C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator removal / transmission oil cooler lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
JDBlack7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator removal / transmission oil cooler lines?

I've searched on this forum and haven't had any luck.

Can someone please tell me if you have to use the quick disconnect tools (J-41623-B & DT-47730) to remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the radiator, or can you just unscrew the fitting from the radiator and leave the quick disconnect fitting attached to the lines.

I got lucky & purchased the DT-47730 from Ebay but so far haven't had any luck removing the 1/2 lines. I hate to have to buy another specialty tool for the 3/8 inch lines if I don't have too, especially since it's about $75.00 for this tool.

Working on my head & cam swap on my C6. So far it hasn't been too tough, but this radiator is becoming a pain.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

You can pickup a disconnect tool set at any auto parts much cheaper.
usually the whole set is about $10
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
kent moore has the right tools, but they are expensive........... you can take a pick tool, after removing the outer ring back, and very carefully pry the spring clip out of the radiator fitting. your chev. dealer can get them for you if you lose it. pull the line out. to install, put the spring clip back in correctly, and just push the line back in. slide outer collar back in place to secure it. note: you will have to evacuate the a/c system and disconnect the condenser lines to remove the radiator. be sure and get new seals for the lines when going back. thank an engineer for having to do this, as they designed the lower condenser pipe UNDER the side tank of the radiator......
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just removed my radiator this wknd. Well, actually my buddy did. I was busy swaping the clutch assembly. He used nothing more than a tiny flat head screwdriver. Pulled the pin out and used a wrench on the line to break it lose.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Redrocket1045
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Radiator removal / transmission oil cooler lines?

As memtioned before - just slide the black protectors and remove the clips with a small screwdriver. The lines can be then pulled out. You might want to cap the lines and the radiator holes to prevent more ATF from spilling. As for the condensor, just move it up and either let it lay on the intake or use a bungy cord to support it out of the way(protect the edge of the hood) for your cam swap. This is what I did when I changed out my cam. Hope this works for you.
The following users liked this post:
2014GT (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM
moog5050
Racer

Originally Posted by cranky
kent moore has the right tools, but they are expensive........... you can take a pick tool, after removing the outer ring back, and very carefully pry the spring clip out of the radiator fitting. your chev. dealer can get them for you if you lose it. pull the line out. to install, put the spring clip back in correctly, and just push the line back in. slide outer collar back in place to secure it. note: you will have to evacuate the a/c system and disconnect the condenser lines to remove the radiator. be sure and get new seals for the lines when going back. thank an engineer for having to do this, as they designed the lower condenser pipe UNDER the side tank of the radiator......
Not sure if you meant that the dealer can or can't get the clips if lost, but when I tried to purchase a replacement clip, I was told you need to buy the whole cooler. I spent a lot of time finding my clip after that.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I have successfully R&R'd radiators four seperate times on three different cars without disconnecting AC lines FWIW.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:54 PM
JDBlack7
Advanced

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
I've been to them all...Autozone, Napa & Pep Boys, none to them sell this tool. This is a specialty tool made by Kent Moore, and the one for the 3/8 line is $75.00...not including shipping, so your looking @ about a $80.00 unless you can locate one used on Ebay.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JDBlack7
I've been to them all...Autozone, Napa & Pep Boys, none to them sell this tool. This is a specialty tool made by Kent Moore, and the one for the 3/8 line is $75.00...not including shipping, so your looking @ about a $80.00 unless you can locate one used on Ebay.

Thanks for your help.
I hate to tell you but the standard disconnect tools work fine.
I got one at Advanced Auto! and yes I have used it, although a pick will do the job
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by moog5050
Not sure if you meant that the dealer can or can't get the clips if lost, but when I tried to purchase a replacement clip, I was told you need to buy the whole cooler. I spent a lot of time finding my clip after that.
i don't know who told you that, but my dealer has them in stock......
Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
I have successfully R&R'd radiators four seperate times on three different cars without disconnecting AC lines FWIW.
how bad did you bend up the condenser lines. my customers don't like their a/c to stop working later on from a cracked or damaged line.........
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a pick and just pull the "e" clip out , then the lines will pop right out, re-install the "e" clips and the lines will click right back in. It's easy.
The following users liked this post:
08Csix (08-06-2021)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:56 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
The deal is.. this a fine wall tool, regular ac and fuel tools don't work, here are some pictures. the purple tool is the one, they came off in a mater of seconds. I borrowed from my buddy that has a rad shop, the tool is fragile so do it with the lines disconnected from the radiator.
I originally thought these where a standard type fitting on my 02 NOPE its the quick fit type, this rad cost me $120 but $100 worth of aggravation, but now I know, and I hope this will help somebody with this project. it did save me a bunch of money ! and I like a challenge every once and awhile.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:50 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

