F55 owners - caution & cure for shock connector - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 owners - caution & cure for shock connector

Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Default F55 owners - caution & cure for shock connector

If the top of the F55 rear shocks need to be removed for any reason, be careful when unbolting the flange. The electrical connector is prone to damage when the tension is released. Place a support or jack under the lower control arm before removing the flange bolts. Make sure the connector and wiring harness have clearance around the mounting bracket hole as you lower the assembly.

If you're not reading this until after you broke the connector, here's the replacement PN. 19180262

Don't let the dealership tell you the connector only comes as part of the PN 19177205 shock assembly (about $700), because that's all that shows up on their main computer parts access.

Many thanks to Adrian and Jesse at Sands Chevy in AZ for spending the time to find it among the hundreds of items of individual parts in other portions of the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to HOXXOH For This Useful Post:
beachcomber (05-31-2016)
Old 12-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Boat Racer
CF Senior Member

Good info. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 AM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Default Update

The replacement connector I received was not 100% identical to the original from my 10-30-07 build date '08. Apparently there was a slight change, but the newer one can be made to work.

NOTE: If your original is beige, disregard the following mod.

The original on the right is black and is partially broken where the retainer spring fits.

Notice that the beige replacement part is longer where the wiring harness connects.

To get the harness connector inserted you must sand/grind approximately 1/8" off that end. Test fit to the harness or compare measurements to the original to avoid removing too much material. Do not attempt to saw, slice, snip, or use any other methods to reduce the size, as this type of plastic is prone to cracking. I had excellent results with a belt sander. Put tape over the part that fits on the shock to keep out any crap. You'll need to scrape the burr off, that the sanding created and blow out any dust.

When installing, put the harness connector on first and then depress the spring and install on the shock. When the connector is seated, release the spring. Don't forget to replace the bungee.

Be careful when remounting the shock, as it's easy to crack the connector as it goes through the shock mount hole.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:48 PM
roughian69

Default Part number change

Originally Posted by HOXXOH View Post
If the top of the F55 rear shocks need to be removed for any reason, be careful when unbolting the flange. The electrical connector is prone to damage when the tension is released. Place a support or jack under the lower control arm before removing the flange bolts. Make sure the connector and wiring harness have clearance around the mounting bracket hole as you lower the assembly.

If you're not reading this until after you broke the connector, here's the replacement PN. 19180262

Don't let the dealership tell you the connector only comes as part of the PN 19177205 shock assembly (about $700), because that's all that shows up on their main computer parts access.

Many thanks to Adrian and Jesse at Sands Chevy in AZ for spending the time to find it among the hundreds of items of individual parts in other portions of the system.
As info the part number has been superceded with p/n 13586171. About $16 from any of the gm part wholesalers.
The Following User Says Thank You to roughian69 For This Useful Post:
HOXXOH (05-31-2016)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:31 AM
03Cobrra
CF Senior Member

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know the correct part number for the REAR shock connectors as well? The front connector part number #13586171 is correct.

Last edited by 03Cobrra; 04-13-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM
roughian69

I believe it is the same. I replaced my rear connector with that part number.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 PM
03Cobrra
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by roughian69 View Post
I believe it is the same. I replaced my rear connector with that part number.
They are physically different connectors, the fronts are gray and the rears are black and have a short harness attached as well. I believe I have found the correct part number (#88956499). I am going to order one its $40 from gm parts now and it lists it for the ZR1 and several models of Cadillacs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55 owners - caution & cure for shock connector

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: