C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I had numerous errors and messages. I secured the wiring harnesses to a near by harness with a tie wrap and have not had any issues since.

Name:  CIMG1113.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  2.57 MB

BC
Old 01-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Justin11b11m
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 Z51 1LT is going to the dealership tomorrow for the same reason, AGAIN. 29,800 miles on the ticker. Luckily, no braking issues, just an annoying message. I'll be reporting this as well. Seems that folks who spend $50,000+ on a nice top of the line sports car should have opinions that matter to GM and GM should be taking DRASTIC measures to fix this, but apparently not yet. I too, urge everyone to submit this issue to FOX news and hopefully something will get done about it.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Hollywood57
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feeling' Blue05
Hey guys,

I sure am glad I came back to the Corvetteforum. I used to have a 95 Vette(sold) and since July now have a 2005 Z51.

Last Thursday I got a Service active handling message while crossing over a railroad track at 5 MPH. I pulled over and restarted the car, error message cleared. I thought maybe that just crossing such a bumpy track had caused it and thought no more about it.

The next morning driving to work on the highway my car suddenly slowed, kicking off the cruise control. The Active handling message came on and quickly went off. I didn't notice if the brakes came on or not. Lucky for me I had read this thread. I soon slowed and put both hands on the wheel. I moved over to the right lane to exit the highway. I slowed through 55 MPH that is when the right front brake applied for about half a second, scaring the crap outta me and pulling me over into the exit lane. Luckily, nobody was on my right.

I got the car serviced today and told them about the connector TSB. They found the steering position sensor bad and that was all. I'm still wary that the problem is fixed and may have to take a look at that connector myself.

Car is a 2005 Z51 with the telescopic steering.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Also, i did file a complaint.

Darrell
Darrell,

It is amazing that you and most all the others that have gone threw this have come out unharmed and without damage. The odds of this must be stacking up against us. I saw a beautiful black vette on the back of a flatbed wrecker with the back quarter panel ripped off and wondered if he wasn't the victim of this irresponsible flaw.

I would like to know if your steering wheel was extended all the way out? And that goes for all the others as well. It is possible that the stress on this harness and connector will be greatest when the wheel is fully extended out.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood57
Darrell,

It is amazing that you and most all the others that have gone threw this have come out unharmed and without damage. The odds of this must be stacking up against us. I saw a beautiful black vette on the back of a flatbed wrecker with the back quarter panel ripped off and wondered if he wasn't the victim of this irresponsible flaw.

I would like to know if your steering wheel was extended all the way out? And that goes for all the others as well. It is possible that the stress on this harness and connector will be greatest when the wheel is fully extended out.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin11b11m
My '07 Z51 1LT is going to the dealership tomorrow for the same reason, AGAIN. 29,800 miles on the ticker. Luckily, no braking issues, just an annoying message. I'll be reporting this as well. Seems that folks who spend $50,000+ on a nice top of the line sports car should have opinions that matter to GM and GM should be taking DRASTIC measures to fix this, but apparently not yet. I too, urge everyone to submit this issue to FOX news and hopefully something will get done about it.
There are 3 separate issues in this thread:

First, is a failure of the Active Handling system that is detected by the system. If you are getting the Service Message you will not have any braking issues. When the Service Active Handling message appears on the DIC the Active Handling has already been disabled by the EBCM. This means you don't have to worry about it activating while you are driving down a straight highway. It is a problem but not a life threatening problem.

Second, is a failure of the Active Handling System that isn't detected by the system. This is when there are no Service Messages and somebody experiences an unneeded activation of the Active Handling system. This can be a serious problem and could result in a serious accident.

Third, is when the Active Handling System is working as it should. There are a certain number of people who absolutely refuse to understand how the system works and complain when it actually has saved their A$$. They see the Active Handling message on the DIC and freak out and write on this forum how it was fighting them when the real problem was they don't know how to drive.

