C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley install contradictory instructions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 05:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Default Crank pulley install contradictory instructions

The harmonic balancer on my 2006 Coupe (w/ manual gearbox) suffers from pretty considerable runout, though it isn't hitting anything yet. I am going to replace it and the bolt.

Note that the pulley is NOT loose, like some of those early '05s. It's just worn out.

My question has to do with two discrepancies between the pulley installation instructions in my 2006 Service Manual and the TSB 05-06-01-001A (Feb 8, 2005) for those early '05s:

1. The Service Manual specifically instructs that the balance weights be transferred from the old pulley to the new pulley, but the TSB (somewhat oddly) says NOT to do this on manual transmission vehicles.

2. The Service Manual does not advise use of any threadlocker, but the TSB recommends Locktite 272. The pulley bolt is big (16mm x 2.0 threads) and 272 is very tenacious stuff, so I'd rather not use it if not necessary.

What is standard practice these days on this job? Can anyone tell me what's the 2007 Service Manual recommends? What about the LS3 motors?

Quick Reply: Crank pulley install contradictory instructions