[QUOTE=motorwiz;1591202975]The deal is.. this a fine wall tool, regular ac and fuel tools don't work, here are some pictures. [
Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Or just pull the clips out with a pick? Takes 5 seconds. Put clips back on and push lines in to reassemble. No need for fancy tools.

Also.. This thread is 5 years old...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info, I'm in the process of removing my radiator.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:41 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Or just pull the clips out with a pick? Takes 5 seconds. Put clips back on and push lines in to reassemble. No need for fancy tools.

Also.. This thread is 5 years old...
there are no clips ! this is a quick fit radiator. It requires a special tool, so if you cant see a clip and you are using a aftermarket radiator, find the special tool first. tool takes 2 seconds

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator removal / transmission oil cooler lines?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by motorwiz
there are no clips ! this is a quick fit radiator. It requires a special tool, so if you cant see a clip and you are using a aftermarket radiator, find the special tool first. tool takes 2 seconds
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24205103 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Fitting Retainer: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24205103 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Fitting Retainer: Automotive

You are absolutely wrong. There is a clip that runs the circumference of the connection that can be very easily removed. I've done it probably 100 times now on stock radiator. GM uses them all over the place. There's at least 6 on the transmission hoses. They've used them for decades now

I agree the tool is pretty cool, but if you think that's the only way to remove them then you are wrong.

This is the same style connector. The clip going around the outside of the fitting is not a solid piece. It has one open end and can easily be pulled removed

This also shows the "open" end of the clip just to prove that it isn't one solid piece

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-17-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:08 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

[QUOTE=schpenxel;1591343439]You are absolutely wrong. There is a clip that runs the circumference of the connection that can be very easily removed. I've done it probably 100 times now on stock radiator. GM uses them all over the place. There's at least 6 on the transmission hoses. They've used them for decades now

So I'm making this up ? 2002 conv sport has a option, the common clip style radiator OR THE QUICK FIT it's a $350 Op type the one I used and made work, "and that's my cost !" you need to do one more radiator, as you have no clue on how the quick fits work dude !
and I thought I was slick, I've done thousands or radiators.

HEADS UP IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHANGE YOUR RADIATOR
, FIRST THING YOU ATTACK IS THE TOP TRANS COOLER LINE, IF YOU SEE A CLIP= KOOL. IF YOU DON'T=TOOL. next the drain plug see pix, requires a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and extension OR a 3/16 allen as it's a one way nut.
I try to post facts, posting misinformation hinders members success, and can cost them money and time, so if you want to chime in, please know what you talking about. you can, try to delete post that are misleading, that would be realy helpfull
Attached Images     

Last edited by motorwiz; 01-17-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: pix
Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

Default The right info 2002 sport quick fit transmission cooling line fittings

[QUOTE=schpenxel;1591343439]
Amazon.com: ACDelco 24205103 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Fitting Retainer: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 24205103 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Fitting Retainer: Automotive

schpenxel stated..
you are absolutely wrong There is a clip'' Who..ME never, you on the other hand at least once ! NOW THIS IS hilarious, in you haste to post a link to amazon, you failed to look at the common other thing used just slightly down the page. keep up the good work, u r a BIG HELP.
HERE IS A GREAT DEAL ON THE TOOL NEEDED OR should I say required, OR mandatory.
Amazon.com: OTC 7937 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect Tool for GM: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 7937 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect Tool for GM: Automotive
Attached Images  

Last edited by motorwiz; 01-17-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: LINK ADDED

Quick Reply: Radiator removal / transmission oil cooler lines?