C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Damn fine work there

Mine is an 05 but thanks for sharing the info.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
ATMER1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper TT
Why would the ZR1 require a new console switch?
To allow you to access the Performance Traction Management functions. The switch has additional functionality added to allow scrolling through the five different levels of PTM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
80L82-05Z51
Intermediate

awesome write-up. thanks for the detail.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the PTM features? Are they usable on a non-ZR1 also?

Has anyone ACTUALLY USED the damn features anyway??? YOUTUBE VIDEOS PLZ.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 PM
GTPprix
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just figured I'd bump this to ask if anyone else has done it besides me? I've done a few for people and was curious
Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 AM
GreatScott
2nd Gear

I just have one question. Since the ECM and EBCM on the 2009 seem to be the same as the 2010 version, couldn't the 2009 ECM and EBCM just be reflashed with the 2010 program? I'm assuming the Launch Control is just a software update.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 AM
GTPprix
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatScott
I just have one question. Since the ECM and EBCM on the 2009 seem to be the same as the 2010 version, couldn't the 2009 ECM and EBCM just be reflashed with the 2010 program? I'm assuming the Launch Control is just a software update.
They aren't the same, otherwise I would have just done that LOL While I cant physically see any difference in the EBCM I'm told by Bosch that the 2010 has a significantly faster processor, it also carries a different part # and a higher price so this story jives with the parts catalog. The 2009 ECM also wont accept a 2010 Calibration due to changes in the E38 from 09 to 10, I have a suspicion that the 2010 EBCM may work with the 2009 ECM however I know there is at least one DTC that is specifically for the launch control so I decided to do the complete conversion.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 PM
GreatScott
2nd Gear

Hey GTPprix,

I was just curious about what TIS2Web device you are using. I found a good one from Drew Tech.

http://www.drewtech.com/products/cardaqplus.html

TIS2Web
J 2534 device
DT-CarDAQ-Plus $1595.00
or
Mongoose-GM $495.00

I also found the ECM and EBCM at gmpartsdirect.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

12625455 - 2010 ECM $143.49
25994201 - 2010 EBCM $450.79

Funny thing...the 2009 ECM ($164.04) is more expensive than the 2010 ECM ($143.49).

I'm seriously considering doing the update.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
JetskiMobile1
Intermediate

I ran the question by my local dealer if changing the ECM & EBCM would void the warranty and he said if they ran a scan and found it that it would be void. My question is: How hard is it to swap the ECM & EBCM? Could I have the 2010 put in adn if I have any issues where it needs to go to the dealer swap back to the 09 parts? Could that be detected by any scan? Currently the car is completely stock, this would allow me to also put a custom tune in the '10 ECM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 AM
R1Racer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this back from the dead! How many successfully completed this swap?
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten@ARH (01-25-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 03:40 PM
B-Sizzle
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in doing this on my 2009. Good information here. I still have question I was hoping someone could answer:

Do I need the 2010+ PTM switch so I can toggle modes? It seems like it is a totally different signal being a pulse to switch vs. a latched position. If so, is the wiring harness the same or does that need to be updated? If so what are the PN(s)? I'm having trouble with the console sketch but from what I can tell it's this: #17

Any other advice is welcome as well.

Thanks,

Brent

Last edited by B-Sizzle; 01-24-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:25 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default back from the dead

I too am interested in resurrecting this thread, and doing launch control on my 09 Z06
Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm all for modding.. but do you gents know that the launch control is much slower than learning to launch the car properly? The few times I've seen guys try to use it at the track it was wheel hop city. I'm amazed their rear ends didn't break (I've seen many rear ends break at the track).

It's not anywhere near a panacea for quick launches, you can do much better yourself with just a little practice.

Oh my gosh I almost broke my own golden rule, which is don't just bring up a problem offer a solution.

This website has invaluable information on how to launch a manual car and many folks have learned a ton from it. I highly recommend it.

www.rangeracceleration.com

Last edited by Joe_G; 05-24-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm all for modding.. but do you gents know that the launch control is much slower than learning to launch the car properly? The few times I've seen guys try to use it at the track it was wheel hop city. I'm amazed their rear ends didn't break (I've seen many rear ends break at the track).

It's not anywhere near a panacea for quick launches, you can do much better yourself with just a little practice.

Oh my gosh I almost broke my own golden rule, which is don't just bring up a problem offer a solution.

This website has invaluable information on how to launch a manual car and many folks have learned a ton from it. I highly recommend it.

www.rangeracceleration.com
Ok I'm game, how old are you?

