C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault - Battery Not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:31 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby1999c5
I had to replace my battery on my 2006 and I opted to put an optima battery in it. I accidentally hooked up the battery backwards, as the negative and positive terminals were on the opposite side on the new battery(yes, I know that I am extremely dumb to not check this and I feel really stupid to have to admit that I did this). I had it hooked up incorrectly for a second(the car goes crazy when you do this...it continuously honks the horn, turns the wipers on, etc). Once I realized what I had done, I hooked it up correctly and it says Charging System Fault. I've checked the fuses underneath the hood and in the floorboard and the only ones that I saw blown were the radio/hud fuse and the HVAC blower fuse.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I would need to look next?

Thanks,

Bobby
Ooooh, once you hook up the battery in reverse, you have more than likely damaged some sensitive electronics within the engine computer system. When I designed systems, we attempted to make sure that polarity reversal by the unknowing customer (f----cking idiots) would not damage anything, but it's not guaranteed. So, in most cases the "mistake" would not damage anything physically only software-wise, so in your case....ooops, it's possible that it inadvertantly changed the software in your computer....IMO, you need to have it checked by your friendly local Chevy dealer....or just have it re-programmed by Chuck COW or whoever to make sure you have the standard characteristics for what your engines needs.

If you don't do this, and afterwards everything seems to work, but once in awhile a quirky thing pops up......you'll know why!

Last edited by HuskerBullet; 02-14-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 AM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you're on the right track with a new or rebuilt alternator. Hooking up the battery in reverse polarity would most certainly damage the diodes and/or the internal regulator in the alternator.

Steve
Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 AM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by captain trash
I see that I'm a little late on this post but hopefully someone will see it. I have a 2011 GS, cam, long tubes, cat del, intake, basic stuff. Read through all of the posts, I'm not running new plugs, my horn works, connections are tight at battery (yellow top). So recently I’ve had some starting issues where I go to start the car normally and it just clicks once and everything shuts off, but I put it in gear and it will start, I had never had to put it in gear to start it, I usually start in neutral. And that issue is intermittent. Now my additional BS is that I’ve been getting an intermittent “Service Charging System” fault, and after reading the post and learning some basics I started paying attention to my batt meter and noticed that it was reading at 11, but it will go back and forth between about 13.5 and 11. When it was reading at only 11 I disconnected my positive battery terminal and the car shut off as I had expected it to do, leading me to believe it was an alternator problem. Well later when I saw it go from 11 to 13.5 I disconnected it again and this time it didn’t shut off leaving me with many questions!! This is my first Vette and have very little automotive knowledge, any help will be very greatly appreciated. If you decide to help me and suggest something to check please be specific as to where it is located as I will most likely not know where to look (to give you an idea of my lack of knowledge I think the starter is under the motor, but I’m not sure).
Thanks,
Chris
Chris, it almost sounds like you have a loose or corroded battery terminal connector on one of the battery cables, or a loose or corroded ground somewhere on the frame of the car. You might also check the ground wire from the alternator and make sure its connection is tight. If it is loose or corroded, you would most certainly have an intermittent charging problem. Hope this info helps.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
captain trash (05-10-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:56 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bassman50
Chris, it almost sounds like you have a loose or corroded battery terminal connector on one of the battery cables, or a loose or corroded ground somewhere on the frame of the car. You might also check the ground wire from the alternator and make sure its connection is tight. If it is loose or corroded, you would most certainly have an intermittent charging problem. Hope this info helps.

Steve
He probably has it fixed by now.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by hippy
He probably has it fixed by now.
7 years without the use of your Corvette is a loooooong time!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM
captain trash
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bassman50

Steve
Thanks Steve,

It turned out being the connection on the starter between the alternator, starter and battery! A loose nut was killing my car!!!! Thanks for the info though.

Quick Reply: Charging System Fault - Battery Not Charging