C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting hole in my hood- crazy?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Default Cutting hole in my hood- crazy?

Ok, I might be nuts, but here it is. I have A & A supercharger, LT headers, Comp cam, 550 rwhp. Lots of heat under the hood. When I run the car hard, or idle at stop light, you get the picture, it runs hot! Looking at vented hoods, at least $1,500 plus paint and install, to cool the engine compartment 10 to 15 degrees. Over $2,000 by the time it is on.

Looking at my stock hood, there are some nice lines between the supports that I could cut out, trim, and have some great ventaliation. Kind of the Zr-1 open hood look without the lexan plexiglass. I don't drive if it rains, and the sound of the blower could seap out for all the world to hear. Is this not a good idea?

Anyone else thought of this, or found a hood scoop that can be attached to the stock hood? Here are some pictures I took tonight after I kind of taped off where the cut out would be on my hood:
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
Ok, I might be nuts, but here it is. I have A & A supercharger, LT headers, Comp cam, 550 rwhp. Lots of heat under the hood. When I run the car hard, or idle at stop light, you get the picture, it runs hot! Looking at vented hoods, at least $1,500 plus paint and install, to cool the engine compartment 10 to 15 degrees. Over $2,000 by the time it is on.

Looking at my stock hood, there are some nice lines between the supports that I could cut out, trim, and have some great ventaliation. Kind of the Zr-1 open hood look without the lexan plexiglass. I don't drive if it rains, and the sound of the blower could seap out for all the world to hear. Is this not a good idea?

Anyone else thought of this, or found a hood scoop that can be attached to the stock hood? Here are some pictures I took tonight after I kind of taped off where the cut out would be on my hood:
No amount of cuts on your hood will make your engine run noticeably cooler; what you need is a larger radiator. My A&A Supercharged car ran over 30 degrees cooler after I installed a DeWitts.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

One word, certifiable.

I wouldn't even think about doing this myself. You have a Corvette and you want to cut a hole in the hood rather than do it right?

San
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
No amount of cuts on your hood will make your engine run noticeably cooler; what you need is a larger radiator. My A&A Supercharged car ran over 30 degrees cooler after I installed a DeWitts.
Sam, was the Dewitts the only cooling mod you did?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
MLCZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy is right..

Don't do it... Look around here on the parts section and find you a good deal on a used hood and paint it......
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What is wrong with u...........
Old 12-11-2009, 11:02 PM
SERENITY_NOW
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, I might be nuts, but :

Maybe you can identify with me... everytime that I have ever got in trouble, it had been preceded by the phrase ... " Well I have been doing some thinking...."

Well Doug, I have been doing some thinking along a similar line. It seems a waste to spend a $2,000 plus on a hood hoping to clear a Maggie TVS2300. It also seems that if I am willing to scrap the hood anyways, why not cut out what is needed to allow the SC to come through. With all the vendors spining out fiberglas or carbon fiber hoods, it seems the next logical phase might be to offer a smooth bubble riser or louvered dome that is a direct matching contour to our stocker. If the mounting bolts were cast in the dome, the piece could be bolted on with a thin gasket. Bring only the piece to your shop for prep and paint and not even lose use of the car for the day.

I see you are from Minnesota...I am from Vermont...maybe the artic life has frost bitten a few brain cells....Or maybe my desire to drill holes in the ice on our frozen lake has be displaced to drilling a giant hole in my hood.

Ut oh, I see the nurse has returned with my nightly meds so I must return to ward before lockdown..... You know, this is really a bad idea about to happen. I should just stick with leather belts and moccasins.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey, here is a thought. take the hood off and run without it first. see how much cooler it runs. plus, show off your supercharger !!! won't cost a thing.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 PM
MLCZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i agree.

Originally Posted by cranky
hey, here is a thought. take the hood off and run without it first. see how much cooler it runs. plus, show off your supercharger !!! won't cost a thing.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the RKSport hood with a cutout, I love it.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

if you got the stones and some air tools take a die grinder and go for it. I did one an a blown chevelle i had and it turned out great. The only issue i had was what to do to the hole opening edges. I used some black molding i think is was the stuff you use for car door edges to avoid dings. I you have the cash for a new hood then why not try it,,,what do you have to loose.

Last edited by HANNY; 12-12-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Z
What is wrong with u...........

Just take the hood off and drive it like that.

Originally Posted by cranky

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
No amount of cuts on your hood will make your engine run noticeably cooler; what you need is a larger radiator. ...
So just take the hood off and leave it off.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Have to agree with not doing it. Even if you have the guts to do it, you've got a Corvette so do it right. Wait till you get the $$$'s and get a new hood, radiator, etc. JMO.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Ricer mod of the year award. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
Sam, was the Dewitts the only cooling mod you did?
Yup. Did the DeWitts and also dumped a bottle of RedLine WaterWetter, but I was running that before too. My car now will cruize at 80 - 90 miles an hour for hours at a time without the coolant temperature ever going over 200F.
Wanting to cut a hole in your hood for cooling simply suggests you have no idea how heat is removed from an engine. I bet if he ran his car with no hood at all the difference in coolant and oil temperature would barely be measurable; the surface area of the radiator is orders of magnitude greater than the surface area of the engine block, and the amount of metal between the coolant and the air surrounding it on the radiator is THOUSANDS of times thinner than the walls on the block; for all practical purposes the engine block is not shedding any heat to the surrounding air when compared to how much cooling the radiator provides.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Ricer mod of the year award. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think this s joke post just like my tire chain one.....

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting hole in my hood- crazy?

Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand people that post something like "you have a Corvette, so do it right". First, what bearing does the type of car have on the decision to do so? Secondly, please define the "right" way.

Just because the idea doesnt appeal to you doesnt mean it's wrong. If the man wants to cut up his hood, so be it. It's not a rare and precious DaVinci that can't be replaced. It's a slab of fiberglass off a mass-produced car that's no more valuable or special than every other Tahoe or Excursion out there with the same MSRP.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:53 PM
wooden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran with out my hood right after supercharger install, just to make sure everything worked properly befor installing hood. no difference in coolant temps, so don,t waste your time.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
I don't understand people that post something like "you have a Corvette, so do it right". First, what bearing does the type of car have on the decision to do so? Secondly, please define the "right" way.

Just because the idea doesnt appeal to you doesnt mean it's wrong. If the man wants to cut up his hood, so be it. It's not a rare and precious DaVinci that can't be replaced. It's a slab of fiberglass off a mass-produced car that's no more valuable or special than every other Tahoe or Excursion out there with the same MSRP.
He asked for an opinion, not a cheerleading feel good group therapy encounter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cutting hole in my hood- crazy?