C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What performance to expect? LS2+Header+Intake+Exhaust+Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
cuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What performance to expect? LS2+Header+Intake+Exhaust+Dyno Tune

I purchased headers (LG Streets) but have not put on yet. While I am under the car, maybe should replace exhaust too. I like the idea of the cutout solution (BillyBoat or QTP). The intake would be Vararam. Wondering how far I should go. Daily driver. Not a drag car. Want to improve sound and driving satisfaction without breaking the bank. How much will I spend in the above package and what results should I expect? I do would not do much more than this - bolt on stuff.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuss
I purchased headers (LG Streets) but have not put on yet. While I am under the car, maybe should replace exhaust too. I like the idea of the cutout solution (BillyBoat or QTP). The intake would be Vararam. Wondering how far I should go. Daily driver. Not a drag car. Want to improve sound and driving satisfaction without breaking the bank. How much will I spend in the above package and what results should I expect? I do would not do much more than this - bolt on stuff.
Maryland Speed has great package specials for Kooks and Vararam, but since you already have the LG Street series, you will need to separately buy the other itmes. The cat-back is mostly for sound and looks, as they are not restrictive. Depending on gas, and other conditions, a full exhaust, CAI, and tune LS2 MN6 puts out about 375-380 RWHP SAE with similar TQ numbers. I am not a fan of cut-outs. Add a FAST 92, ported, along with a ported TB, and you should approach or get very close to the 400 RWHP SAE mark.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Like the disclaimer in the commercial says "results may vary". I have an 05 A-4 with LG Pros, Npp exhaust,Vararam, SpinFast Intake, a conservative tune and 342 gears. The car was recently dynoed at Vette doctors at 401.9 RWHP and 398 RWT. I really have no point of reference because I have no before dynos but the performance to me is night and day compared to stock, and it still has great drivability and gets decent gas mileage. My goal was to have a good running street car that I could drive any where.. I'm where i want to be and done with bolt on mods.

I'm probably gonna take heat for this but If i had it to do over I would not go with the Vararam. The performance is there, but the quality of the unit is crap..I also have some serious concerns about getting caught in rain and the possibility of hydrolock issues so I 'm gonna change that in the near future.

Last edited by AeroJim; 06-11-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
cuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by PAUZAO
Maryland Speed has great package specials for Kooks and Vararam, but since you already have the LG Street series, you will need to separately buy the other itmes. The cat-back is mostly for sound and looks, as they are not restrictive. Depending on gas, and other conditions, a full exhaust, CAI, and tune LS2 MN6 puts out about 375-380 RWHP SAE with similar TQ numbers. I am not a fan of cut-outs. Add a FAST 92, ported, along with a ported TB, and you should approach or get very close to the 400 RWHP SAE mark.
Sorry - need some clarification... do you mean the "OEM" exhaust is not restrictive and the catback exhaust is primarily for sound and looks?
What are your concerns or dislikes on the cutout integrated exhausts?
What is a "FAST 92"? - prepackaged chip"
How much are we talking for porting the intake and TB?
More challenging WHAT to do, is HOW MUCH to budget!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM
madmxnj
Racer

I've read alot of complaints about the quality of Vararam. When I step up to the same mods as the OP, I'll be sure to stay away from them.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry - need some clarification... do you mean the "OEM" exhaust is not restrictive and the catback exhaust is primarily for sound and looks?
What are your concerns or dislikes on the cutout integrated exhausts?
What is a "FAST 92"? - prepackaged chip"
How much are we talking for porting the intake and TB?
More challenging WHAT to do, is HOW MUCH to budget!
Sure, I personally would get a Callaway Honker CAI, versus the Vararam. Yes, the OEM catback is not very restrictive. Afetermarker cat-backs will gain very little power, but will improve on the sound of the exhaust, and of course the "looks" of the tips. You will gain most of your power with the long tube headers, and X pipe. There is no point really in going with cut-outs in conjuction with headers, and many fo leak. You need some back pressure as well. The FAST 92 is an intake manifold. With other bolt-ons, they add about 15 - 20 RWHP SAE, but about 25 RWTQ accross the entire curve. You want to get the car custom dyno and street tuned, versus a genertic tune. Porting services range quite a bit, but make sure that you do not get a hacked up job, as it may ruin the intake manifold and TB.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Sorry about the bad scan, but this is my 2006 M6 car with our Pro's, Cold air, and the larger 3" Borla Touring Z06 muffler kit.

There is not a lot to be had in the mufflers, but there are some gains. I would suggest a FAST intake over the cat-back unless your looking for a more aggressive sound as well.

By comparison....same car after the addition of an un-ported FAST intake using the stock LS2 throttle body.

More gains can be had by porting both units, this was just for a back to back comparison. Do take notice of the dramatic change in the torque curve, especially mid range!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 AM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

see sig, but this is an ls3 with z06 manifolds, so your longtubes would be about 10rwhp better.

I think with your mods, you'll be right around 400rwhp with a good tune and you will love your car.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by AeroJim
Like the disclaimer in the commercial says "results may vary". I have an 05 A-4 with LG Pros, Npp exhaust,Vararam, SpinFast Intake, a conservative tune and 342 gears. The car was recently dynoed at Vette doctors at 401.9 RWHP and 398 RWT. I really have no point of reference because I have no before dynos but the performance to me is night and day compared to stock, and it still has great drivability and gets decent gas mileage. My goal was to have a good running street car that I could drive any where.. I'm where i want to be and done with bolt on mods.

I'm probably gonna take heat for this but If i had it to do over I would not go with the Vararam. The performance is there, but the quality of the unit is crap..I also have some serious concerns about getting caught in rain and the possibility of hydrolock issues so I 'm gonna change that in the near future.
Jim's car is an A4 so those numbers are awesome. Was that my tune or did Carmen retune you?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 AM
AeroJim
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Jim's car is an A4 so those numbers are awesome. Was that my tune or did Carmen retune you?
That was your tune my friend!!! All Carmen did was adjust the shift points after the gear install... Many thanks for all the work you've done on the car for me, and the advice you've given along the way. The car runs fantastic. At this stage the only way I could improve it is to go FI. ( just thinking out loud) but not really serious yet.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Sure, you can improve it immensely, you just need better tires to stick that power to the ground...it would feel as big a jump as the gears did.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Fantastic numbers for the mods! I would like to know what the baseline was?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With your headers, intake, tune and stingers I made 367/367 through my A6 on a ridiculously humid day (it was literally pouring down on my car pulling it into the shops dyno). On a better day I think it would hit closer to 375 and I think your car, being an MN6 will hit close to 390.

For ACTUAL performance, you should be able to run 11s with that kind of power once you learn to launch it (you might need better tires).
The following users liked this post:
416yellowz (11-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
AeroJim
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Sure, you can improve it immensely, you just need better tires to stick that power to the ground...it would feel as big a jump as the gears did.
You're right Craig, better tires are next.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 PM
AeroJim
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by NYC6
Fantastic numbers for the mods! I would like to know what the baseline was?
To be honest I never did a base line, because I was never really interested in dyno numbers. I wanted a good running street car and thats what Spinmonster did for me, with his tune and suggested bolt ons.

Get notified of new replies

To What performance to expect? LS2+Header+Intake+Exhaust+Dyno Tune

Quick Reply: What performance to expect? LS2+Header+Intake+Exhaust+Dyno Tune