During college, I built up a 530 hp forged stroked SB Chevy 4 bolt main in a 79 Z28 w/o a lick of anything resembling traction control. I built that engine..OK...well... helped my uncle who built engines in the NHRA build it...it also a 200 NOS wet shot, and a Nash 5 speed, and a 3.91 rear end from a72 chevelle ss..a 12 bolt rear end in the days when those things (doug nash 5 speeds) set up that way were cutting edge. I used that old Z to run 127 mph 1/4 mile's at the track in Dallas..back then it was run what ya brung at Green Valley Raceway...and I won a lot. On the street..always. I used to call it the Raging Bull..which is the source of my forum name today.

Fast forward 30 years, I haven't forgotten how to drive like that, but its also fun to have technology and a Z/28 and Z06. Gee it's nice remembering now the muscle cars of yore ran (because you drove them then); and then how we built cars up ten years later...since there was a tecnology deficit in the late 70's early 80's as well as 190 hp 4 bolt mains.

I guess the moral of the story is,don't jump to conclusions that we're all incapable of driving the car w/o technology. Some of us remember the day when there was you and the car learning to be one....

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 05-24-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
Ok I'm game, how old are you?

I had a 530 hp forged engine in a 79 Z28 w/o a lick of anything near traction control, when I built that engine, it also had a 200 NOS wet shot, and a Nash 5 speed in the days when those things (nash 5 speeds) were cutting edge. I used that old Z to run 127 mph 1/4 mile's at the track in Dallas..back then it was run what ya brung...and I won a lot. On the street..always.

Fast forward 30 years, I haven't forgotten how to drive like that, but its also fun to have technology -and a Z/28 and Z06. Gee it's nice remembering now the muscle cars of yore ran (because you drove them then); and then how we built cars up ten years later...since there was a tecnology deficit in the late 70's early 80's as well as 190 hp 4 bolt mains.

I guess the moral of the story is,don't jump to conclusions that we're all incapable of driving the car w/o technology. Some of us remember the day when there was you and the car learning to be one.
I'm 50.

The new C7 Z has outstanding launch control, it works very well and really gets the power to the ground without sacrificing acceleration. I don't have one personally but I scanned a buddy's at the track and that car made him look like a hero getting the power to the ground on street tires. It did better than I can do on street tires. The E92 computer is so much faster than the c6's that it does a much better job, along with the torque based throttle control, it's just all around a better system.

Could an expert driver still do better? You bet. Here's an example of that. No launch control will allow the 6000 rpm launch Jeremy does.

The computer in the c6 does a lousy job at launch control. That's all I meant. It's like spending a lot of money to install a navigation system in your car when the WAZE app with real time traffic is so much better. Why bother.

That is my point of my post above. Just pointing out that spending money and time to install an inferior system may not be worth it. When this thread was made back in 2009 the launch control was new and unknown. That is no longer the case and I've never seen anyone use it effectively at the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette

Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm 50.

The new C7 Z has outstanding launch control, it works very well and really gets the power to the ground without sacrificing acceleration. I don't have one personally but I scanned a buddy's at the track and that car made him look like a hero getting the power to the ground on street tires. It did better than I can do on street tires. The E92 computer is so much faster than the c6's that it does a much better job, along with the torque based throttle control, it's just all around a better system.

Could an expert driver still do better? You bet. Here's an example of that. No launch control will allow the 6000 rpm launch Jeremy does.

https://youtu.be/yOVnliAJxds

The computer in the c6 does a lousy job at launch control. That's all I meant. It's like spending a lot of money to install a navigation system in your car when the WAZE app with real time traffic is so much better. Why bother.

That is my point of my post above. Just pointing out that spending money and time to install an inferior system may not be worth it. When this thread was made back in 2009 the launch control was new and unknown. That is no longer the case and I've never seen anyone use it effectively at the track.

each to his own my friend..its just that assuming skill levels based on a single post is probably bad manners. Good luck with your racing advice website. BTW did you take time to read what the author of the link posted did?

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 05-24-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

each to his own my friend..its just that assuming skill levels based on a single post is probably bad manners. Good luck with your racing advice website
It's not my website, it's Rangers and he offers advice based on his experience for free.

I made no comment regarding your or anyone else's skill level but I can tel you that the launch control is not going to help anyone launch well and in my observations I'm surprised the rear ends didn't break with all the wheel hop it caused.

I would suggest you try a c6 with the the system and see if you think it's worth it before you invest a lot of money. That is my point of my post, point blank. Nothing more. If you love it, then it'll be a good mod for you.

But I'd sure try it before you pay for it based on my observations.

Don't know why I'm even wasting my time offering any advice anymore.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

each to his own my friend..its just that assuming skill levels based on a single post is probably bad manners. Good luck with your racing advice website. BTW did you take time to read what the author of the link posted did?
Yes of course I read the first post, from 7 years ago, before I posted what I have seen with the launch control system now that it's been out for 6 + years.

Quick Reply: Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette