C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the ground go in a Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Where does the ground go in a Z06?

I'm relocating my battery into the trunk, and want to follow the factory wire path. Trouble is; I can't seem to find the spot where the C6Z ground goes? Can anyone help me?

I have this photo from a grand Sport that shows where the wires BEGIN, and I have the factory service manual showing me where they go, but the picture on the FSM makes no sense.

FSM illustration of where the ground attaches to, supposedly somewhere in the passenger side of the trunk. I looked at it with the manual inside the trunk, butI still don't see where it should be. Where is the wheel tub? Where is the rear speaker? Where is the front or the back of the trunk there for that matter?:

Last edited by PowerLabs; 01-25-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

The drawing you posted is correct. Passenger side below the "B" pillar between the rear cargo deck and the door sill. I saw it when I removed the trim to install my harness bar.

The view of the drawing would be looking at the area behind the passenger seat and rear of the door jamb with the door open - as if you were seeing it from the center console.

Last edited by vetracer; 01-26-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 AM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that spot is on the divider hump between the trunk area and the passenger compartment.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by adam205348
I think that spot is on the divider hump between the trunk area and the passenger compartment.
That divider is fibreglass.

Can anyone show me a picture of where that place is? No need to lift any trim, just show me where and I'll look for it. I just spent another half an hour looking and I am starting to think maybe it just doesn't exist on a non Z06? I already figured the positive cable crossover isn't there...
Help please?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
That divider is fibreglass.

Can anyone show me a picture of where that place is? No need to lift any trim, just show me where and I'll look for it. I just spent another half an hour looking and I am starting to think maybe it just doesn't exist on a non Z06? I already figured the positive cable crossover isn't there...
Help please?
OK, you got me wondering, so I pulled my panels up to have a look. They have been off several times before, so it only takes a few minutes. The ground location is further up than what your diagram shows, it is actually just above the top of the rear trunk area/passenger compartment partition:

Looks like that may have been what adam205348 was trying to say.

Last edited by vetracer; 01-26-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetracer
OK, you got me wondering, so I pulled my panels up to have a look. They have been off several times before, so it only takes a few minutes. The ground location is further up than what your diagram shows, it is actually just above the top of the rear trunk area/passenger compartment partition:

Looks like that may have been what adam205348 was trying to say.
Is the speaker just above that? Its a bit too close for me to recognize any point that would make me know where I am looking at exactly.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Is the speaker just above that? Its a bit too close for me to recognize any point that would make me know where I am looking at exactly.
It is directly above the partition I mentioned. The partition carpeting is about 2" wide running horizontal at that point. You can see the carpet turning down into the rear trunk area just behind the ground bolt if you look closely. My race seat is fixed and that is the best picture I could get. It is likely that they did not put the threads for the ground in steel frame coupes, up until the GS manual trans car they didn't need it.

Last edited by vetracer; 01-26-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this will help you but I just grounded mines to the chasis. It's been working fine. Let me know if you want a pic and I'll snap one tomorrow if it's not raining. I just drilled a 1/2" hole on the side of the box and ran the ground through. Using a die grinder i then cleaned up a spot on the chasis, put a 3/8" clamp on the wire and bolted it to the side of the chasis.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

I think sam is wanting to keep from drilling a hole through the box and just try to run it like the factory did on the Z06.

Sam how and where did you run the Positive cable to get it up to the starter and or fuse box?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

I think sam is wanting to keep from drilling a hole through the box and just try to run it like the factory did on the Z06.

Sam how and where did you run the Positive cable to get it up to the starter and or fuse box?
Throught he stock location for the C6 Z06; along the door sill. The grommet in the firewall doesn't exist so I had to drill that.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

I am going to be doing the relocation as well and I rather run it like that than drill holes in the fiberglass bucket in the back. But if non-Z cars do not have the ground location or even metal there to make our own ground then going under the car might be the only option.

My problem is I have a 08 and it has a Onstar or XM or something module in the passenger rear cubby hole that takes up room. I will have to somehow relocate that module to get enough room to fit a battery in there.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Sam, the other option would be to run your Negative all the way up and through the firewall as well and ground it to the block or other factory ground location.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Sam, the other option would be to run your Negative all the way up and through the firewall as well and ground it to the block or other factory ground location.
That is not a very good option: 1AWG cable is heavy and there isn't really a good spot for feeding the cable through the firewall...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

I am going to be doing the relocation as well and I rather run it like that than drill holes in the fiberglass bucket in the back. But if non-Z cars do not have the ground location or even metal there to make our own ground then going under the car might be the only option.

My problem is I have a 08 and it has a Onstar or XM or something module in the passenger rear cubby hole that takes up room. I will have to somehow relocate that module to get enough room to fit a battery in there.
In my '08 Z the OnStar is under the passenger seat. XM is on the driver side rear trunk area up high under the carpet if I remember correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Where does the ground go in a Z06?

Quick Reply: Where does the ground go in a Z06?