C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Bilstein Sport Shocks. Driving Impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:40 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by CPG1962
Spin,

I am still struggling with wheel spin but having invested 5k$ + into Forgeline wheels so therefore I am eliminating every option before I make the 18" "switch". I have added the 410 differential. I am now looking at grooved Hoosier R6's as an option for the rear. I know during wet roads I must exhibit extreme care but is this not a choice that at least moves me in the "right" direction? I am concerned about handling and wheel spin. I would keep my NT-05's on the front or maybe even switch to R888's after the NT's wear out.
I dont have any experience with the tires you are running. I will say that you can vary the front end alignment to be more agressive but realize it will cost you in tire life. I personally would rather get new run flats for the front more often than have an ugly tire up front with no run flat capabiltiy. I happen to like the way the supercars look. I still have the original tires up front after 14.8k miles of spirited driving so they lasted long. They are done though. I was able to get a bunch of replacement from forum members. So many people change all 4 when they kill the rears leaving quite a bit of meat left on the supercars.

I know the runflats dont apply to you but the point is that you can expect as much from a street tire up front with an agressive alignment as you can from a soft r-compound with a regular alignment. I have never had the front break loose before the back in 2 years.

I dont think you will solve the wheel hop with a R6 on a 19".
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default Another One

Hi Spin,

With due respect I am not concerned with wheel hop as I can adjust out with my Pfadt CO's. I am most concerned with wheel spin/traction . Will the R6 improve traction w/o negatively affecting handling? Should I be concerned the R6's may "harden" over time?

I sincerely appreciate your feedback/lmowledge.

Thanks,
Paul

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I dont have any experience with the tires you are running. I will say that you can vary the front end alignment to be more agressive but realize it will cost you in tire life. I personally would rather get new run flats for the front more often than have an ugly tire up front with no run flat capabiltiy. I happen to like the way the supercars look. I still have the original tires up front after 14.8k miles of spirited driving so they lasted long. They are done though. I was able to get a bunch of replacement from forum members. So many people change all 4 when they kill the rears leaving quite a bit of meat left on the supercars.

I know the runflats dont apply to you but the point is that you can expect as much from a street tire up front with an agressive alignment as you can from a soft r-compound with a regular alignment. I have never had the front break loose before the back in 2 years.

I dont think you will solve the wheel hop with a R6 on a 19".
Old 07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CPG1962
You mentioned wheel hop on your 19's which I have just started noticing with the install of my NT05's! I have Pfadt ADJ. so I will (been wanting to regardless) stiffen them up a bit.
Let us know if that works (I think it will).
Yeah, on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, specially when cold or wet, the wheelhop was BRUTAL. I was probably one good launch away from destroying my rear diff if I didn't swap them out for the 18" wheels/tires combo. I wonder if the Bilsteins would have helped there too. I imagine they would, at least to an extent...

Originally Posted by pmj341
I was there at the airport for 3 weeks training on the Robinson Helicopter.
I loved In-Out burger!!!
I loved driving to Big Bear, it made it nice to get away on weekends.
Sorry you ended up in NJ
I'm sure it won't last too long. If I could get a job anywhere I'd probably be living in Chicago or in Colorado.

Originally Posted by ShowcaseC6
Yeah, I think so. Also saw my physics professor on it too. Did you run into him while filming? Professor Johnson, has British accent.
No, they filmed each segment in a different location... For mine they actually flew a film crew down to North Carolina where I was living at the time...

Quick Reply: Installed Bilstein Sport Shocks. Driving Impressions.