Your issue is totally different than the unneeded activation of the system and does not require Drastic measures to address the problem. They already have diagnostics and procedures in place to make sure it doesn't cause a safety problem and to repair the system.

When you separate out the real problem how prevalent is it? Then what can be done about it. An extensive failure effects analysis may or not show where the problem or problems could occur that would make this scenario happen. Comments from threads like this can be next to useless as it is hard to separate the real problem from non-existent problems and the BS.

Driving up the intensity level and trying to get NHTSA involved often backfires as you get a poor solution similar to the Audi unexpected acceleration problem which now affects every automatic transmission car in the world or the solution to the C5 column lock problem. NHTSAs involvement usually brings about a quick solution that works but doesn't bring about a correct solution to the problem.

Bill
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

I believe there have been 2 TSB's...both involve attempts to tighten up the electrical connection under the dash. The first was adding the wire tie. The second is to add a spacer within the connection to force the pins together. Don't know what this "spacer" is called, but it looks like a mini 70's afro comb. Costs about $10 at the dealer and is installable by yourself...although it's hard on your back!! I had to remove the wire tie to install the spacer . We had no issues for 9600 miles then had 2 Service Active Handling alerts in the DIC within 10 miles of each other. None since installing the "spacer".

I have the spacer PN in the papers for the car...email me if needed.

Bob
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

First, is a failure of the Active Handling system that is detected by the system. If you are getting the Service Message you will not have any braking issues. When the Service Active Handling message appears on the DIC the Active Handling has already been disabled by the EBCM. This means you don't have to worry about it activating while you are driving down a straight highway. It is a problem but not a life threatening problem.

Second, is a failure of the Active Handling System that isn't detected by the system. This is when there are no Service Messages and somebody experiences an unneeded activation of the Active Handling system. This can be a serious problem and could result in a serious accident.

Third, is when the Active Handling System is working as it should. There are a certain number of people who absolutely refuse to understand how the system works and complain when it actually has saved their A$$. They see the Active Handling message on the DIC and freak out and write on this forum how it was fighting them when the real problem was they don't know how to drive.

Your issue is totally different than the unneeded activation of the system and does not require Drastic measures to address the problem. They already have diagnostics and procedures in place to make sure it doesn't cause a safety problem and to repair the system.

When you separate out the real problem how prevalent is it? Then what can be done about it. An extensive failure effects analysis may or not show where the problem or problems could occur that would make this scenario happen. Comments from threads like this can be next to useless as it is hard to separate the real problem from non-existent problems and the BS.

Driving up the intensity level and trying to get NHTSA involved often backfires as you get a poor solution similar to the Audi unexpected acceleration problem which now affects every automatic transmission car in the world or the solution to the C5 column lock problem. NHTSAs involvement usually brings about a quick solution that works but doesn't bring about a correct solution to the problem.

Bill

I wonder what percentage of Vettes have any real problems?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NoisC6
I believe there have been 2 TSB's...both involve attempts to tighten up the electrical connection under the dash. The first was adding the wire tie. The second is to add a spacer within the connection to force the pins together. Don't know what this "spacer" is called, but it looks like a mini 70's afro comb. Costs about $10 at the dealer and is installable by yourself...although it's hard on your back!! I had to remove the wire tie to install the spacer . We had no issues for 9600 miles then had 2 Service Active Handling alerts in the DIC within 10 miles of each other. None since installing the "spacer".

I have the spacer PN in the papers for the car...email me if needed.

Bob
Bob

My 06 Coupe has this very issue. Any adjustment of the steering column will trigger the codes and messages.

It had the red comb installed by the dealer and that helped fo a while.

I got pissed and did some self investigation. This is what the sensor and connector with improved "RED COMB" looks like:

Name:  CIMG1114.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  2.34 MB

Name:  CIMG1113.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  2.57 MB

The dealer did not reinstall the tiewrap. So,,,,I pulled as much slack into the cable as i could and then tie wrapped the harnesses so there was support for the SWPS sensor cable.

