C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generator/sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
XZB
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generator/sound

My generator sounds bad when I stop the engine it is not heard when running the engine. It sounds as if it is a stock that is not fat/oil. Does anyone have the same problem ?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car doesn't have a "generator"

My ALTERNATOR also doesn't make any sounds when it is stopped... Nothing on my car makes a sound when it is stopped
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Powerlabs. Also, I haven't heard a peep from my vette for over 5 months. Waiting for the snow to melt and the rocks/sand/gravel to clear from the driving lanes. Perhaps next week the roads will clear and I can report back on just how good or bad my alternator sounds. However, I am constantly reminded by my wife of just how deaf I am so regardless of its operation I will probably find it to be operating quiet.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by XZB
My generator sounds bad when I stop the engine it is not heard when running the engine. It sounds as if it is a stock that is not fat/oil. Does anyone have the same problem ?
I think I speak on behalf of most of us here.......WHAT?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYC6
I think I speak on behalf of most of us here.......WHAT?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

He's likely in Australia or Europe. Many places I've been outside of the US refer to our "alternator" as a generator. Ala' boot vs. trunk, hood vs. bonnet.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
He's likely in Australia or Europe. Many places I've been outside of the US refer to our "alternator" as a generator. Ala' boot vs. trunk, hood vs. bonnet.
Do they have Fat/Oil in their Generators there too?

I grew up in Europe... Don't recall ever hearing an alternator being called a generator there btw . Generators are DC producing devices and the alternator is an AC device, thus the integrated rectifier...
Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Maybe you can translate. What the hell does " stock that is not Fat/oil " mean?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Do they have Fat/Oil in their Generators there too?

I grew up in Europe... Don't recall ever hearing an alternator being called a generator there btw .
Good for you. How much time "growing up" here did you spend under the bonnet of a car, with/amongst other locals?

I live in England, and have for some time. I spend a lot of time in garages and hanging out at shops wrenching and bs'ing with friends here. On more than one occasion, I've heard the alternator referred to as such.

And I'm well aware of the difference between AC and DC. On a similar note, that differentiation doesn't stop countless Americans from talking about what 'motor' they've got in their vehicle. You're a smart fellow, you know what I'm getting at with that. Speaking of 'motor', it's what you're likely to hear when someone here compliments your car... "Thats a nice motor you've got", regardless of whats under the hood, or bonnet.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Good for you. How much time "growing up" here did you spend under the bonnet of a car, with/amongst other locals?

I live in England, and have for some time. I spend a lot of time in garages and hanging out at shops wrenching and bs'ing with friends here. On more than one occasion, I've heard the alternator referred to as such.

And I'm well aware of the difference between AC and DC. On a similar note, that differentiation doesn't stop countless Americans from talking about what 'motor' they've got in their vehicle. You're a smart fellow, you know what I'm getting at with that. Speaking of 'motor', it's what you're likely to hear when someone here compliments your car... "Thats a nice motor you've got", regardless of whats under the hood, or bonnet.

Yes, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that:

mo⋅tor   /ˈmoʊtər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [moh-ter]
–noun 1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

From Dictionary.com
Old 04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
XZB
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I come from Sweden and writes my questions through a translate program in my computer, so this could be wrong with those technical issues. But I can write the question in Swedish so you can answer me in a translate program which you can find on www.googletranslate.com

När jag stoppar min motor så låter det illa i min generator ( som det heter på svenska ) i ca 2 sekunder efter att motorn stannat. Det låter som ett kullager i generatorn är utan fett/olja har någon detta problem
Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

No one here intended to offend you. In fact your English is better than alot of the posts on this website.

Im sure someone here will be able to help you with your questions if you could explain them just a little better.

Welcome.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by XZB
När jag stoppar min motor så låter det illa i min generator ( som det heter på svenska ) i ca 2 sekunder efter att motorn stannat. Det låter som ett kullager i generatorn är utan fett/olja har någon detta problem
=
Approximately 2 seconds after I stop my engine my alternator sounds bad; It sounds like its bearings have no oil. Does anyone else have this problem?

Answer:

De bär i generatorn är en icke fungerande post och bör inte medföra några störningar, speciellt efter att det har stoppats. Är du säker på att det är där bullret kommer från? Jag har aldrig hört talas om någon med generatorn i en C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Generator/sound

Quick Reply: Generator/sound