C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire pressure monitor problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
RAW1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tire pressure monitor problem

I have had an interrmittent "check tire pressure" light/message 2-3 times on the RF tire over the last few months. Tire pressures are always fine, and light/message go away after restart and drive. Today, the message said "service tire monitor", so I thought "good - now I have a hard failure that can be fixed." I checked the tires - all OK - restarted, light message stayed on, but guage indicator showed correct pressures in all tires. Stopped, restarted and light/message have gone away again. I have never had good luck with dealer fixing intermittent problems that I can not force to occur, and I do not want to go in for exploratory surgery, scratching up my vehicle and/or perfect rims. Does anyone know if Mr Goodwrench has any non-invasive diagnostic capability for the TPM? Thanks, Rich
Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Service Information (SI) has "straegy based" diagnosis for the TPM system. It is on-line and is used by the dealer techs. There is a tool that can test the sensors. It is non evasive.

Problems with the TPMS are generally the wheel sensor or the RCDLRM (remote control door lock receiver module).

Sometimes just re-indexing the tire pressure sensors can correct the problem. And it is non evasive.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:34 AM
RAW1
Instructor

Thanks, I'll stop by and talk to them next week. I assume that it will be covered under warrantee.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 PM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the service tire monitor message came on it will store a code in history which should lead to a possible malfunctioned part. ie sensor--hopefully it will be the rf in your case.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I put new tire wheels and sensors on my sweet 2006 Z. Evertything went well until yesterday. All of a sudden tire pressure monitor problem. All XX XX XX XX on Front and rear's

Hopefully if I reset the Sensors it'll clear the error.

I will re-index the sensors again with my tool and then see if the TPM Module resets.

Any issues with the TPMonitor that have been a constant failure. Do they all go bad. (Not the sensors the actual monitor box?)

Thanks ErnieO
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
All of a sudden tire pressure monitor problem. All XX XX XX XX on Front and rear's
That is what happened to me about 1 year ago. I re-indexed the TPS and it has been OK ever since then. I have not clue what caused this anomaly.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 PM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

I put new tire wheels and sensors on my sweet 2006 Z. Evertything went well until yesterday. All of a sudden tire pressure monitor problem. All XX XX XX XX on Front and rear's

I will re-index the sensors again with my tool and then see if the TPM Module resets.

Any issues with the TPMonitor that have been a constant failure. Do they all go bad. (Not the sensors the actual monitor box?)

Thanks ErnieO
did you program the new sensors to the car?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 99FewteRC5
did you program the new sensors to the car?

I programed them when I put them on. Everything worked well for 1 month or so. Then one day on the way to work, tp Module problem.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Well I tried to re-program the TPMS's got the double horn to put the car in learn mode but couldn't get the sensors to register. So I may have a real TPMS module problem. Will let everyone know after I get it to the dealer this week.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Ttt
Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I put new tire wheels and sensors on my sweet 2006 Z. Everything went well until yesterday. All of a sudden tire pressure monitor problem. All XX XX XX XX on Front and rear's

I will re-index the sensors again with my tool and then see if the TPMS Module resets.

Thanks ErnieO
OK I took off the negative battery terminal, let it sit for 15 mins. Put a new battery in the AT10 reset tool, put the car into Learn mode and programed all 4 sensors and the Service TPMS module is gone and all sensors are working great.

Thanks to BEZ06 for his info and PM's that helped get it done.
ErnieO
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Valentin
Advanced

Default AT 10 Reset Tool

OK I took off the negative battery terminal, let it sit for 15 mins. Put a new battery in the AT10 reset tool, put the car into Learn mode and programed all 4 sensors and the Service TPMS module is gone and all sensors are working great.

Thanks to BEZ06 for his info and PM's that helped get it done.
ErnieO
Whre can I get the reset tool and what is the cost.

Thanks,

Valentin
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Valentin
Whre can I get the reset tool and what is the cost.

Thanks,

Valentin
Forum vendor Katech has the Bartec Trackside for $140.

Forum vendor Tire Rack has the ATEQ VT10 for $105:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

But for the best deal I've ever seen on the excellent TIPS tool check out:

http://www.toolsurge.com/prodView.asp?sku=OTC-TIPS003A

Bob
Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
That is what happened to me about 1 year ago. I re-indexed the TPS and it has been OK ever since then. I have not clue what caused this anomaly.
Sorry for binging back older thread. This happened to me last night, i got all tires showing XX and tire service monitor is on.
Do i go to dealer to reset? Car is 07 with oem wheels and tires.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:41 AM
JAISHONPAPY
3rd Gear

Tire pressure monitoring is mandated on all new cars. These systems are fragile and expensive to repair. After the tire stem broke off on my Toyota Tundra I searched the internet for a economical fix.. I was dismayed to find that the tire stem/TPM part for a Tundra costs more than $96. Moreover, the engine computer must be reset to recognized a new sensor, Several Tundra Owners have reported that Toyota Dealers are ill-prepared to do this and may need to dismount all 5 tires (including the spare) to find at the sensor ID information. The repair, parts and labor, can cost nearly $400.
This instructable describes how a repair can be made for less than $15 (depending on what tools and parts you have on hand.
==========================
landmark hotel
deca durabolin

Get notified of new replies

To tire pressure monitor problem

Quick Reply: tire pressure monitor problem