C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing sound in my dash, LS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Buzzing sound in my dash, LS3

There is a buzzing (electric) sound somewhere around my steering wheel driving me nuts! It's only when the car is ON and running but it's 100% constant. It's not the radio/speakers. When I push the start button, that split second before the car is actually running, the noise starts BUT in acc mode, there is zero noise. Anybody have any idea?

2008 LS3 1LT
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Holly buzzing sound sound batman! I have the same thing! I never said anything because I didnt want to be sent on a ghost hunt. Mine comes on only sometimes and it kid of pulsates at idle. Anyone?

Last edited by SgtRod; 02-14-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is the small fan that is in the air temp sensor next to the ignition switch.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pin point it by using a stethoscope or rubber hose stuck in one ear.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:11 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by knkali
it is the small fan that is in the air temp sensor next to the ignition switch.

Yep, I just yanked it. Here are a few pics. No more buzzing noise and I could care less about the auto air... GM sucks man.

Maybe some are louder than others but if you don't use auto air and you want it quiet, toss it. Total time was 15 minutes with a butterknife to pull the cluster forward.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Whats the function of that thing? Why would mine sound like it surges kinf of like a jet ski hitting waves. Errr...errr ..errr?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SgtRod
Whats the function of that thing? Why would mine sound like it surges kinf of like a jet ski hitting waves. Errr...errr ..errr?
It's a small fan (electric motor) with a heat sensor on the end. It draws air into it (from the cabin) and the air simply helps determine the inside temp. The motor makes more noise car, to car I guess. Remove yours and see if that solves it.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

glad for ya
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 AM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Yep, I just yanked it. Here are a few pics. No more buzzing noise and I could care less about the auto air... GM sucks man.

Maybe some are louder than others but if you don't use auto air and you want it quiet, toss it. Total time was 15 minutes with a butterknife to pull the cluster forward.

I've got the same buzzing noise in my 2007. Can you repost pictures?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It looks like this and is right behind that little vent looking area near the start switch. Sometimes it's just loose where it attaches to the dash and that's whats causing the buzzing noise.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

^ saves the day.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Scott2.0
Instructor

I realize this thread is old but it just saved me a bunch of frustration. It's amazing how much noise that little fan can make. My fan seemed to be secured to the dash properly and the noise was from the fan vibrating the dash. I yanked it...instant silence.

If anyone else has this issue, all it takes is a couple twist with a butter knife to pull the cluster forward so you can reach around and grab the fan. Here are some more detailed instructions I found for the cluster removal:

http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20Gages%...Pipedreams.pdf
Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
It looks like this and is right behind that little vent looking area near the start switch.
How is it attached to the dash? Need to understand how to remove it if firmly attached. Is it just one tab? And at top, bottom, or side? More detailed instructions would be nice . And most importantly, does it throw a DTC when disconnected? Thx.

And to remove the 'sorround', are we talking just 2 screws on top of it, plus the 3 bottom clips, and an extra clip right by the left dash vent, for a total of 4 clips? On that link, there're other 'X's by the pods that's not clear what they are.

My '12 started making a dash noise that will have to investigate if it's that fan. So it always 'buzzes' when engine is running, whether HVAC is on or off, correct? Or does HVAC have to be running in 'auto'? I never use 'auto', by the way. Thanks gang.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 AM
jonjamis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
There is a buzzing (electric) sound somewhere around my steering wheel driving me nuts! It's only when the car is ON and running but it's 100% constant. It's not the radio/speakers. When I push the start button, that split second before the car is actually running, the noise starts BUT in acc mode, there is zero noise. Anybody have any idea?

2008 LS3 1LT
I have had an off and on buzzing for the last 2 years behind the dash somewhere. I could not isolate it. At first I thought it was the windshield trim noise. But, I glued that down and the noise persists.

FINALLY, after reading this post, I listened to the little fan next to the start button and it was the problem. It comes and goes and is sometimes loud and at other times barely audible. $53.14(use 5% off code) to Rockauto and the noise is fixed. The part is; Cabin Air Temperature Sensor ACDelco GM Original Equipment 15-50101.

On my 2008, replace it by pulling the lower dash panel down(clips hold it in position). This is the panel that goes under the steering wheel column. Then pull the dash surround aft from the bottom to gain access to the fan next to the ignition button. Both sides of the dash surround bottom must be pulled aft as they are one piece surrounding the instrument panel.

The fan pulls out easily, as it is a friction fit. Disconnect the wiring connector and you are done. The new one is shorter and fatter and the dash surround panel cannot be pushed back into position, with the new fan, if you do not pull the lower dash panel down to give clearance.

Last edited by jonjamis; 04-29-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buzzing sound in my dash, LS3

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound in my dash, LS3