C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting shroud for VaraRam SC CAI Install on 06 C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Chopper268
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting shroud for VaraRam SC CAI Install on 06 C6

Does anyone have a copy or PDF of the shroud cut out pattern for the VaraRam SC CAI? I bought a used CAI here on forum. I've read several articles on the installation and not interested in buying the precut shroud. Any advise/help on cutting shroud is appreciated.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopper268
Does anyone have a copy or PDF of the shroud cut out pattern for the VaraRam SC CAI? I bought a used CAI here on forum. I've read several articles on the installation and not interested in buying the precut shroud. Any advise/help on cutting shroud is appreciated.
I also bought a Vararam SC. Sorry but I did not save the template for the shroud cut out. I found that the template was only an approximation of the hole required. I had to trim the shroud a dozen times before the intake shroud fit. Make sure you use a sharp utility blade with minimal depth to prevent gouging anything under the shroud. I am happy with the outcome despite the time it took to do the install.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The template is ONLY a rought starting point. I trimmed mine 3 or 4 times to get a good fit. So you may be better off to cut an undersized hole and then trim til you get the fit you want. Take your time and PROTECT the condenser with thin plywood, plexiglass, old license plate etc while you cut. A lot of guys brag about how fast they install stuff. Don't do that.

Last edited by goatts; 01-30-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a vibration cutter for $20, you can cut the shroud like butter and don't need to worry about accidently cutting yourself or something under the shroud. It will serve as a handy tool around the house for many other projects anyway. I think you can call Steve at Vararam and he will mail you a template if you want one, he is a good guy and very customer service oriented.

If you would like a picture of the cutter I would be happy to PM you the details as well. I have installed 2 Vararam systems with this cutter and man does it make cutting and trimming the shroud a breeze!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Another trick is to pull the inside piece out and away as your cutting. It's alot closer to the condensor at the top than the bottom so be careful! But once you have it out, you can see that it was still about an inch away at the top. So it's very important to only have your "very sharp" razor knife's blade about 1/8" - 1/4" out . . . NO MORE!!! It actually take Patrick at Vararam about 4 minutes or so to cut one out safely. But he is use to it. BTW, call Steve at VR and he'll be glad to send you a new template.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually went so far as to pull the shroud out on mine so I could do a nice job of cutting. Wow, what a major PITA that was! Then, like a post above mentioned, after I re-installad it, which was also a major PITA, I still had to do some trimming! So, I don't recommend doing that....
Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

PM CF member VaraRam Industries for a new template...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the precut shroud so i didnt have to mess around with the cutting. so, instead i had to mess around with removing and installing the cover(but at least i have the original if i want to remove the vararam in the future)
Old 01-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Chopper268
Cruising

ALL:thanks for all help, I'll give Steve a call for a template.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the template any longer, it went with the intake when I sold it. However if you place the template like shown in this pic you shouldn't have to trim anything. Make sure the dotted line is in the crease. VR's instructions are crap but Steve and Patrick from VR showed me exactly how to place it when I bought the VR at Carlisle. As mentioned above be EXTREMELY careful when cutting the shroud. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACK 08
I don't have the template any longer, it went with the intake when I sold it. However if you place the template like shown in this pic you shouldn't have to trim anything. Make sure the dotted line is in the crease. VR's instructions are crap but Steve and Patrick from VR showed me exactly how to place it when I bought the VR at Carlisle. As mentioned above be EXTREMELY careful when cutting the shroud. Hope this helps.

Chuck Cow installed mine (think he's done a few in his time?), but I watched him. Placed the template, traced it with a Sharpie, and cut it out in about 15 minutes - no trimming required.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Drjerrypcman
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Did he place the template exactly like above
Old 10-31-2015, 12:12 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you....

Originally Posted by Hogvette

Chuck Cow installed mine (think he's done a few in his time?), but I watched him. Placed the template, traced it with a Sharpie, and cut it out in about 15 minutes - no trimming required.

Thank you. For any of you who have seen our Vararam installs, they are second to none.

The template is misleading and over the years we have modified our own template....

We always keep the part of the shroud we remove and Dan modifies it on the bench to make a perfect drop-in.

We loan our templates out to those that buy the Vararam from us so that there are no sloppy installs out there

with our customers....

It's not hard, but unfortunately most people never get it right.

Our templates make it much easier with no guesswork.

Chuck CoW
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 PM
jallen355
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Thank you. For any of you who have seen our Vararam installs, they are second to none.

The template is misleading and over the years we have modified our own template....

We always keep the part of the shroud we remove and Dan modifies it on the bench to make a perfect drop-in.

We loan our templates out to those that buy the Vararam from us so that there are no sloppy installs out there

with our customers....

Chuck CoW
Sure wish I had one of your templates about now.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Vetteman1980
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

with our customers....

Chuck CoW
ChuckCow,
Are precut shroud still available? If so, how do we go about buying one? Are they foolproof with everything lining up and fitting?
Thanks,
WBE
Atlanta
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default What we do here.....

Originally Posted by Vetteman1980
ChuckCow,
Are precut shroud still available? If so, how do we go about buying one? Are they foolproof with everything lining up and fitting?
Thanks,
WBE
Atlanta
What we do here..... I might have some here, but have to dig.

When we sell Vararam C6 units to customers, we always separately mail out a template

made from the removed portion of a previous job. This way there is no mistake.

Do not try to cut the shroud with a blade.... We use a modified mini air saw.... Too fast a cutting speed melts the

shroud right behind where you cut so slightly turning down the speed is the best idea.

Call me if you need help.

Chuck CoW
Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Here is a link to a member who has the PDF's right on the Forum for you to download:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ched-here.html

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Vararam Support and Install

ALL:thanks for all help, I'll give Steve a call for a template.
As noted get the template. A Corvette owner I know just had a used one installed by a local shop. They butchered the job!

I have one on my 2011 and it was installed by ECS at Carlise and done right.

I recently had a call into Steve at Vararam regarding my foam seal around the filter inside the box. He was great and had one sent out to me without charge and it was delivered in a few days. Great Customer Service.

Jim B.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting shroud for VaraRam SC CAI Install on 06 C6

Quick Reply: Cutting shroud for VaraRam SC CAI Install on 06 C6