C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of running catless exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Effects of running catless exhaust

I am now running hi-flow cats with LG PRO LT's and Corsa Sport. If I decide to go catless (emissions testing aside), what else do I need to do or consider? eg. Throwing codes, tuning it out, etc. Thanx in advance.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

If you already have high flow cats, chances are the codes for the rear o2's have already been shut off. However I would have the tune checked over for safety.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Thanx for the input, Doug. Your advice and experience is much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Basically nothing. As stated previously, you need to have the rear o2's turned off.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Increased exhaust odor. I have yet to see/smell a catless C6 that didn't suffer from increased exhaust odor when running a no cat exhaust. Lets be honest in realizing that the cats are there to burn off some of the undesirables. Practically speaking though, on the road, who cares...it is all behind you. Idling in the garage might be a different answer though.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Increased exhaust odor. I have yet to see/smell a catless C6 that didn't suffer from increased exhaust odor when running a no cat exhaust. Lets be honest in realizing that the cats are there to burn off some of the undesirables. Practically speaking though, on the road, who cares...it is all behind you. Idling in the garage might be a different answer though.
That is an understatement. I had the offroad x-pipe pipe for 3 years and hated it from day one. I had ECS put hi-flows on. Sound was great, odor was horrific! Never again!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Amric
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should also turn off Cat overtemp (COT) and CAT warm up in the tune.

Neither of these are neccessary, but they are better off than on. COT can pull power for no reason if you have the cats removed.

ETA

I have the CATs removed and love it, but the NPP sound is much much louder now over 3500RPM. Cops can probably hear me a mile away.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Thanx for all the good advice and different perspectives. I hadn't really thought about the smell.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 AM
arctic74vette
Instructor

Smell is relative. My car SMELLS like straight gas. I have a buddy with a cobra with no cats and his car doesnt smell to me. Its really not that bad.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by YLOFEVR
Thanx for all the good advice and different perspectives. I hadn't really thought about the smell.
Probably the best advice to give is for you to find a Vette that is running off-road pipes and take a whiff for yourself...both at idle and follow along behind him.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont know what you guys are smelling.

My car with catless x-pipe smells like stock. If you dont tune it ever, then sure, you'll smell it because the cars run rich from the factory.

If you tune your car properly then 99% of the smell is gone. I haven't EVER had anyone comment about the smell and have actually had people comment that there WASNT a smell after I told them I didn't run cats.

There is no downside to no cats other than emissions testing, if they look.

The up sides are more power and sound.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68

My car with catless x-pipe smells like stock. If you dont tune it ever, then sure, you'll smell it because the cars run rich from the factory.

If you tune your car properly then 99% of the smell is gone. I haven't EVER had anyone comment about the smell and have actually had people comment that there WASNT a smell after I told them I didn't run cats.
You are one of the few. Every one I've been near had a distinct "scent"...and ALL were professionally tuned. The cats are there for a reason....the smell is a byproduct of that reason. If it doesn't bother you than great. It's your car...do with it as you please.

To the OP...take a sniff or two before you make the leap.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Stingbill
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don`t have cats and do have a tune and my car do smell !
Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

These vettes with out cats do not smell more or less than any muscle car 1974 or older. If it didn't bother you then it won't now. Will it have an odor? Of course, its a large engine burning gasoline. In the 60's we didn't make it a point to stand behind the car or inside a garage while it was running and you shouldn't today even with cats since it still produces CO.

If it bothers you that much you can always add the cats later. In the mean time you can save $300, have more power, better sound and a cooler running tunnel.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by wbear
These vettes with out cats do not smell more or less than any muscle car 1974 or older. If it didn't bother you then it won't now. Will it have an odor? Of course, its a large engine burning gasoline.
My car literally does not smell any different than a stock C6. I can leave it running in the garage for a while and you can't smell anything.

I've had several friends with catless fbodies, and after tuning them they had no smell either. So I dont know what to tell you guys, lol.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Obviously from what is being written here....smell or odor is relevant to ones senses. To the post that said it's no worse than muscle cars from the 60's, I say we didn't know any better then, but we're smarter now.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 AM
wooden
Racer

I don,t notice any oder from mine either, the exhaust is going out the back, really should not be any oder unless you are sittng in the garage with the motor running. the muscle cars of the 60,s ,70,s did not have efi and were not tuned as well, and most of them had exhaust dumping under the car instead of out the back atleast mine did and most the others I was around.

Get notified of new replies

To Effects of running catless exhaust

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
ramrodw30
Pro

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68

There is no downside to no cats other than emissions testing, if they look.

The up sides are more power and sound.
No downside? How about that it is a violation of federal (and many states) laws and increases pollution for all of us to breath - thanks so much for your self absorbed analysis.

It is very curious why posts about illegal street racing are not allowed but posts about making illegal modifications are aok...

And how much extra power do you get based on dyno results I wonder?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by ramrodw30
No downside? How about that it is a violation of federal (and many states) laws and increases pollution for all of us to breath - thanks so much for your self absorbed analysis.

It is very curious why posts about illegal street racing are not allowed but posts about making illegal modifications are aok...

And how much extra power do you get based on dyno results I wonder?
To your first sentence:
I pass inspection JUST fine

To your second....because it would put a HUGE hurt on vendor sales and crush any enthusiast board as any longtube header violates federal law and aftermarket exhausts of any kind violate many local laws as do many other modifications. We're on a car enthusiasts board...better get used to lots of laws being broken

I would guess around 5rwhp more on a catless system.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I too used to believe that going catless meant dealing with a bad odor until recently. I have a friend that went catless and I spent a good deal of time with his car recently and I gotta tell you, I could not detect any additional odor from the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Effects of running catless exhaust