C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing sound coming from speakers when radio on or off?!?! HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Guild
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoodmug
The answer to my problem, finally got Justin from AAA Sound & Security in Dothan, AL to troubleshoot the problem. The Chevy dealer in Enterprise was wrong with trying to sell me a new $900+ alternator, but I knew that.
From Justin at AAA, "We diagnosed and fixed the OEM Bose amplifier. Amazing what a little piece of flux can do to compromise your audio system." 2 hours of labor.
Said it probably was that way from the beginning, so a mfg issue?
Sounds great, please expand on exactly what was found, was it soldering flux and where exactly?
I've also experienced the same problem, radio off, engine off with a hum in the passenger large speaker.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 AM
jmmy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More stereo problems, similar but different.
I get static from the left front speaker at different volume levels just from opening the door.When I crank up I sometimes get a real blast from the same speaker. Car running or not running, radio on or off, I get some kind of noises 99% of the time. A least a low level static when driving. Sometimes barely audible, others quite noticeable but not affected by the radio volume.
Anybody ?
The following users liked this post:
Evan Sanza (11-17-2019)
Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 AM
bgoodmug
Cruising

Default Guild, wish I could help more

Originally Posted by Guild
Sounds great, please expand on exactly what was found, was it soldering flux and where exactly?
I've also experienced the same problem, radio off, engine off with a hum in the passenger large speaker.

Thanks
I didn't do it so I can't provide the details you are looking for. I think they may have found it sort of by chance. They thought it was teh Power Amp so they took it apart and say this 'dirty spot' on the circuit board inside the Power Amp. There are other possibilities that cause this & solutions but this apparently was mine.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 AM
mmcushm99
7th Gear

I didn't do it so I can't provide the details you are looking for. I think they may have found it sort of by chance. They thought it was the Power Amp so they took it apart and say this 'dirty spot' on the circuit board inside the Power Amp. There are other possibilities that cause this & solutions but this apparently was mine.
2007 with NAV same issue. Speaker in driver door is the source of the humming noise, you could put your hand on the speaker and feel the vibration. After working on this for awhile, replacing the air sensor, etc. I found that the root cause was the NAV radio. Hitting the dash by the air sensor could make the noise come and go. Also opening the display (to load a CD) and slightly pushing the door left or right would make the noise come and go. Pulled the radio, re-seated all the connections, haven't had the noise come back. Pretty simple fix from my perspective.

The noise came back early 2016. I took out the radio again, re-seated the connectors and wire tied the cables under and behind the radio to keep them up off the chassis basically suspending the cables in the air. This seems to be where the interference is coming from and once again, the noise is gone and hasn't come back.

Last edited by mmcushm99; 07-24-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 PM
bgoodmug
Cruising

I didn't do it so I can't provide the details you are looking for. I think they may have found it sort of by chance. They thought it was the Power Amp so they took it apart and say this 'dirty spot' on the circuit board inside the Power Amp. There are other possibilities that cause this & solutions but this apparently was mine.
Actually the noise came back. The next solution was to put in a new line filter. Apparently certain power surges will blow out these 12 volt filters. I'm on my 3rd one now but it still filters 90 plus percent of the whine.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:49 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

FWIW, I ran into a similar thing on my wife's Infiniti FX35 the first week she had it. An intermittent buzzing from the rear speakers, didn't matter if the radio was on or off or if the car was running, but the ignition had to be on. Turned out that the speakers were picking up interference from the harness for the power tailgate of all things. The solution was to insulate the offending harnesses (double wrap with tape) and move them away from the speaker harnesses.

Apparently it was a common problem for FX35s, the dealer service dept knew exactly what it was when I took it in. Here's a link to the factory TSB:

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...id=379&id=1486

I know it's a completely different vehicle, but this interference from another electrical harness may be the same cause of some of the mysterious speaker noises described above, in which case some electrical tape was an easy and effective fix.

Or maybe not
The following users liked this post:
Evan Sanza (11-18-2019)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:55 PM
bgoodmug
Cruising

Originally Posted by wjnjr
FWIW, I ran into a similar thing on my wife's Infiniti FX35 the first week she had it. An intermittent buzzing from the rear speakers, didn't matter if the radio was on or off or if the car was running, but the ignition had to be on. Turned out that the speakers were picking up interference from the harness for the power tailgate of all things. The solution was to insulate the offending harnesses (double wrap with tape) and move them away from the speaker harnesses.

