Steel flywheel - 28lbs
  • Chromoly flywheel - 15lbs

Hope this helps!

Doing the math, our Level 3 setup with a billet flywheel will weigh approx. 55lbs, that's roughly 5 lbs more than a stock setup and a couple of pounds less than the LS7, that same setup in a chromoly flywheel weighs in at approx. 42lbs.
Look forward to my review of the Stage 2.5 soon
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (05-30-2017)
Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone have the install instructions for the monster clutch?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

My unit did not come with instructions, but when removing the stock clutch you can see how the clutch is to be installed.

If you can get a copy of a GM Service Manual, I suspect you could follow the instructions in there on how to install a clutch?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just needed to know the dowel pin configuration... I was sent 2 sets. I found the instructions and I was able to install it correctly.

that was it.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 AM
Chaplain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
If not a drag strip at the very least a number of good hard launches leveraging your technique.

There is a drag strip not too far from here and TBlade has been asking for a while now that we go!
Any updates? How's it been after a couple of years?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 PM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I just added a stage one Monster. I don't have a lot of power but I'm not impressed with this up to this point. My stocker had 27K miles and I was only bothered a little with the TO Bearing instability at times.

28LB Steel FW plus the bleeders. Only has about 500 easy miles on it now. Hope it smells better after a couple / few thousand of day to day driving..

I bet the stage 3 is substantially nicer / different league?

Last edited by gsx1300r; 12-23-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part I

Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 PM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

The clutch is actually not in the car anymore. I had a pilot bearing issue (this car and I have had our share of ordeals! :-) and when everything was pulled apart, the clutch was almost completely done. I am not sure what caused the super-fast wear. The majority of my driving is stop-and-go traffic, so perhaps that had something to do with it?

The car now has a ZR1 clutch. :-)
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
The clutch is actually not in the car anymore. I had a pilot bearing issue (this car and I have had our share of ordeals! :-) and when everything was pulled apart, the clutch was almost completely done. I am not sure what caused the super-fast wear. The majority of my driving is stop-and-go traffic, so perhaps that had something to do with it?

The car now has a ZR1 clutch. :-)
Oh my have you had your trials with that car! You are either the most loyal person I know or a glutton for punishment! You do stick with it though.

How's the zr1 clutch?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Some of the car woes have been my fault, some of the car woes have been the car's fault, but all of it has been a great opportunity to learn and meet new people! :-)

I am really, really happy with the ZR1 clutch. Unless a person required a clutch that could hold more power than the ZR1 clutch, it would be hard for me to imagine why a person would buy any other clutch.

Quick Reply: Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part I