C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slave Cylinder Hydraulic line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Chaser720
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Slave Cylinder Hydraulic line replacement

Hey guys. Need some advice.

Just replaced my slave cylinder and my wealth of knowledge self decided to run the slave line next to the header which ultimately moved and rubbed a hole in the line on the header.

Heres the issue. Its only the small rubber line in between the the two hard lines (part covered by the heat shield). Is it possible to just replace this line without pulling the rear end and replacing the slave.

This would make things like a 100 times easier.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Chaser720
Pro

Possible solutions:
1. Replace slave (ugg)
2. Replace rubber section of hose and find hydraulic fittings that attach the hardline to the hose (where could i get those and what kind of tool is required for attachment?).
3. Remove rubber line entirely and replace section with hard line?

What is the benefit of the rubber line in between hard lines? Possibly prevent overload of pressure into the slave by allowing some expansion in this area or is this just for ease of installation?

Does anyone know the dimension of the hard lines in the slave?

Last edited by Chaser720; 11-25-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my local NAPA has fittings that screw onto the hydraulic hose, cant remember thier exact name. I used them a lot when I owned Heavy equiptment and they worked great. No special tools nessasary, just slide the coupler over the hard line and slide the hose into the coupler, spin the coupler tight and youre done...

I unfortunatley broke my hard line the first time I pulled the clutch out and it broke at the bend going into the slave so I went to an adjustable Ram unit.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser720
What is the benefit of the rubber line in between hard lines? Possibly prevent overload of pressure into the slave by allowing some expansion in this area or is this just for ease of installation?
The clutch master is bolted to the frame and the clutch slave rocks around with the engine. The rubber section allows for relative motion, just like the flexible hose used to connect the fuel rail to the hard line from the tank.
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (07-01-2018)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:36 PM
prokta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaiah48
my local NAPA has fittings that screw onto the hydraulic hose, cant remember thier exact name. I used them a lot when I owned Heavy equiptment and they worked great. No special tools nessasary, just slide the coupler over the hard line and slide the hose into the coupler, spin the coupler tight and youre done...

I unfortunatley broke my hard line the first time I pulled the clutch out and it broke at the bend going into the slave so I went to an adjustable Ram unit.
Not quiet sure of what you are talkin about here. Would you elaborate some more? I have a rip in my house between the 2 metal ends also.

Chaser...what did you do to resolve the issue?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Chaser720
Pro

Game plan as of now is to cut the rubber hose where its ruptured and replace the hose and clamp on hydraulic fittings on both sides (those applied by machine not screw on).
Old 06-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Arturo Bencosme
Advanced

Hello, similar problem just happened to me today. I was at a traffic light in Miami about 4 hours away from home I pressed the clutch and about half way just lost pressure dropping to the floor. How were you able to resolve this issue? Some direction would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Arturo Bencosme; 06-30-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:10 AM
Sammy Bono
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arturo Bencosme
Hello, similar problem just happened to me today. I was at a traffic light in Miami about 4 hours away from home I pressed the clutch and about half way just lost pressure dropping to the floor. How were you able to resolve this issue? Some direction would be greatly appreciated!
I made it to my destination earlier today and clutch pedal dropped straight to the floor also......I have to figure this out whether its a clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder this is all new to me.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Arturo Bencosme
Advanced

Samy it could be a couple of different things. In my case it is the line that connects the master cylinder to the slave. It runs on the driver side right next to the exhaust manifold/ header. Tomorrow I’ll post a pic of where mine ruptured.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:21 AM
Sammy Bono
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Samy it could be a couple of different things. In my case it is the line that connects the master cylinder to the slave. It runs on the driver side right next to the exhaust manifold/ header. Tomorrow I’ll post a pic of where mine ruptured.
Thanks I did not see any fluid on the ground and the reservoir is full.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:57 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

For today's posters - I've seen some threads that (summed up) talk about clutch wear and the slave cylinder pushing the clutch over-center, so it's stuck disengaged. Kind of sounds like what you guys are describing.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Pwalnuts
3rd Gear

Mine ruptured yesterday in my garage and sprayed on the header and caught fire fortunately i had an extinguisher 20' away to keep the car from going up but had it had happened roadside i wouldn't lost the car . Be careful to heavy wrap with heat sock and mount to firewall as far from header pipe . Mine going in to have hydraulic line put on with flared ends to the hardlines . Hard lesson to learn .

Get notified of new replies

To Slave Cylinder Hydraulic line replacement

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder Hydraulic line replacement