Apparently it was a common problem for FX35s, the dealer service dept knew exactly what it was when I took it in. Here's a link to the factory TSB:

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...id=379&id=1486

I know it's a completely different vehicle, but this interference from another electrical harness may be the same cause of some of the mysterious speaker noises described above, in which case some electrical tape was an easy and effective fix.

Or maybe not
Yeah a short or "interference" somewhere in the electrical system may always be the problem. But that requires a lot of electrical troubleshooting if there's not a known cause or a possible cause.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:39 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

True, and Corvettes don't have power tailgates either. The point was that in this case the noise was caused by the speaker harness running parallel to, and in contact with, another electrical harness. Easy enough to check and correct with the door panel off.

Just a guess really, hope anyone who fixes a speaker noise will post their solution

Last edited by wjnjr; 08-01-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 AM
mmcushm99
7th Gear

Actually the noise came back. The next solution was to put in a new line filter. Apparently certain power surges will blow out these 12 volt filters. I'm on my 3rd one now but it still filters 90 plus percent of the whine.
After reseating the radio connections, the noise completely went away and did not come back. I was just adding to this post stating my symptoms and solution in the hopes that it would help others.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:30 PM
r2boxers
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Keep the radio off and put in a CD.

My radio is rarely on.

Frustrating problem indeed.
Same problem with CD's or the radio. Can drive for 2 days and nothing. Get it in the next day and it is fine then all of a sudden it starts to whine also from all speakers. Wish I had an answer.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Joe Wendell
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2007 Z06 with pioneer head unit/focal speakers. Same issue with tweeter behind driver seat increases whining with rpm. Bumps set it off and stops when it feels like it. Makes me think it is a loose connection at the back of the head unit. I will start there and report back if I come up with a solution.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
bgoodmug
Cruising

Originally Posted by Guild

Thanks
If you read the thread I updated it to indicate it was most likely NOT the soldering flux on the Power amp circuit board. What is the actual cause is undetermined but it is eliminated by a Line filter between the Power Amp and the radio.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:09 PM
stevedrummer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default noise from speakers

If you read the thread I updated it to indicate it was most likely NOT the soldering flux on the Power amp circuit board. What is the actual cause is undetermined but it is eliminated by a Line filter between the Power Amp and the radio.
So my noise problem comes from speakers when the radio is in the off mode. It usually occurs when the car is in a garage. And it only lasts for a few seconds, then goes away. Doesn't happen when the radio or CD is on (have the NAV radio on a 2008).

Somehow the speakers are storing a load even when the radio is off and releasing the noise when the car is started (car is always running when this happens). It does not seem to be RPM related, since it is usually when the car just starts up.

My warranty is ready to expire, so worth noting if it is a manufacturing defect.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Aftermarket amps need the RCA cables ran away from the power cable or really good shielding used or higher quality rca cables.

I have a buzzing that occurs in the driver side pillar but i have that issue in both my c5 and c6. Sounds like a speaker buzz but its not a speaker.

Any other buzzing is a bad ground location. Use a bigger ground cable or better ground. Could be a problem in the fuse box if it only happens after time and heat expanding the fuse block panel.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 AM
mmcushm99
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mmcushm99
2007 with NAV same issue. Speaker in driver door is the source of the humming noise, you could put your hand on the speaker and feel the vibration. After working on this for awhile, replacing the air sensor, etc. I found that the root cause was the NAV radio. Hitting the dash by the air sensor could make the noise come and go. Also opening the display (to load a CD) and slightly pushing the door left or right would make the noise come and go. Pulled the radio, re-seated all the connections, haven't had the noise come back. Pretty simple fix from my perspective.

The noise came back early 2016. I took out the radio again, re-seated the connectors and wire tied the cables under and behind the radio to keep them up off the chassis basically suspending the cables in the air. This seems to be where the interference is coming from and once again, the noise is gone and hasn't come back.
May 2017: Once again the noise came back and once again I re-seated the connectors, tied the cables behind the radio up even higher this time and, once again the noise is gone. I'm sensing a trend... Seems like every so often this is needed. Getting skilled at removing the center console.

Attaching a video of the humming noise. Radio is off, engine is off and the car is in accessory mode. Hitting the side of the radio will make the noise come and go. Happens on the road when hitting a bump.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
radio noise.MOV (1.35 MB, 227 views)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Good, at least you found the issue.

Ya poor solder joints and messy flux can be a problem.

Have lots of experience with this in CB radios, amps and coax.

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound coming from speakers when radio on or off?!?! HELP!?