C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clicking noise coming from hazard switch??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Default clicking noise coming from hazard switch??

every now and then I hear a clicking noise coming from the dash, I just purchased the car Sunday ( 2005 with nav system ) and have not had a change to " Learn " everything on them but the noise comes on while driving not even when the turn signal is on... If I turn the hazard switch on the noise is constant, with it off its there with normal driving but on and off... EXTREMELY ANNOYING, Any Ideas....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

TTT now its on every time I use the turn signal, I know in my C5 when the hazard switch went out it did this same thing, is it possible that could be the issue, just need to replace the hazard switch... Cant find anything in the search or google, so any help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone have any Ideas??
Old 10-26-2009, 02:25 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I got some responses before the other thread was closed anyone know anything about brake relay behind the dash
Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Venomm
I got some responses before the other thread was closed anyone know anything about brake relay behind the dash
Not sure what you're hearing, but the brake relay is in the passenger floorboard. The C6 has a computer (RCDLR) that is located behind the hazard switch/air vents area. It is the computer that receives readings from the antennas and decides if you have the correct fob or not. It will click when it is doing its thing, but it shouldn't do it while driving.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I stepped on the break and hear the click from the passenger floorboard, its not the Break Relay... im 99.9% sure its coming from the Hazard Switch as when its pushed in the clicking is constant... BUT its different than the clicking your supposed to here obviously when the hazard switch is on...

I appreciate the help once again!!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep...probably the connector behind the outer right taillight. Remove the taillight in question, put your hand in there and you'll find a connector. Those tend to get a little corroded over time and can cause some problems. You'll notice a double clicking sound behind the radio and when you hit the right turn signal or the brake. If it corrodes further, you might even get the hatch popping back up on you when you close it.

Anyway, clean the connector, put some dielectric grease on it and you'll be good to go.

Here's a thread that may help you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...car-locks.html

Let us know how it goes.

RMX
Old 11-01-2009, 09:13 AM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

AMAZING!!!

FUnny thing is I tried to close the hatch last night and it WOULD NOT it kept popping back up...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

So far so good, Didnt go for a long drive but from the looks of it no issues yet * knock on wood * there was no corrosion but I cleaned it anyways and put lube on it, also cleaned all of the conections to the taillight bulbs... Fingers crossed it works, from the looks of it that was the EXACT same problem I was having...
Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Venomm
So far so good, Didnt go for a long drive but from the looks of it no issues yet * knock on wood * there was no corrosion but I cleaned it anyways and put lube on it, also cleaned all of the conections to the taillight bulbs... Fingers crossed it works, from the looks of it that was the EXACT same problem I was having...

Mine wasn't corroded, either. The guess is maybe down in the female pinholes in the connector there was probably some corrosion.

I had the double clicking problem behind the dash when I bought the car back in April. It made the noise for a few days and then disappeared until last week.

Keep us updated if the problem comes back.

RMX
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Erik88vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While a was in my garage finding out where that clicking noise came from I decided to look on THE forum......et voila!I said to myself,that's the same problem I have been listening to and figuring out where it comes from for the last half hour.So I went back to the garage and looked at the connector.Prior to this I was in a heavy rain and after disconnecting the connector I had no corrosion.....So I checked the connectors on the lightbulbs and they had some water in it.I also struggled with the popping hatch which all of a sudden pops up after the FOB is away from the car or when I unlock the car.When the car locks itself and I approache it again the driversside door will not open...only the passenger door...strange at the least If I enable the aproache lights the hatch pops open if I unlock the car....really confused now.Does anybody has some settings for the FOB (passive:driver or both etc)
Ooohh...and my hatch button doesn't work either.

Greetz Erik.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

ITS BACK ANY IDEAS :/

** The clicking **

My driver door is doing the same thing, it takes 2 push's to open it clicking is on with brakes on or off turn signal on or off... will pull light again here in few min and see if there is water, only thing I did was wash the car... this all started when I lowered the car about a month ago * Might just look that way as I had the car for 1 week before lowering it* But other than that nothing has changed :/ :/
Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Erik88vette
Racer

I still can't figure out what causes this clicking.It has to do with the braking and turnsignal lights that's for sure.I just put 2 other low beams in just a couple of days ago and noticed that the connector on the front turnsignals were a bit dirty with sand and all.I'll check all the lights front and back as well as the connectors...we'll see what happens.You also can hear and feel the clicking from the gear selector if you put your foot on te brake pedall...but I hear a definately (double) clicking sound too.
If I find something I will let you know.

Greetz Erik.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 AM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks man!!

Yeah if you put on hazard lights does it click "mine does"
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Erik88vette
Racer

Does your HATCH button work properly???
Mine didn't and was stuck...so because I had to replace the amber sidemarkers for the red one's i fixed and cleaned the hatch button also while i was in there(i.e. removing the outer taillight).After i cleaned it up and put it all back together i got a really familiar noise...guess what,everytime i used the hatch button i got the same clicking sound behing the hazard switch.Now i must say that i did'nt go for a drive yet but it seems that the hatch button was the culprit....fingers crossed.
I will give it a spin after dinner....

Greetz Erik.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah hatch works good now, only once it would not completely open... where it the hatch connection in the rear, i'm off till 3 so i'm on a mission to figure this out today
Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Erik88vette
Racer

You did notice this topic?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-pictures.html

Greetz Erik.

Get notified of new replies

To clicking noise coming from hazard switch??

Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Going to check it now, Thanks! This might be the source to my problems, I checked the tail lights and connections again and there clean and clear
Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

there was dirt rocks paint all inside the switch now in the process of cleaning or replacing it..

30 min later...

cleaned it didnt even know there was a trunk switch LOL Tried to push it before and did nothing... I had to hot glue a nail to the switch to get it out of the connection to clean it, it just laughed at gorilla tape, all in all everything works and after 1 mile up the road no clicking, also cleaned all the connections to the tail lights as well as the main connection again and wrapped it all up with electrical tape...
Old 11-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Erik88vette
Racer

Yeahhh..ppff...gorilla tape
I had to prie it out with a very small screwdriver and cleaned it up.
So after a 30 min drive the clicking is gone..so i guess it's solved the problem.Do you here the clicking with the hatch open if you push the button??When it gets dirty again you'll know what to do...clickerdeclicker .

Greetz Erik.

Quick Reply: clicking noise coming from hazard switch??