C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump tank question

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 PM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dry sump tank question

I haven't found much information on it so now I gotta ask.

After an engine has been grenaded. Is it possible to clean out the sump tank and get it to working order and just replace the gasket and rings along with oil cooler and lines? Or should I go ahead and buy a new sump tank as well?

I'm looking for someone with experience that has done what I'm asking and been successful or not. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Z06FoEva
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2008 Z06 that dropped and exhaust valve and totally trashed my entire engine. I had the same concerns as you about not only the sump tank but the oil cooler. You can remove the sump tank and separate the two halves. I actually did this to mine because I wanted to clean it out but also install an Aviaid baffle system. You couldn't imagine how much metal debris was in the bottom of the tank. I first washed it in a parts washer and then used compressed air to blow everything out. I was able to get it completely cleaned out and had no issues with my new engine. I believe that my kit came with a new o ring for the tank so I recommend installing a new one. One tip I would give you is to mark the orientation of the two halve so that you can easily line it back up when you go back together. As far as the cooler, if you look at the oil routing diagram the oil goes straight from the filter in the cooler so the cooler should be ok. Mine was fine but I used some parts cleaner and gently blew some compressed air through it. After spending $12k on a new built LS7 I was very nervous about and foreign debris. Hope this answers your questions.
The following users liked this post:
dmoneychris (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 AM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the kind of answer I was looking to see. Thanks man!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:42 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06FoEva
I have a 2008 Z06 that dropped and exhaust valve and totally trashed my entire engine. I had the same concerns as you about not only the sump tank but the oil cooler. You can remove the sump tank and separate the two halves. I actually did this to mine because I wanted to clean it out but also install an Aviaid baffle system. You couldn't imagine how much metal debris was in the bottom of the tank. I first washed it in a parts washer and then used compressed air to blow everything out. I was able to get it completely cleaned out and had no issues with my new engine. I believe that my kit came with a new o ring for the tank so I recommend installing a new one. One tip I would give you is to mark the orientation of the two halve so that you can easily line it back up when you go back together. As far as the cooler, if you look at the oil routing diagram the oil goes straight from the filter in the cooler so the cooler should be ok. Mine was fine but I used some parts cleaner and gently blew some compressed air through it. After spending $12k on a new built LS7 I was very nervous about and foreign debris. Hope this answers your questions.
Good answer

Get notified of new replies

To Dry sump tank question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dry sump tank question