I have not had an issue for quite some time. Even with extending and retracting the column.

BC
Old 01-30-2010, 05:46 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

Thanks Bill...so there is now an "improved" red comb?? That's swell.

Do you have the GM Part number or info on how to obtain one??

This is wife's car and she's driven it 5-10 times since I added the comb. The steering wheel cycles in and out every time she enters or leaves the car. So far no reoccurance of the problem.

But I'd like the info on the "improved" comb to be ready if it does reoccur.

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM
luckycharmer03
Heel & Toe

my "service active handling" light just came on...so what exactly should we do? if the clip isn't a permanent fix?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:08 AM
NVL_AV8R
Advanced

Default TSB Comb Fix Do-it-yourself

This is from an older post. Follow these directions and you can fix your SAH issues yourself. I have had NO issues since doing this mod myself. Ensure there is enough "SLACK" on the connector.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by NVL_AV8R
Hello all,

I took the liberty of photo documenting the procedure on how to install the TSB 06-02-35-002B GM Service Bulletin Fix. I did it on my 2006 Z06 tonight.

http://photobucket.com/NVL_AV8R

Run the slide show on slow and it should tell you everything you need to know to install the part and or test your SWPS connector yourself. If there is a loose pin or bad connection to the pins, it should fail on you when the ignition is turned on (engine off). Turn the ignition off and it will reset. Turn ignition on again (engine off) and test again...if it fails, then the problem is beyond this service bulletin and the harness, and or SWPS. Without the Schematics, I cannot tell where the other connectors in the chain are. Maybe downstream the harness to the computer, there might be another connector for those who are still having issues or the pins are bent or broken in the SWPS connector itself.

NOTE: For those that are not comfortable with electronics, disconnect the battery first. I did not but had the ignition OFF. No ACC with the radio playing either.

If it fails again, I would not drive it until it is fixed by the dealer. Don't hold me liable if this fix does work for you, you still get the "SAH" message, and you drive it and crash. I'm only trying to help, but I can't help stupid.

Hope this helps a little and gives some piece of mind until they come up with a legitimate fix (like a totally new connector.)

Very Respectfully

Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Feelin' Blue05
Advanced

Hey Guys,

It's been three weeks now since the replacement of my Steering Wheel Position Sensor. No problems or SAH messages. I did notice on my invoice that a "New Clip" was installed. So I got curious and looked up under the Dash. Sure enough the red piece(comb) was installed into the connector. Hopefully, I won't see any more problems the system.

I was contacted by Mr. Stephen McHenry for more information.

By the way, Hollywood57, the telescopic wheel was all the way out. I never move it. Only up and down.

Darrell
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
ijduncan@gmail.com
Cruising

I have had the same Service Stability control warning issues in my 2005 c6 with telescoping steering.

In October last year they found CTC C0710 Steering wheel angle sensor erratic and installed clip into connector. this was $90
They also replaced a module under the seat that had failed due to pinched wiring a year before that.

Recently this has been happening again. However In addition to the frequent Service active Handling Message I have several other issues that coincide with this.

1. Sometimes my passenger mirror will turn all the way up toward the sky when I turn the engine off.

2. Sometime the push button start will not activate the engine and the brake pedal gets squishy. I have to open and close the door a few times.

3. Often the car says no fob detected even when the passive unlock allowed me inside.

4. Now today the oil pressure shows 129psi (prompted me to write this and discover this post) I am thinking a oil pressure sensor is malfunctioning or something.

I heard that the computers on the vette are very sensitive to voltage and should have at least 12.5 volts and 500 CCA Tested. The dealer inspected the car last october and the battery was checked off as being fine.

there are certainly plenty of people out there with electrical problems. I just with I could get them all fixed.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 AM
SpeedDemonBB
Intermediate

wow. im really glad i stumbled upon this thread. two days ago i was on a curve about to enter the highway going around 35mph when all of a sudden my car started skidding and i was forced left without any control what so ever and ended up on the curb hitting a street sign and damaged my vette over $6500 dollars. before reading this i felt very uncomfortable as it was completely dry outside but i lost control as if i was hydroplanning. i felt that something like this could had happened going faster had i not been so lucky. i found myself trying to find reasons as to why this would happen out of nowhere without driving out of the ordinary. anyways for the past year my service traction control light has been coming on out of nowhere but until now i didnt know what it was on for and that it could cause this. i have an 05 vette with the selective ride control. i will be reporting this asap before any work starts on my vehicle. it is currently with chevy.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 AM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

I've had this happen in my '08 too...well, I THINK it was this...
Trying to accelerate on the interstate, my SAH and traction active warnings came on and the car felt like the brakes were dragging. I pushed TC off to try and reset it and the rear of the car kicked out enough that I had to counter steer to hold it in my lane...in traffic, at about 75-80 mph.

Is this the same issue, or am I looking for something different. This has happened twice in the last 6 months. I took it to the dealer, and they couldn't find any issue.

Think I should suggest to the dealer they perform the TSB that's associated with the earlier model years?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

My wife's 05 vert started with the SAH on slow right turns about a week ago. She just told me about it...Off to the dealer to document this issue and hopefully get it resolved...
Thanks to all who participate in these threads!!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 PM
SpeedDemonBB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mopar-Mike
The other day my shop saide their technition said the problem was a bad guage cluster (about a $1500 replacement item) and onc ethatvw was done he could put in the codes for all the bolt-ons and get it ready for the dyno. I hope this id the latst step, as I have already spent almost $18k, plus $19k for the payoff. I would have never done it, but it was my son's pride and joy and he was killed in a motorcycle accident on June 15, 2009. It has alot of sentiment to me, plus it was very quick for a midly modified Z06.

I'M SURE WHEM EVERYTHING IS RUNNING LIKE IT ID SUPPOSTED TO BE, HOPEFULY i'LL ENJOY DRIVING IT LIKE IT IS SUPPOSTED TO BE, AND THEN iI'LL BE ABLE TO ENJOY IT AND START MODIFIING IT LIKE "dAD" WOULD LIKE IT TO BE.

mOPARMIKE (AKA DADMOD)
im very sorry if this arises a sensitive issue but i went to school with ur son. like me his vette was his pride and joy. we always loved cars and speed. i last saw him at a car meet and told him i drove an 05 vette and he told me about his black z06. truely a beautiful car!! i was only friends with him in school but he was a great kid. in all respect to you and your family RIP chad. it makes me feel right that you did that for his pride and joy as i would hope my father would mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
SpeedDemonBB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
i think maybe you're not realizing that all three problems can be easily linked. easily. and any average driver that has an average amount of mechanical knowledge will react the same way. something pops up saying there's a problem with a feature of their vehicle and then an issue/accident occurs due to the same parts of the vehicle that this feature helps to control under certain conditions. now with that in mind also see that the computer system in the vette is capable of ALOT and is def capable of being able to detect an issue. now true.. the traction controlling system should be disabled when the msg appears but we're talking about something electrical which completely changes the possibilities.. one thing wrong with the electrical system can easily cause things to run incorrectly it happens all the time bro. i've worked with the best mechanics that have the years of experience and ASE knowledge behind them that they could probably outsmart GOD when it comes to the way cars work. and out of all of them.. i promise that not one of them can understand certain cases of an electrical issue of some kind. sometimes it's just hard to understand it and honestly while they might have fixed an issue they can only guess what it was that they did to fix it. believe me ive seen it. so is it not possible that a shift in the wiring harness allows for the possiblity for there to be codes thrown and for problems to occur. sometimes there are even instances where your vehicle has a failure of a component that will not allow it to detect issues happening. i can imagine moving the wiring harness around could cause a failure like brakes dragging while the service light was on because it causes electrical issues and cant be explained sometimes. now in my case it was off. but i know how to drive and i cant say i know more than everyone else out there but i have a good idea as to how cars work and what can cause problems or accidents. ive sold insurance, ive been in car wrecks, and i work at a shop. and im honestly saying that what happened to everyone else on here including myself is a big problem. i swear i told the passenger that my tire blew out because i lost control driving completely normal in perfect conditions. yet lost complete control of the vehicle.. my car pulled left because the left side brakes pretty much seized up in attempt to sense and correct a major difference in speed between my wheels only there was none. now i love GM and think that the corvette is one of the best vehicles to own in the world, and even tho it crushes me to say it. i have to be honest and say there is a def possibility that something isnt right. i've already had wiring harness issues with these cars and it really makes them run out of whack and starts telling you to service every thing that has a sensor on it.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:36 AM
NVL_AV8R
Advanced

