C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire wear on a track day????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Default Tire wear on a track day????

Ok so looking at my tires on my vette. and love my tires but want to know how much life i took off by a track day (road coarse, not drag)

I want to know how much wear do you think a day at the track puts on them? like % lost or something.

I have never noticed a few drag passes, or even going to the track every now and then. I normally get the same milage out of the same kind of tires.

BUT I think road racing is a little different. They got ALOT hotter, and could see some sidways rubbing of the rubber.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll depend on a TON of variables. Temperature of the day, type of tires (R compound, summer tires, all season), driving style, time spent on track, g's pulled in corners

Worst case scenario would be a hot day on R compound tires driven poorly with lots of understeer for several hours and pulling 1.1g+ in the sweepers.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Tires are expendable wear items when it comes to track days, just like brakes.

Entry fess, tire wear, brake wear, lots of gas, food & lodging (if necessary) are all part of the cost of high performance track days.

In my experience, R-Compound DOT tires wear better than a high perf street tire on the track, R's are designed to roll over.

To give you a reference for your Q: I put 2 -3 track "weekends" a year on my daily driven DOT R-Compounds & still got ~10k miles out of them. As far a % wear lost, figure 1-2k less miles than you would have gotten without any track days.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a tire inspection at the track to guage tread remaining?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
bps999
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would estimate that a full track day would cost you maybe 10% of the life of a typical set of street tires, but perhaps 30%+ of the life of your front brake pads... Of course these numbers could vary widely, but in my limited experience the track ate my front pads alot more than my tires.

Also driving on a track can damn near ruin the fun of driving on the street... it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The most tire wear will be on the outer edges of the tires, especially the front tires. Rear tires usually wear pretty well and outlast fronts. That is why a lot of people switch to equal size wheels front and rear so they can equalize wear by rotating the tires and get more use out of a set of tires. There shouldn't be much wear due to sliding around unless you are a very bad driver.

Bill
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

The tires i ran where the nitto invo's. I just wondered how mch you think a track day wore on them. I know its a replacable part, just wondered what others though about how much life it took away.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

When I was at Spring Mountain about 2 years ago I asked about tire life. They said they get about 1000 miles out of a set. When they change tires, they also change brake pads. They never turn the brake rotors.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I ran over 100 laps at Road America in my 06 Z51 and didn't see much wear. In fact I sold the car at 18K miles and still had 4/32nds left on the SC F1's.

But then I subscribe to the Jackie Stewart style of driving which is very gentle and deliberate. I don't over drive or man handle the car. I saw far too many HERO's on the tarck with me and all I could think of was - there's an accident waiting to happen.

It's a weekend HSDE not a real race.

Tom
Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 AM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it's about money, If I want to play, I have an expense for doing that. I just replace my F1's. Lasted 11,000 miles. I did 6 autocrosses and went to the drags 8 times. The tire didn't last 2 yrs. My front tires were almost bald. Rears were showing lots of outside wear.I bought a set of toyo's R888s for the rear, Run them at the track and the strip. Great tire! When I can aford a set of front rims and tires that we be the next thing. It's about money and what I am willing to pay to have fun. I have new set of NIttos NT 05's. I dont expect any more wear than the F1's. Running at the track to see what the car can do....

priceless

Get notified of new replies

To Tire wear on a track day????

Quick Reply: Tire wear on a track day????