C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you love the refinement in the C6 over the C5, how do you mod with it in mind?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you love the refinement in the C6 over the C5, how do you mod with it in mind?

I have had my 2008 MN6 base coupe with standard exhaust for about 2 years now, it has trapped 116mph and I *love* how much quietness/refinement it offers... so my motivation to mod it resulting in any refinement/NVH changes is not anything i'm interested in.

Far as things i'd like to improve, it probably needs the Z51 sways and poly bushings... I wish it felt a little more confident in the turns and maybe not so "wobbly", i've owned japanese sports cars previously that were crude, but they had a steering/suspension precision that communicated a lot more with the driver letting you know where the limit was before you went too far... i'm not comfortable pushing the vette hard, hoping the sways/bushings resolve that for me.

Braking I wouldn't change, I don't track the car except for drag and they hold up fine on the street for some typical spirited driving.

Power wise, i'd like to do something... I know the ULTIMATE answer is to supercharge it, but I don't have the budget for that currently and would like to make cost effective changes that retain the quietness and drivability it already has... that means NO cam upgrades, no matter how "civil" a cam upgrade has been considered i'm the kind of guy that drives to work at 1000rpm in 6th listening to some tunes sometimes, to me ANY comprimise in powerband is bad... nothing is "tolerable".

I do not plan to change out the stock exhaust either, everyone hates how quiet it is... I love it.

So far my "menu" i've considered so far would be:

-z51 swaybars and poly bushings
-airaid intake/filter
-ported intake manifold
-ported throttle body
-kooks coated 1 7/8" catted headers/xpipe (will these sound TINNY taking off from lights?)
-dyno tune
*possibly upgraded shocks

Given that basic setup, what kind of gains should be realized? I don't care much about "peak" power, but I want something that shows a decent gain at the drag strip and the handling to be marginally improved. I want to remove the "boring" from the car in power and handling.

Any recommendations on alignment specs for stock runflat tires? I don't want to go too aggressive and increase tire wear as when i'm done I want to be able to drive the car anywhere anytime without giving up anything.

I posted this because most posts revolve around added noise, peak horsepower and "crudeness" to make their car sound mean, i'm looking for the gains without that.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

All those engine mods are going to be around $3k installed unless you get some super deal, and are going to yield somewhere between 5-10% more power. That's a lot of money for not much power.

The cost is almost halfway to a blower kit, which would yield 40+% more power. That's something you will really feel. So, imo, those engine mods are not cost-effective. Save up and get the blower.

I'd pass on the bushings, too, if you want refinement. Consider some better shocks instead.

Just imo. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gannet
All those engine mods are going to be around $3k installed unless you get some super deal, and are going to yield somewhere between 5-10% more power. That's a lot of money for not much power.

The cost is almost halfway to a blower kit, which would yield 40+% more power. That's something you will really feel. So, imo, those engine mods are not cost-effective. Save up and get the blower.

I'd pass on the bushings, too, if you want refinement. Consider some better shocks instead.

Just imo. Good luck!
I'm doing the installation myself, anyone running the poly bushings that can attribute any validity to it adding NVH when properly lubricated?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I added Phadt poly bushings to my sway bars and can't really notice any difference
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
yellow08
Advanced

If you like quiet, you're not going to get it. I installed 1 7/8 ARH headers, x-pipe, high flow cats (& kept my stock dual mode exhaust). It's not loud unless I get on it, but when the dual mode exhaust opens up, it's "call the police" LOUD for anyone behind you.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yellow08
If you like quiet, you're not going to get it. I installed 1 7/8 ARH headers, x-pipe, high flow cats (& kept my stock dual mode exhaust). It's not loud unless I get on it, but when the dual mode exhaust opens up, it's "call the police" LOUD for anyone behind you.
I don't mind LOUD when WOT and i'm on standard mufflers, not NPP, but I don't want that tingy noise taking off from stop lights you often get with stainless pipes and annoying resonance / increased volume when just cruising around <2500rpm
Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackfd
I don't mind LOUD when WOT and i'm on standard mufflers, not NPP, but I don't want that tingy noise taking off from stop lights you often get with stainless pipes and annoying resonance / increased volume when just cruising around <2500rpm
Maybe look into z06 headers? I'd imagine just about every aftermarket header is going to have that issue.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here’s what I have so far:

160° thermostat with the fan settings reprogrammed
Ported FAST intake manifold
Ported throttle body (with screen removed, if you have one)
Smooth intake couplers
VaraRam CAI (with the TB spacer)
Comp Cams 1.85:1 roller rockers
Comp Cams pushrods
SLP Powerbond 25% underdrive crankshaft pulley (with crankshaft pin kit)
Corsa Sport exhaust muffler system
Oil catch can
LAPD tunnel plate
Second Skin insulation throughout the whole interior
GM Z06 sway bars
LGM end links
Koni FSD shocks
Huper Optik window tinting

Here’s what’s on my list to purchase when funds are available to finish the job:

ARH or LGM headers; Jet-Hot coated
Magnuson supercharger (TVS 1900, maybe)
MSD coils (after they have finished redesigning them)
Optima battery D35
WCC brake package
Wide rear fenders
Toyo tires (R-compound on the rears only)

Fun stuff!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:50 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Sound like you have a good handle on things. Coated headers are a great upgrade, cooler interior and a bit more power. Z51 sways are bettewr for neutral handling. The Z06 bars will make it a bit more tail happy on turns (oversteer easier) Shocks, Z51 are an upgrade but the Z06 shocks are probably the best bang for the buck! I have added a Zo6 engine oil cooler and a Transmission cooler too (A6).
If you do drags the Corvette shocks wont help that (no weight transfer)
if you are into track time (road course) the a good alignment & corner weighting will help a lot that said the endlinks need to be adjustable to do that and the standard adjustable are noisy. LG has quiet end links ( i need them) brakes stock is great unless you do road courses then add cooling ducts from Quantum motousports and Z06 ducts from Chevy
Old 03-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Larry R
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have replaced the stock sways with Z-51 and felt an improvement in the cornering and the steering felt more responsive. I also have the LAPD tunnel plate. But if you want to retain some civility and be able to hear your tunes while cruising, consider Exotic Vette's insulaton kit. I put in mine and noticed a big difference. The stock tires "sing" on some road surfaces and I find that annoying. The insulation kit helped in that regime.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the car to handle.....Coilovers and Z06 sways. The coilovers will give you the adjustability needed to tune the suspension to what works for you. The coilovers will cost you though.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 PM
smooth is fast
Intermediate

I love my Koni FSD shocks. I am running a Z51 and one of the stock front shocks had started puking fluid at 18K miles. The Konis are like butter when cruising and tight when 'playing'!

Get notified of new replies

To If you love the refinement in the C6 over the C5, how do you mod with it in mind?

Quick Reply: If you love the refinement in the C6 over the C5, how do you mod with it in mind?