Default SWPS causes the majority of the SAH errors.

I just returned from deployment and I cannot believe this issues still has not been properly address by either Chevrolet or the NTSB. I guess someone (or many) has/have to die in a horrifying, highly publicized death before anything gets done. Toyota has recalled all their 2010 Prius and doing damage control NON-STOP with infomercials on the TV, kissing the consumers' *** and swearing that they are "dedicated" to fixing the problems and earning back the respect and trust of the public.

Bottom line, in my opinion, (having an avionics background) the main cause of the problem is the connector to the SWPS. Chevy is on to it, that is why they made the comb fix. Problem is that if the connector is worn out AND still moving or being tugged on by a tight harness (mine was very tight before I loosened it) then it will still create an "OPEN CIRCUIT" which brings up the error. Don't believe me? Unplug the SWPS and you will get the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING Error immediately with power applied to the ignition on, (engine off).

Think about it. Breaks self applying in turns or the computer THINKING the car is in a turn and thus applying the WRONG inputs MEANS it has to do with a failure of sensing what the command the driver has INPUT to the computer. There are only 3 inputs a driver can apply...Throttle, Breaking, AND STEERING. An error to the SWPS would cause this. IE an OPEN CIRCUIT AT THAT CONNECTOR.

For those that are willing to do the self fix and save the money (Chevy will not just install the fix UNLESS the computer shows the error) use some di-electric grease (just enough to ensure a good connection...too much will cause a short) in the connector before installing the comb and MAKE sure that damn harness has SLACK in it so it will not tug on the connector when the steering wheels moves in and out.

All that being said, I think that this is the fix for the MAJORITY of vettes experiencing this problem as most drivers (according to this thread) no longer have issues after the comb fix is applied and the harness loosened.

There will always be that small percentage on the outside of the bell-shaped curve that will continue to have issues regardless of this fix. That means those people have problems OTHER than the SWPS and maybe another open circuit somewhere else in the chain that controls the Active Handling.

Remember. Where there is connector (and all cars...and all consumer goods for that matter have many...look inside your home PC) there is potential for failure, ESPECIALLY if there is tension and movement associated with that connector (friction wears out the metal). The only way to completely eliminate the issues it to hard wire the car completely (solder) which is not practical and still can cause issues if the soldering is poor (cold solder joint. FYI the "bigger the blob, better the job" is bull**** from people who do not know how to solder).

This is obviously my opinion and I do not claim to know with absolute certainty that the SWPS is the issues, but simple deduction and the results from people on this thread that have PROPERLY applied the fix (including myself) leads me to this conclusion.

I just hope this helps and saves lives, because eventually luck will run out and someone WILL get killed. It is just a matter of time.

Bottom line. If you car is showing the "Service Active Handling" error. DON'T DRIVE IT UNTIL IT IS FIXED PROPERLY.

Good luck

Last edited by NVL_AV8R; 02-15-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

Just got our car back from the dealer....The SWPS was faulty and replaced under warranty. I hope this is the end of it for us...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action